Statins cause Vitamin D deficiency?

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Muscle Pain associated with statin drug use.

Statins cause Vitamin D deficiency?

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu May 28, 2009 5:10 pm

This is NEWS to me!

Why the epidemic of low vitamin D?

There is a wide-range of theories to explain the epidemic of low D levels. Implicated is an increase in sunscreen use, more indoor living, or the increase in pollution. It is important to note that due to darker skin color, African Americans living at higher latitudes are at greater risk of vitamin D deficiency. Everyone living at higher latitudes is at increased risk towards the end of winter.

Another theory is the well-known fact that certain medications lower vitamin D levels. For instance, one of the most common side-effects of taking statin drugs (a class of cholesterol-lowering drugs) is muscular pain caused by vitamin D deficiency. In one study, the participants needed to receive 50,000 IU of vitamin D per week for 12 weeks to get their levels up from 20ng/ml to 48ng/ml. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) may soon increase the safe maximum dose to 10,000 IUs per day. For now, such high doses of vitamin D in the tens of thousands of units should only be taken under the care of a medical professional.

*******************link*******************

**http://4naturalfitness.com/wordpress/?p=36
cjbrooksjc

Postby josie1952 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 pm

I wondered about Vitamin D after I was finally diagnosed with a level 7. I have been talking to my doctor, to the neurologist, to the endocrinologist. Finally a physician's assistant asked me if anyone tested Vitamin D. I took 50,000 units once a week for 12 weeks and felt the difference in about 2 weeks. I now take 2000 units a day religiously and feel better all the time! It's the first supplement that has brought any relief - not entire relief - but I feel invigorated and my muscle weakness has been alleviated. Still have ligament problems.

I will never take statins again. On Lipitor, then Vytorin, the Zetia (at a time when they said it had no side effects). No doctor has really listened to me or should I say treated me. I've had all the regular testing and am told there is no muscle damage. I wonder how long I've had Vitamin D deficiency - I could barely lift my legs - they felt like stone - and I couldn't stand up. Spent a lot of time sitting down contemplating doing ordinary things but feeling overwhelmed. So check it out - you might be surprised.
josie1952

Postby David Staup » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:27 am

It's not to difficult to understand the reason statin users suffer vitamin D deficiency.... the precursor to vit D production is a form of cholesterol stored in the tissues...
follow the side effects of vit D deficiency to hypophosphatemia and you see some of the cognative and emotional side effects we all suffer from.

I have also noted that sunlight alone can trigger some of the worst short term physical side effects...I call it the drop dead point where suddenly I loose all get up and go and start to sweat rivers from my head... I have had this happen in sunlight with temps in the low seventies...I limit my exposure to direct sunlight and take 2000 units per day

David
David Staup

vitamin D

Postby josie1952 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm not sure why the sun would cause that result - since it provides vitamin D? I have never been very tolerant of the sun - it wears me out but I doubt I've always had this deficiency. Thanks for the information - this blog is very informative and confirms the suspicions my doctors deny. Not to be paranoid of course :)
josie1952

Postby David Staup » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:11 pm

the sun would cause that because it depletes the tissues and then the blood even further of cholesterol... that at least is my theory and my doctor agreed that it may be the case ... in any case the ability of sunlight alone to trigger complete colapse and excessive sweating in low air temps when not very active has happened to me on enough occaisons to convince me of the connection....I use the scientific method of observation and experimentation to form my opinions in this case since the doctors have been of little help...
David Staup

Postby josie1952 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:40 pm

i have to wonder why no lawsuits have been filed against the makers of these statins. They give very little warning - saying side effects are rare - and the results are debilitating. Until I took Vitamin D supplements, I lived a miserable life which is only somewhat better. I was too worn out to work or even go for a walk. I always weighed any kind of activity against the fact that I was too tired.
josie1952

Postby David Staup » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:44 pm

There have been lawsuits and some have been won but appeals have made the verdics mute...no laywer is willing to go up against the big pharma/ government combo... money is power and can buy off almost all who should be raising questions about all of this ....unfortunate but true that freedom without honor leads only to abuse and there is but little honor left in our society....do what you can to warn others is all we can do and something all of us should do as much as possible

David
David Staup

Postby Biologist » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:53 pm

There have been NO major studies -- EVER -- which is EXACTLY what we have learned to expect if such a safe and inexpensive substance were known or believed to be highly significant. Even more so if known to be Super Significant. And that's the way it is...

"Vitamin D Deficiency and Heart Disease" (March 9, 2009)

*http://blog.vitamindrevolution.com/2009/03/17/vitamin-d-deficiency-and-heart-disease/
_____

"Men With Vitamin D Deficiency May Have Increased Risk Of Heart Attack
ScienceDaily (June 11, 2008)"

*http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080609162100.htm
_____

"Lack Of Vitamin D Could Spell Heart Trouble"
ScienceDaily (Dec. 2, 2008)

*http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081201200032.htm
_____

" 'Let The Sunshine In' To Protect Your Heart This Winter"

*http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081117110840.htm
_____

David, you may have something to look forward to. For well over a year, the sun was a killer for me, as I got better, that went away. At first it use to zap my little remaining energy. Now it's my friend.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby David Staup » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:27 pm

Biologist,

you may be right:

"David, you may have something to look forward to. For well over a year, the sun was a killer for me, as I got better, that went away. At first it use to zap my little remaining energy. Now it's my friend."

Or it may be related to current condition. I had noted what seemed to be more tolerance as my condition improved due to limiting my activities in general but of late I have been doing a bit to much and think i'm seeing an increas in sensitivity... It's all so subjective it hard to tell and it could, of course, be all in my head :-)

I hope you're right 'cause I've always loved the sun (for short exposures as I burn easily) and miss being able to enjoy the sun. the trouble here in texas lately is the intense heat that comes with it---as high as 108 and typically 100+ for the last month or so....whew I can't wait for fall
David Staup

Postby eers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:03 pm

It seems if you're taking Cod Liver Oil (which I'm guessing many of us do) you should generally be in good shape - one tbspn has almost what a normal person would need daily...unless we're grossly insufficient which can only be figured out by testing I suppose?
eers

Postby vicki » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:02 am

When I was first diagnosed with CLL my D3 level was very very low and so was everyone elses that CLL. ( I believe the statins did this to me after 7 yrs of being put on them.

They, doctors, research, are thinking vit. D3 is a bigger thing in medical then they use to think. We are are all talking about Vitamin D defficency on the Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) forum site.

It has to vitamin D3.

A lot of us are thinking , since we are all low on Vitamin D3, that perhaps low vitamine D3 caused our cancers. My CLL I know was caused by Statins, in one way or another. Either vit. D low, or my LDL went too low, anyway I know statins caused it some way or another. (I have to say in my opinion)
We have done extensive studies on low Vitamin D3.

take a look at this on Vitamin D3: http://clltopics.org/Alert/direct_display_alert.php?reqnum=47

and this: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

So everyone get tested !!!!!
vicki

Postby vicki » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:31 am

Another Good article:

Interactions between magnesium and vitamin D: possible implications in the immune system.
McCoy H, Kenney MA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9140864
vicki

Return to Muscle Pain and Statins