CO Q-10 and antibiotics

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Muscle Pain associated with statin drug use.

CO Q-10 and antibiotics

Postby BSGfan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:00 pm

I have had some success using Co enzyme Q-10 to relieve statin induced burning and cramping symptoms. I will also try L-Carnitine.

I am currently taking oral antibiotics for an infected cut in one foot. Is it okay to take these supplements in conjunction with antibiotics? I have heard that taking antacids with Q-10 can increase chances of yeast infections in the gut.
BSGfan

Postby Ray Holder » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi BSGfan
I have not heard of interactions between Q10 and antibiotics, the antacid case is a one off, the yeast only grows because the antacid pills neutralise the acid conditions in the stomach which normally prevent yeast growth, it is not really an infection.

Some penicillins can cause carnitine deficiency, and the reduction of Q10 by statins can also reduce carnitine production, so carnitine would help to stave off further damage, and of course, Q10 supplementation would help to avert carnitine deficiency becoming too great in the first place.

I had this response ready for preview this morning, but I think the Thanksgiving Day burst of traffic on the web prevented me from completing the posting until now, mid evening. Happy Day!!
Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Muscle Pain and Statins