Foods?

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Foods?

Postby Kat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 pm

Hello Everyone! I've been reading this forum since yesterday when I knew that if I felt any worse I would die. I decided at that point to look up the side effects of Vytorin.

This site is amazing! The information is wonderful and in advance of our communication I want to thank all of you for providing me with such a wealth of knowledge concerning this horrible drug.

I do have a question though. I haven't been able to locate any topics concerning diet. I'm so used to eating what the American Heart Association says I don't know how else to eat. I have read the info at spacedoc.net and the recommendations.

I am ready to order books and am hoping that I may have some guidance in the choices I make. I see there are several books. I have the information concerning the alternatives for vitamins but, I would very much appreciate some advice as to which book to order for menus, etc.
Kat

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Kat: There are many menu suggestions on the internet: I did a Google search on "low cholesterol menu" and got a number of sites and suggest you look at (click on) the url below as a starting point.

[http://www.lifeclinic.com/focus/cholesterol/menu.asp]

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:10 pm

Kat: I pulled the trigger a little too fast on the above menu reference. On review of the site I suggested, I notice 'diet soda', 'lite' margerine, and a few other items that I don't want to recommend to anyone. Still, I do suggest you continue your search on the internet for something suitable to your life-stlye. Perhaps others on the forum can direct you more accurately.

Regrets,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Kat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Brook,

Your time and search is appreciated. I too am going through many pages of information and shopping for the supplements today as well. Still much to do.

Thank You,

Kat

PS If I come across helpful information I will post in order that everyone here may benefit also.
Kat

Postby Brian C. » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:41 am

Kat, I believe the diet "problem" is simply finding sources of fresh, uncontaminated food. There is no such thing as unhealthy natural food (excluding the poisonous). Putting it another way, avoid manufactured foodstuffs like the plague!
Stay close to Mother Nature :D

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Biologist » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:22 am

I do not give much thought to dietary cholesterol anymore. For example, the author of this book explains that the more of it you eat, the less your body makes, so levels are self-regulating. To demonstrate this he tested his cholesterol levels on the first day, and then ate a bunch of eggs each day for a while and continued to check his levels each day. His cholesterol levels fluctuated minimally and were actually slightly lower on the day he quit the experiment than the day he started.

All indications seem to be that cholesterol is very necessary for good health and is an innocent bystander regarding heart disease. When cholesterol control is stressed in any given diet, the less credence I tend to give it.

[http://www.amazon.com/Cholesterol-Myths-Exposing-Fallacy-Saturated/dp/0967089700/ref=pd_sim_b_1/104-6662249-0483163?ie=UTF8&qid=1173535063&sr=1-10]

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Kat » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:44 am

Hello Brian C. and Biologist,

After checking numerous sites I am finding staying close to nature is the best answer also.

Biologist, the book you recommended appears to be one that will be a must read for me. I think I am just having hard time coming to terms with the fact that I can eat saturated fats and not worry about cholesterol content.

I read somewhere that even those that choose to become vegans begin by eliminating beef first when the fact is that chicken and even fish should go before the red meats due to impurities, hormones, and mercury, etc. Of course that was when I was still trying to live a completely fat free life. :wink:

I'm learning. Appreciate your thoughts.

Kat
Kat

Postby jwgncolo » Sun May 13, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi Kat,

I've been off Vytorin for about 3 weeks now and what a difference. Althoug the Vtyorin was the straw that broke my body and my mind, I was on Lipitor for many years prior and only now am I realizing what effect it had on me too.

I have been focusing on just eating healty (lot's of whole grains, lean meats, fresh fruits & vegetables, etc) and taking the supplements recommended on this site (CoQ10, B6, B12, Folic Acid, Omega 3 Fish oil).

Keep your spirits up and I wish you the best.

john
jwgncolo

Postby Kat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:36 pm

jwgncolo, happy to hear you are feeling better. My husband and I are in a semi truck most of the time and must deal with restaurants for many meals however, salad is great. We have both lost many pounds!

As time goes on you will continue to notice that you feel better. The worst thing that I have is nerve damage to my shoulder and left arm clear to the finger tips. I suppose it was a small price to pay when I have read some of the other statin users challenges.

Keep eating natural foods and even check the water. We did and found we were better with distilled. We have a fountain at home and watched the build up from tap water ruin it and it got us to thinking about what was happening to our insides.

Best of luck to you.

Kat
Kat

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)