Coenzyme q-10 depletion continues after stopping statins?

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Muscle Pain associated with statin drug use.

Coenzyme q-10 depletion continues after stopping statins?

Postby BSGfan » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:21 pm

I have been off the statin drugs for one year and have recently heard about the link between neuromuscular problems and coenzyme q-10 depletion.

After a year, would my natural q-10 supply have returned to normal, or would it wise to begin taking q-10 supplements?
BSGfan

Postby Ray Holder » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:03 am

Hi
I was off statins for 14 months and only got worse in that time. I fear that CoQ10 damage is permanent, called statin TOXICITY by university of St Louis. I expect permanent supplementation will be necessary, and probably for Carnitine as well.
You can see the details in some of my recent posts, you can find them by clicking on my name.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby BSGfan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:29 pm

Thank you for your response.

Aren't there several varieties of Carnitine? Which would you recommend, and at what dosages?
BSGfan

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:14 am

Hi
Basically, there two forms of L carnitine, just that, and Acetyl L Carnitine,
L Carnitine prevents muscle wastage, if that is what affects you, and it will also help considerably with muscle pain from statin use. I find it necessary to keep my CK (muscle wastage ) figure down to a normal level, it is needed to carry fat as fuel into the mitochondria of the muscle, which otherwise feeds on itself to make energy.

Some on this panel manage with Acetyl carnitine to deal with muscle pain, and it is recommended for brain function problems.

There are variations such as carnitine fumarate and propional?? carnitine, which are supposed to aid absorbtion, personally I don't find a need.

Dosage is something to experiment with to find what suits your particular need, it is in 500 mg capsules, or powder form to take in water, but less easy to measure. Start with 500 mg first thing in the morning, best 1/2 hour before food.

I have just found about a pharmacokinetic report, which states that the maximum dose from which benefit is obtainable is 2 grams (don't try that amount to start with), and that the half life of the dose is 6.5 hours, so an afternoon dose would be desirable, but not very easy to fit in with a busy life, at least 2 hours after a meal is recommended, and 30 mins before another. Too late in the day may cause inability to sleep, the brain keeps too active.

Try one 500 mg in the mornings to begin with, and add another after about 3/4 days. If you find benefit, but problems reoccur later in the day, add a dose later in the day. I believe that one or one and a half grams in a dose is fairly common, but 2 grams a dose is the largest that is working for you. don't use more than you find helpful, it only goes to waste. Your second dose may not need to be as large as the morning one, its all a question of finding what helps you the most with the least expenditure.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Biologist » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:43 pm

BSGfan,

This will give you an overview of what you might want to take due to your nerve issues (along with CQ10):

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcarnitine

This is some research. It seems to basically be killing two birds with one stone as it has additional things to offer, it would appear:

*http://www.annalsnyas.org/cgi/content/abstract/1033/1/108

*http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/104085776/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Biologist
Biologist

Return to Muscle Pain and Statins