lactic acid build up pain........

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Muscle Pain associated with statin drug use.

lactic acid build up pain........

Postby Irene112x » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:19 pm

I was put on simvastin November of 2006. I started experiencing severe pain in both legs when walking in Feb. I complained to my Doctor about my leg pain. She assumed it was a slipped disc. I continued taking simvastin for two months. I found this web site and decided to get off of the drug. My back is fine. I had every test there is and all came back normal. If I walk for more than 30 seconds at a time the acid begins to build in my legs. It feels like I have completed a marathon. Since I have removed myself from the medicine the pain is more managable. I still can not go up a flight of stairs without stopping. I have to stand still to allow the lactic acid to go away. I am afraid I will never get better. I am 36 years old. My Doctor said I should'nt have pain since I removed myself from the drug. I dont think she believes me.
Is the pain I am discribing the same as any of you?
Irene112x

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:18 pm

Irene: Both Magnesium and Potassium aid the body in eliminating toxins. You might try taking these at the daily recommended dosage for a few weeks to see if it helps. Also, and more importantly, is that you stay WELL hydrated. For some reason Statins effect the cells ability to regulate fluids. Drink LOTS of water during the day to help the body 'push' the lactic acid out of your system.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Re: lactic acid build up pain........

Postby poohhel » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:48 am

[quote="Irene112x"] I started experiencing severe pain in both legs when walking in Feb. ... I had every test there is and all came back normal. If I walk for more than 30 seconds at a time the acid begins to build in my legs. ... It feels like I have completed a marathon. Since I have removed myself from the medicine the pain is more managable. I still can not go up a flight of stairs without stopping. ... I am 36 years old. My Doctor said I should'nt have pain since I removed myself from the drug. I dont think she believes me.
Is the pain I am discribing the same as any of you?[/quote]

Irene112x: I know exactly the pain and feeling. I am 44 and started experiencing the same problem. I don't know if its from the acid as you say but I do know that I have problems walking for long periods and going up and down stairs... I have been off Vytorin since March after being on the drug since November 2005 (16 months). Little by little it is getting better BUT my doctor too thinks I should be feeling better since I am off and I get the feeling my doctor thinks I am exaggerating my problems... since all the test show nothing... So I do sympathize with you and wish you the best of luck!
poohhel

Postby Ray Holder » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:03 am

Hi Irene

Have you tried carnitine for your muscle pain? Carnitine is reduced by the deficiency of CoQ10 due to statin use. The two major roles of carnitine are to carry fats as fuel inrto the mitochondria of the muscle, and then to carry the "combustion" products away, the result of the inability to lose these products is a painful accumulation known as lactic acidosis. Many panellists have found relief from it.

I have just discovered more about carnitine dosage, but it always needs a bit of trial and error. Try a 500 mg capsule the very first thing on rising am, and another mid to late afternoon, if possible, 2 hours after food, and 1/2 hour before another meal. If this is insufficient, increase each dose by 1 capsule at a time after 3/4 days, but beware that too large a dose, or too rapid an increase will loosen your bowels, if so, go back by one capsule a time.

The maximum concentration in the body is obtained from a 2 gram dose, anything above that just goes to waste, and the half life of the dose is 6.5 hours, so a sufficient interval is needed between doses. However, taken too late in the day, carnitine may keep your brain too active at night, and keep you awake, so you have to find what suits you best.

I have a different version of the problem, due to previous polio, I lose strength in my back when carnitine levels get too low. I have been taking large amounts of carnitine, 5 grams first thing, 2 grams before lunch, and 1gram mid afternoon, and have still been weak and bent in the morning. Since reading the information, I have cut my am dose to 2 grams, I still take some before lunch, about 1 gram, but I have the 2gram max dose again late afternoon. In the past 3 days of this regime, I have very much more back strength in the morning, and I sleep quite well. I will try missing oit the lunchtime dose shortly to see if that is still needed, but I take such actions cautiously, to see if my other problems remain stable.
Ray Holder

Postby SusieO » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:12 am

Hi Irene; my doctor tells me the same thing "you are off the meds so you should not have any problems". I would never wish this type of pain and suffering on anyone, but it sure would be great if only for a few days our doctors who keep telling us this would have our experience and then they can see for themselves the pain may get bettter, but never goes away.

I have been off Lipitor for almost 3 years and still have problems, but none of us are alike...your problems may ease up and go away much sooner and I sure hope so!
SusieO

Doctors

Postby Irene112x » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:31 am

Thank you all for your advise. I am so happy I came across this web site. Has anyone had any experience with Doctors that take this seriously? I am curious..
Irene112x

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:17 am

Irene: Yes, there are Drs out there that understand and help. I have a family friend, an Osteopathic Dr. (D.O.), which simply means she spent another 2 yrs beyond her MD to study 'Whole Body' medicine. She is the one who told me to get off the Statins after my PCP proved unhelpful. And, Dr. Peter Langsjoen - Cardiologist - Tyler, TX., who currently studies the Statin effects syndrome. Google Dr. Peter Langsjoen - read the links that come up, and see if there are other DRs referenced, perhaps someone in your area who can help you.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Muscle Pain and Statins