Eye problems while under a statin regimen?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Eye problems while under a statin regimen?

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:09 pm

I have read queries on this forum of those of us who have experienced vision problems attributable to statin use; myself included. It is not your imagination.

*www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18930555

Abstract: Casey Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239-4197, USA. *eyedrug@ohsu.edu

PURPOSE: To report the association between 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-CoA (HMG-CoA) reductase inhibitors (statins) and diplopia, blepharoptosis (ptosis), and ophthalmoplegia. DESIGN: Database study. PARTICIPANTS: Two hundred fifty-six subjects studied. CONCLUSIONS: According to WHO criteria, the relationship between statin therapy and diplopia, ptosis, or ophthalmoplegia is possible.

Your ophthalmologist may be interested in this document.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby BSGfan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:21 am

After many years on Lopid and Zocor, I developed frequent shimmering visual distortions that were diagnosed as ocular migraines. I went off the medications, and I found the ocular migraines subsided dramatically. However, they have not ceased altogether. I find that 25 mg Atenolol daily supresses them.
BSGfan

Postby David Staup » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:19 pm

I had the same problem (ocular migranes) prior to statins...500mg vitamin c took care of them for me and when I stopped the vit c for a while they returned.

David
David Staup

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs