Coenzyme Q-10 increasing discomfort

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Muscle Pain associated with statin drug use.

Coenzyme Q-10 increasing discomfort

Postby BSGfan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:59 pm

I have been experimenting with 50 mg coenzyme q-10 in an attempt to reduce some statin induced nerve and muscle pain that I have along my jawline, which takes the form of muscle soreness and a constant burning sensation.

I have found that the burning sensation will increase for a few hours following a dosage; this perplexed my pharmacist and my doctor. My doctor suggested that perhaps q-10 is supposed to do that, inasmuch as it is allegedly boosting activity and healing in a damaged muscle or nerve, at
least initially.

I would like to try higher dosages but am afraid of producing more uncomfortable side effects.

Comments?
BSGfan

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:03 am

Hi BSGfan

While pursuing another line (alpa lipoic acid) I came across Burning Mouth Syndrome, for which ALA might help.

However, another paragraph suggested that the yeast Candida albicans growing in the mouth might be a cause. Now taking Q10 when one is using a lot of stomach acid relief tablets will cause a stomach yeast to grow feeding on the Q10. I wonder if your problem might be similar, but in your mouth, where there is no natural acid like that normally in the stomach. I have managed to paste the url, below.

*http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&chunkiid=35540.

A bit more Googling might reveal something more of interest, but , sorry, I'm no expert

Ray
Ray Holder

Re: Coenzyme Q-10 increasing discomfort

Postby poohhel » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:42 am

[quote="BSGfan"]
I have found that the burning sensation will increase for a few hours following a dosage; this perplexed my pharmacist and my doctor. My doctor suggested that perhaps q-10 is supposed to do that, inasmuch as it is allegedly boosting activity and healing in a damaged muscle or nerve, at
least initially.

Comments?[/quote]

BSGfan: I just started taking CoQ-10 at the suggestion of this board and my doctor told me to start with 150mg in the morning and in late afternoon... But I too am experiencing an increase in the pain and burning sensation in my legs and feet since taking this supplement. I see my doctor on the 28th of August, not sure if I can continue taking this supplement until then...
poohhel

Postby BSGfan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:19 am

After four days of taking co-enzyme q-10 30 mg the burning sensation along my jawline has decreased, but the muscle soreness seems to have increased.

Not unexpectedly, most of my physicians are skeptical of long term statin induced muscle pain; most of them seem to feel my jaw problems are related to TMJ, and I will be getting a TMJ exam from my dentist shortly.

Poohhel, perhaps your initial dosage of q-10 is too potent. Maybe you should try cutting back to 30-50 mg daily and see if that makes a difference.
BSGfan

Postby poohhel » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:37 pm

[quote="BSGfan"]:Poohhel, perhaps your initial dosage of q-10 is too potent. Maybe you should try cutting back to 30-50 mg daily and see if that makes a difference.[/quote]

BSGfan: That is what I had determined... so I cut back but the numbness and burning in my feet seems to be getting worse and comes on a lot quicker than before. This whole thing is driving me bonkers...lol.
poohhel

Postby BSGfan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:07 am

My situation is also frustrating. I am grateful that my muscle burning and discomfort has been just merely annoying compared with some of the other postings on this board, but I worry about what the long term side effects might be like five or six years from now. Dr. Graveline's recent articles on the statin/ALS link are truly terrifying.

My jaw and facial discomfort today compared with what it was a year ago isn't so much exacerbated as it is disconcertingly inconsistent. One moment the cramping and burning can be extremely apparent, and an hour later I might be barely aware of it.

I suspect my upcoming dental appointment will verify my discomfort does have a sizeable TMJ element. In recent weeks, following some considerable muscle strain with the chewing of some very tough food, I seem to have discovered correlations between my jaw and facial discomfort increasing and consumption of such things as garlic, green tea, cinnamon, flax seed oil, salmon, and fish oil, all items I was consuming with little or no adverse effect just three months ago. Could this be merely a reaction to my recent muscular strain in the damaged area reaggravating the original injury, or is it a sign that the myopathy in general is progressively worsening? Worrisome, but I am determined not to allow dread of the future to rule my life.
BSGfan

Return to Muscle Pain and Statins