Should my hubby take it slow, getting off Vytorin?

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Should my hubby take it slow, getting off Vytorin?

Postby greens4christ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:54 pm

Hey There,
My husband is ready to stop taking this. He has been on it for 3 months.
He also has mild Pleural Effusion that we feel is an adverse reaction to it.
In that case....does he quit cold turkey or wean off of it.
Thanks
Missy
greens4christ

Wean Off Of It

Postby Darrell » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:17 pm

Space Doc's recommendation:
"My strong recommendation then is that a statin user who has made the decision to stop his or her statin must do so gradually over at least a two-week period. Pill cutters are invaluable for this process. For example, someone on Lipitor 40mg will cut to 20 for a few days, then 10 for a few days, then 5 and 2.5mg. In this manner any peaking of platelet stickiness will be avoided. I might add that buffered aspirin 81mg during this tapering off phase will be helpful and also be an important part of your alternative treatment plan of omega-3, CoQ10 and vitamins B6, 12 and folic acid as discussed on my statin alternatives page."
Darrell

Postby Darrell » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:39 pm

That said, your husband's condition way warrant a faster "weaning". I stopped cold turkey because I was extremely fatigued and weak and wasn't sure I dare even wait to see my doctor first.
Darrell

Postby greens4christ » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:37 pm

Yeah, he is in so much pain. He said he can't bring himself to wean off of it because of what it did to him. We see the doc in the morning.
Did anyone have times of spasm attacks? Atleast once a day his left side and chest will just clamp up. Does moving aggrivate it to hurt REALLY bad until you find a comfortable position?
thanks,
Missy
greens4christ

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)