Neurontin helped my nerve pain

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Neuropathy associated with statin drug use.

Neurontin helped my nerve pain

Postby redheadedmary » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:34 pm

I am recovering from shingles right now. I am sure many of you are aware of the nerve pain that it causes. I got to the doctor right away and got on medicine. I absolutely refused to take, accept a narcotic pain medicine for the nerve pain. I wanted something non-addictive, something where I could still function, drive........ Well he mentioned Lyrica, but its a new drug and very expensive copay for me, so we went with neurontin. I must say it is helping the nerve pain, not completely numbing it but helping a lot. Best thing is it is cheap and doesn't seem to have too many interactions with other medicines. I just wanted to share this info just in case it maybe could work for someone else who is having nerve pain.
redheadedmary

pain

Postby vipergg22 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:09 am

Glad to hear you can take it ok, I tried to take that once for neuropathy and it made me into a walking zombie , took all my energy away and didn't feel like doing anything.
vipergg22

Postby catspjs » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:12 pm

I am a "recovering" ex statin user who has had problems with getting shingles too....Would be interesting poll how many of us that was on statins has gotten shingles when our immune systems were down from the statin use...
I have neuropathy also...started in my feet...now has affected my face...will get sharp pain along a nerve and within twenty four hours will get a shingle eruptions along that line...it is my opinion that zocor damaged my nervous system...( My muscles are much better)...I have "graduated" from neurontin as it stopped working...I now have to take lyrica plus cymbalta which keeps me relatively pain free...I am grateful my new Dr. doesn't try to push statins on me...I fired the old one because of his attitude toward statins and his refusal to discuss any alternative for me....we have to take our health care into our own hands...the days of meekly accepting a dr's advice or prescriptions are over...With computers we have a wonderful source of information that we can look up things and decide for ourself...and most of all we have the right to say NO>..........
catspjs

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:15 pm

Catspjs: Shingles is also known as Herpes Zoster - a latent manifestation of chicken pox. It is my belief that Zocor, et al, can either activate the latent presentatons of CP, or that latent CP is one of the reasons some of us are so severely affected by Statins.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Shingles after Statins

Postby bacoury » Sun May 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Brooks,

I had both Chicken Pox and two bouts of Shingles as an adult. I did a little research each time and I understand the Shingles virus lays dormant near the nerve roots. On the two occasions I developed Shingles, I could pinpoint the point in time in which I had pulled a muscle or had a particulary deep massage that triggered the outbreak about four days later. Doctors tried to tell me it was stress related, but I can see where folks with tight contracted muscles after Statin damage could end up pulling muscles and thereby stimulating those nerve roots triggering an outbreak. I haven't had an episode of Shingles in years, and certainly not after stopping Zocor about 3 months ago, but I haven't been able to exercise a whole lot either!

Brian
bacoury

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun May 03, 2009 4:51 pm

Brian: I remain convinced there is a 'trigger' connection between Statins and latent CP effects.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:57 am

Has Neurotin been approved by the FDA for nerve pain other than Shingle nerve pain? I understand there was a lawsuit concerning Neurotin because of false advertising.

gotts
gotts1936

neuropathy

Postby vipergg22 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:43 am

Something to try that is not a prescription medicine is to try something called MetanX . It is a prescription strength of B vitamins and folic acid . This seems to have helped me quite a bit with the burning after I have been on my feet for prolonged periods and have only been taking it for like 2 months at this point. Being only high strength vitamins I have seen no side effects at all . It is a prescription and runns me like $35 a month, my podiatrist is the one who had me try it . It is supposedly much more bioavailable than trying to take and equivalent amount of over the counter vitamins which would be a whole handful . I have seen enough improvement to keep on taking it . You can go to their website and read up on it. If it can actually help regenerate the myelin sheath then thats what causes all the issues with neuropathy , time will tell.
vipergg22

Return to Neuropathy and Statins