On the right track?

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

On the right track?

Postby NewLife » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:47 pm

First, thanks to all for sharing your stories. You've made me feel I am not alone.

I'm curious about your feelings if I'm on the right track.

I'm a 47 year old healthy male. In 2003, my numbers were as follows:

HDL = 52
LDL = 202
TRI = 159
Ratio = 5.5
Tot. Cholesterol = 286

My doctor suggested taking statins. I put off taking them. The numbers stayed similar for a few years. Finally, I agreed to take my Doctors advice and started on Vytorin. (10-20) At first, I felt disoriented, unable to concentrate, nervous, irritable and generally "in a fog." I quit after a week. Thinking it may have been a fluke, I started up a few months later. I didn't have the severe reactions so I stayed with it. After three months, my numbers were:

HDL = 50
LDL = 137
TRI = 162
Ratio = 4.38
Tot. Cholesterol = 219

I stayed with Vytorin another four months. During this time I gradually experienced more anxiety, irritability, loss of focus and low energy. Since it was very gradual, I didn't connect the dots and suspect the Vytorin. After this four month stretch (concluding last week) my numbers were:

HDL = 66
LDL = 130
TRI = 84
Ratio = 3.2
Tot. Cholesterol = 213

I thought the numbers were going in the right direction. However, my doctor now wants to put me on 10-40. ( A stronger dose). I've been eating very healthy and exercising, yet gaining a few pounds which is very strange for me. (5-11, 192) I'm tired of the side effects and have decided to ween myself off of my leftover 10-20 dose while starting on the supplements recommended here.

CoQ10
Folic Acid
B6, B12
Omega 3

I must admit, I'm still concerned about the numbers going the wrong way now. (I can hear my doctor now if/when that happens) I'm hoping the exercise, healthy diet, and supplements will help. My side effects have not been as severe as some on the forum. For example, little if any muscle pain, etc. However, the disoriention and lethargy alone are enough reason for me to want nothing to do with statins.

Any thoughts about this plan? Anything I might be missing?

Thanks so much!
NewLife

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:36 pm

NewLife: Add a couple grams of vitamin C to your daily regimen. Check out the Statins Home Page (right under Forum Home above) for further info on Cholesterol reduction.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby NewLife » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:29 pm

Thanks Brooks. I've included 3.5 grams of C to my daily regimen since your post. I've been completely off Vytorin for three weeks now. I've been motivated to exercise much more and feeling slowly but gradually better. I've also lost about eight pounds. Told my doctor I stopped Vytorin. She wanted to prescribe "something else." I told her I wasn't interested. It will be interesting when I go for my check up in three months.

Thanks so much for the support.

Ken
NewLife

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:42 pm

Newlife: There are a broadside of studies the results of which indicate Cholesterol is NOT a primary contributor to heart attack. One such showed Aboriginal natives with a 30X higher (not 30% - 30X) incidence of heart attack than any group tested while having the LOWEST cholesterol levels of any group tested, while the Swiss, who have a cholesterol level 30% HIGHER that the UK (the testing country) have one of the lowest incidence of heart attack. OXIDIZED LDL is thought to be the primary culprit. Just Google 'cholesterol', or better yet, go to You Tube and search 'cholesterol' for some eye-popping video information. Don't, for GOD's sake, take another statin; they are absolutely poisonous meds.

Best Wishes,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)