Other medical problems before starting a statin?

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Muscle Pain associated with statin drug use.

Other medical problems before starting a statin?

Postby SusieO » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:31 pm

I am just wondering if anyone had other medical problems before starting a statin drug. Perhaps, would that have something to do with why certain people sustain statin damage while other don't?

Before starting Lipitor (and I still have these medical problems) I was dealing with Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome/dysautonomia as well as a hormonal imbalance (I have to have hormone pellets surgically implanted in my body about 4 times a year as my body does not produce much in the way of hormones).

If this is too personal to ask I apologize - but I wondered if there is some type of link.
SusieO

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:49 pm

SusieO: Personal or not, it's more grist for the mill. I have had chemical, food, and airborne allergies for years (since my early 30's) and have wondered if the fact that I took Drixoral like candy; in addition to other antihistamin sprays, etc., may have made me more succeptible (sp?) to the effects of Statins. I can't say I need hormones though (mine are now sitting around in contented groups quietly playing Whist instead of screaming thru my body at Mach3) and I don't have any heart problems I know of, but I agree we should have some way to build a matrix of similarities... maybe the U.C. San Diego study is doing just that; in fact, they almost certainly are. If only they would PUBLISH!...

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby poohhel » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:05 pm

SusieO and Brooks

The only medical problems I had at the time of starting Vytorin was 3 small tears in my rotator cuff and a gall bladder that needed to be removed because of to many gall stones, and of course these were not caused by medications. The only other thing was high cholestrol, But now since starting Vytorin...it's a whole different story. In the last 16 months I have been diagnosed with osteopenia, acid reflux, perpherial neuropathy, and intermittent claudication and doctor is also suspicious of PAD
poohhel

Time for an update

Postby poohhel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:17 pm

I thought it was time for an update. I have been tested for so many different suspects in the last 3 months I am having trouble keeping up with doctor appointments. At each appointment I hope to hear the doctor pinpoint the problem, cause, and the cure for what is going on... unfortunately, this still has not happened. Instead another test comes out normal and a new test is scheduled -- Cardiologist is now sending me for a Catscan of my legs as well as some blood work for CPK and lipid panel.

My EMG and NCV test are the only test that pointed to anything (pinched nerves) but yet seems to be insignificant and not able to cause the severity of pain I am having. MRI of my brain and spine came out within normal range. ABI and Doppler study of arms and legs came out within normal range. Catscan of my brain and spine came out within normal range. No issues with my heart or lungs...thankfully. Physical therapy does not seem to be doing anything except causing even more sleepless nights.

Anyway, I have some friends that have suggested Fibromyalgia? They have other friends and/or family that appear to have the same symptoms as me ... so I am doing some research and gathering questions to ask my doctor. If you have experience with this condition and have anything that can benefit my search for information... I would greatly appreciate your input.

~ Helen
poohhel

Postby SusieO » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:07 am

Pooh in one way it is great that your tests are coming out all "ok" (as mine all did), but I know how you feel...you want answers and a diagnosis!

The Rheumatologist I went to said my problem could be a mild case of fibromyalgia - he was just trying to pacify me with some type of answer. My cousin has fibromyalgia and my issues are nothing like hers. If you look it up online you will think "well I have some of the symptoms", but that is the thing with statin damage...it seems to mimic so many other problems.

In my heart and mind I know what my problem is; STATIN DAMAGE and I just don't feel like wasting anymore time or energy taking test after test and being made to look like a hypochondriac by doctors.
SusieO

Postby poohhel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:39 am

Susie O: I agree it is statin damage unfortunately the statins have done the damage...so in an attempt to find some kind of relief I must find out what damage has been caused and what can help relieve or perhaps promote some healing. I have looked up the fibromyalgia online and I have alot more than "some of the symptoms"-- I actually have all of them and to some extreme. It definitely makes sense why I am feeling the way I am... I too have a friend and a family member diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. And the trauma I experienced in Sept 2006 would give good reason to believe that FM is possible.
poohhel

Postby Cat Mom2 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:41 pm

I never had any health issues except for high cholesterol... I had IBS for over 30 years but that was controled by watching what I ate and keeping the stress levels down. In the 5 to 6 years I was on the statin, I had a long list of ailments.
Cat Mom2

Return to Muscle Pain and Statins