Leg pain and stiffness after 3 days of Zocor

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Neuropathy associated with statin drug use.

Leg pain and stiffness after 3 days of Zocor

Postby harneyn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:44 am

I started Zocor on 1 October and the next morning I had calf muscle pain, then it progressed to the entire leg. After 3 days I felt my thighs were like a speed skater in the Olympics.

Stopped the Zocor. My legs still feel the same after three weeks. Is there something I can do to lessen these effects?

Amazing it came on so fast - as most people seem to have this after months or years. Wonder what it is about my body that reacted so quickly??

TIA,
Ann
________
[URL=http://www.vaporshop.com/iolite-vaporizer.html]buy iolite vaporizer[/URL]
Last edited by harneyn on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
harneyn

Leg muscle etc pain

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:52 pm

harneyn

You should try some carnitine quickly for your muscle pain which I believe to be due to a lack of carnitine to remove "combustion" products from muscle energy production. It can act in hours to relieve pain.

As this all happened so quickly, I suspect that your Q10 production has had a severe blow, and supplementary Q10 will probably be needed to prevent further damage to other systems and particularly your carnitine production, which can easily get permanently affected.

How long will this scourge be allowed to inflict such damage on healthy people on the pretext of preventing catastrophe, and it's not much good at that either!!

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Darrell » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:10 pm

You would probably benefit from Q10 and possibly L-Carnitine. Go through my posts or Ray Holder's posts over the last six months or just search each topic on this board and look at recent posts.

Q10 helped me, but the biggest symptom relief after 16 months of leg muscle problems came from taking L-Carnitine at Ray's suggestion. The results were fantastic. It has been six months since I started on L-Carnitine. I currently take 600 mg/day of Q10 and 2,000 to 2,500 mg/day of L-Carnitine, both in divided doses.

Without L-Carnitine I'm doing only somewhat better than 22 months ago, but with it I can do normal activity for most of the day and generally sleep without leg aches. Beats the heck out of those mostly-sedentary days and many sleepless nights I lost to leg aches before L-Carnitine. It's relief but not a cure for me. Some of us get better and some don't. Lots of variables!
Darrell

Thanks..

Postby harneyn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:33 pm

I will look into these products. Legs are worse today... what a pain. And I was told I 'must' take statins!

Ann
________
[URL=http://no2vaporizers.com]N02 VAPORIZER[/URL]
Last edited by harneyn on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
harneyn

Postby Darrell » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:08 am

At some point you have to decide for yourself what you must do in regard to the statins. I decided when I was so fatigued and weak that I almost couldn't get up the stairs in my home. Had I decided sooner, I might have avoided a lot of leg muscle problems (and who knows what else). Statins wrecked 16 months of my life (until I started L-Carnitine), and it appears the leg muscle damage is permanent.

I suggest that you ask your doctor what your risk of fatal heart attack is both with and without statins. When I did a serious assessment of that, I found that it was something like 3%/year without a statin and 2%/year with a statin. Statin enthusiasts will tell you that that's a "33% reduction" in risk, but I'm pretty sure that a sleepless, sedentary life of leg pain would do me in faster than any heart attack, plus eventually the statin (Zocor) may have ruined my heart muscles too.
Darrell

Legs are necessary for a quality life!

Postby harneyn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:34 pm

Legs woke me up during the night. I went to look for the supplements mentioned... bit dear they are!

Started on the CoC10 600mg. did not bring enough $$$ for the other. You still have leg pain?

I have just about decided no statins for me. Will work on alternatives. Have no noted heart problems - yet.

Ann
________
[URL=http://www.fucktube.com/categories/26/lesbian/videos/1]Lesbian Movies[/URL]
Last edited by harneyn on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
harneyn

Postby Darrell » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:57 pm

I still have the leg pain when the L-Carnitine wears off -- which doesn't happen very often anymore. I carry four 500 mg capsules in a pillbox on my keychain now as an "emergency supply". 500 mg is good for three or four hours of normal activity. I don't take it at night.

If the Q10 and L-Carnitine work for you, you'll find they're a lot cheaper to buy in large quantities at places like vitacost.com.
Darrell

Postby adec » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:53 am

[quote="Darrell"]I still have the leg pain when the L-Carnitine wears off -- which doesn't happen very often anymore. I carry four 500 mg capsules in a pillbox on my keychain now as an "emergency supply". 500 mg is good for three or four hours of normal activity. I don't take it at night.

If the Q10 and L-Carnitine work for you, you'll find they're a lot cheaper to buy in large quantities at places like vitacost.com.[/quote]

Darrell there are even more affordable and equally as good sources. I'm going to compile a message with information that hopefully will be helpful to you, as well as everyone harmed by statins. In this way, we can try to eliminate costs as being an overriding factor in the decision to purchase these much-needed, though expensive, supplements. I'm hoping to post this information within the next week.
adec

Good purchase places is a great idea..

Postby harneyn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:26 pm

I was looking online for the two products.. not a good source around here - except Walmart the Ubiquitous.

My first page on the L-carnitine lists Acetyl L-carnitine.... already lost!
I am looking for plain L-carnitine - right.

Took 3 x 200 mg tabs of CoQ10 in three doses- and my legs feel better. One more than the other.... odd.

TAI
Ann
________
[URL=http://herbalairevaporizer.com]herbalaire vaporizer[/URL]
Last edited by harneyn on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
harneyn

Postby Darrell » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:08 pm

I've had the same results with both L-Carnitine and Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl. Others on this board, including Ray Holder, are a bit more particular than I am.
Darrell

Update on Zocor effects

Postby harneyn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:42 am

Started Zocor - 20 mg for four days starting October 1. Early am on 2 October my calf muscles ached. Each day for three more days the pain progressed from calf to thigh, to hips, and gluteus maximus. At this point I stopped due to leg and muscle pain - did try to contact MD w/o success.

Went into the office two days later and he gave me muscle relaxants that did not help.

It is 30 days now and the leg muscles are no better, and often more painful. My legs feel as they each weigh 100 lbs, and like I am walking on two telephone poles. Muscle relaxants did not help, nor did tylenol or ibuprofen.

I was just started on Prednisone. It relieves the tension in the leg muscles. Will it last?

I had no leg problems prior to taking Zocor... full blood pressure check showed no difference in flow down to my toes.

9 October CPK test - results in normal range. Referred to a Neurolgist.
What next Lord?

Ann
________
[URL=http://jailbroken.org/]jailbroken[/URL]
harneyn

Postby Darrell » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:24 am

Have you tried the L-Carnitine yet?
Darrell

L-Carnitine

Postby harneyn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Yes... purchased some at Walmart that was all dried up and broken, so returned those and went to another place.

Started this week...
Take CoQ10 200 x 3 and L-Carnitine 500 x 3

Cannot tell if there is any effect.

The Prednisone relieved the leg muscle tension, but now my knee and hip joints hurt. Really scary...feel that I have aged 20 years in a month!

Ann
________
[URL=http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_AD_platform]Chrysler AD platform[/URL]
harneyn

Postby AnneW » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:01 pm

to harneyn re: Nov 3 Post: Prednisone is a very wonderful, almost instant relief pill. I have been put on several courses of prednisone since Jan 2006. At this date I am down to 7.5mg / day. Personally I would suggest not going the prednisone route. Every time they give it to you it becomes less effective and the return to the pain is almost unbearable. Prednisone also has some very serious side effects- please research it. I have been trying for over a month to reduce my dose and get totally off the prednisone, but so far have been unsuccessful. Give the Q10 and Carnitine a chance. They have helped me tremendously - pain level was reduced from 25 to 50 % depending on my activity level. Wish you the best in your struggle.
AnneW
AnneW

Thanks!

Postby harneyn » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:42 pm

I realize Prednisone is not a solution... and hope the rebound is not terrible.

It has released some of the tension on the muscles, but the joints hurt now.

I have aged 15 years in the last month! What a horror!

And the MD says I need a statin ... chances are slim to none! Wonder the rationale of prolonging life by living in pain!

Ann
________
[URL=http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_C-Max]Ford C-Max[/URL]
harneyn

Return to Neuropathy and Statins