Symptoms came back when I tried to take Cinnamon and Niacin

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Muscle Pain associated with statin drug use.

Symptoms came back when I tried to take Cinnamon and Niacin

Postby SusieO » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:26 pm

I stopped taking Lipitor almost 3 years ago due to extreme pain/swelling/weakness in my legs and arms as well as memory problems. After resting my body I tried Lopid (Gemfibrizol) and after less than a week I developed the same symptoms so I stopped it.

I rested again and my symptoms got much better. I thought I would try cinnamon capsules to lower my high triglycerides and had the same pain/weakness after one week.

My chiropractor gave me a multi-vitamin to take and after being on it for 4 days I began to experience pain in my rt. arm and then the next day it was toe cramps, leg pain and also in my left arm. After doing a bit of research and getting some help from Fran I discovered it was the Niacin in the vitamin.

It seems that I am one of the "lucky" ones that isn't able to take anything to lower my numbers - I have to do it with lifestyle changes.

Has anyone else had these same problems when trying to take natural supplements and if so did you have problems with anything that I may need to watch out for in the future?

I am afraid to put anything in my mouth now no matter what it is for fear of the pain/weakness. Each time I have these flare-ups I worry will this be the time that it stays and does not go away!

Thanks much,
Sue
SusieO

Postby Darrell » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 pm

Perhaps your body is telling you that you shouldn't lower your numbers.
Darrell

Postby SusieO » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:37 pm

[quote="Darrell"]Perhaps your body is telling you that you shouldn't lower your numbers.[/quote]

Darrell; that may very well be, but as of last year my triglycerides were 419 - which is not good.
SusieO

Postby catspajamas » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:34 pm

A Old General practioner told me to cut all sugar out of my diet ...he said that will bring cholesteral levels including triglyceides down naturally....I tried it..and guess what?....It has......
catspajamas

Postby SusieO » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:59 pm

Thanks Catspajamas - I know that will work...if only I would follow it! I seem to be a carbaholic and crave sweets. I have tried many times to give up sweets and I always fail.

They have AA meetings - I need to attend some type of meeting for folks like me that are addicted to sweets and pastas! :wink:
SusieO

Postby Brian C. » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:14 pm

When you get the craving Susie have a nice slice of bread (preferably home-made) and butter instead!
After nearly 20 years of low fat diet I am rediscovering the joys of good old-fashioned filling - and fulfilling - saturated fats :)

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Muscle Pain and Statins