Vytorin 10/40 - Is it taking my husband away from me???

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:55 am

Hi
The deficiency of Q10 caused by the statin appears to de-energise several other body processes, a very common one being the production of carnitine, most necessary for fat to be metabolised nto energy and also for taking "combustion" products from this process to be carried out of the muscle, otherwise pain from lactic acidosis can occur.

I believe about 11500 hits have been recorded on the thread "Muscle pain and statins" since I first suggested trying carnitine last April. In my ancient state, I have very little abdominal muscle left, and in the night a week ago, I had insufficient strength to avoid feeling I had a hinge in my middle part, and was unable to hold my back up without holding to some support. A little extra Lcarnitine and in an hour or two I was back to what goes for normal for me, there is no doubt that it is needed and that it works, CK tests have confirmed that this is so.

There is a recognised condition -Carnitine deficiency-, but the statin case has not yet got into the literature, I discovered it because post polios have been shown to have low carnitine levels and it was through that route that I discovered the need for supplementation, especially after statin use.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby DEgirl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Thank you for the timely responses to my L-Carnitine question. I will be adding this supplement here as well.
DEgirl

Postby Biologist » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:40 pm

DEgirl,

Earlier you had asked in this thread about cinnamon.

Here is a post that you might want to check-out sometime for more information on it.

http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?p=2949#2949

Biologist
Biologist

Postby DEgirl » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:34 pm

THANK YOU Biologist for the cinnamon link. I will make my way there.

Also another update on husband for others in this type of situation with Vytorin. It has now been 3 full weeks on the recommended supplements given here since stopping the Vytorin. His memory and other mood issues appear to be as I would consider, in the "NORMAL" range for him. I have had him on supplements and have been giving a higher dose of the CoQ10 to be (300mg daily). We are "BOTH" doing MUCH BETTER here! Thank you to all who helped educate me and to help SAVE my husband from "himself" due to the horrible Vytorin side-effects. :wink: :D We will follow up with blood results in another week or so.

P.S. ---- I edited this to ask.... Any thoughts on if I should keep him on the 300mg for the moment? Say for (another month) and then lower the dose back to 150mg like we were on???
DEgirl

Postby bucho » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:13 pm

DEgirl,

This is wonderful news! It is also yet another validation of the claimed emotional, memory, and cognitive side-effects of statins. I'm gratified that this forum could help, and delighted that it took only three weeks.

That fast a recovery after cessation of vytorin leaves little doubt as to the cause of his problems. This is powerful evidence in the struggle against the statin camp.

If my experience is any indicator, there will probably be relapses from time to time, but they will be diminishing in intensity and frequency.

I've stayed on a 300 mg daily dose of Q10 just because I don't want to "mess with success."
bucho

Postby DEgirl » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:03 pm

bucho::: I am pretty certain to just keep him on the 300mg daily of CoQ10 for the time being. After all we both have endured here due to Vytorin side-effects,... I would like to be one of the first in line for a damage claim!!!

One last alarming detail I would like to share with all of you out there about the dangerous Statin side-effects of Vytorin::::::::::::::::

If I had NOT LIVED IT, I would not believe it. --------- A few days ago I had to listen to my husband explain a Vytorin memory loss issue he had while taking the Vytorin 10/40. As I said, while being off the Vytorin his memory is starting to resurface thankfully. ..... The only reason Vytorin side-effects did NOT cause my husband to do something drastic to himself one evening a few weeks ago,----- Was ONLY BECAUSE.... With the memory loss due to Vytorin use, he was NOT ABLE TO REMEMBER what he was supposed to do that evening when he left work alone. He had planned to take his own life while riding home but, could "NOT REMEMBER" what it was that he was supposed to do when he left his job that evening!!!!!!! My husband has NEVER been the depressed type in his entire life and was always high on life before Vytorin use! One of the side-effects is certainly without a doubt "depression". -------- The hope is that these makers of this DANGEROUS NIGHTMARE MEDICATION eventually get whatever it is they have coming their way.
DEgirl

Postby bucho » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:19 pm

Please give us any updates on his progress. Any relapses, or is he getting a clean break from past statin problems?

This site lists some cases where suicides have indeed occurred due to what the family is convinced was statin-induced depression. I would expect that statin fatalities of this sort rarely get correctly attributed to the statin. Once the victim is deceased, there is no opportunity to discontinue the statin and see if the depression lifts. So suicides due to statin use could be grossly unreported.
bucho

Postby DEgirl » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Hello bucho and ... Good evening everyone. I am pleased to report good news that my husband has not so far had a relapse to report. He appears to be getting BETTER mentally with each passing day!! The Vytorin has been DESTROYED for good and the remainder of the script will NEVER be able to cause anyone harm again!!! I have him on his daily recommended vitamins, including 300mg of Co-Q10 daily. At least there has not been any relapes that I have noticed while he has been with me. His short term memory appears to be getting some what back to normal. He is able to remember things he needs to do from day to day now. He still has a hard time coming to terms with all that I have told him happened to him or what Vytorin put us BOTH through. Oddly, it is as if the Vytorin erased his whole memory of mood swings, depression episodes, aggressive behavior, etc. while on it. These issues and their memories have NOT come back to him and he is just baffled by what I tell him happened. However, he remembers the pain in the muscles, joints, the blurred vision, headaches and other side-effect symptoms. With this said, I wonder daily about the poor souls out there on these medications and the things that happen to them and their families. You have to wonder to yourself.............. Could it be TRUE that Statin drugs are to blame for some of the high crime issues the world seems to have today? Seeing what a Statin drug side-effect can do first hand and seeing the issues with my own eyes....... It makes me just gasp and cringe with anger!!!! Thankfully, my husbad is still ..."ALIVE"... and getting his/our life back!
DEgirl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:42 pm

DEGirl: That's very good news! It encourages me to know that improvement is being made somewhere. Keep us apprised. Congratulations to both of you.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby DEgirl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:28 pm

Thank you Brooks! I have since started sharing this web site and the information here with others almost on a daily basis. I will post an update in a few weeks/months on my husbands progress. I can't thank all of you enough who helped us regain our happy life. Although the STRESS of Stain drug use has caused me to be "OLDER and MORE SILVER".... I am more WISE to their dangerous use and side-effects as well. This has since inspired me to go back to work full-time in the Medical field after about 5 years of personal retirement. Hopefully, I will be able to share this information of facts with a couple of Doctors there who I know will "listen with an open mind".
DEgirl

Postby imanut » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:36 pm

Good luck finding any doctor that has an "open mind". Darn good thing that your husband had you around to find out the truth.

Whenever I see anyone rubbing their hands, limping, etc, etc, etc,---I'll ask them if they are on any cholesterol med. Amazing how many say "yes".

gn
imanut

Postby poohhel » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:38 pm

[quote="imanut"]Good luck finding any doctor that has an "open mind". Darn good thing that your husband had you around to find out the truth.

Whenever I see anyone rubbing their hands, limping, etc, etc, etc,---I'll ask them if they are on any cholesterol med. Amazing how many say "yes".

gn[/quote]

I am so hoping my doctor will believe me when I bring this info to his attention. . .

I just came across this site while researching information on peripheral neuropathy. Just a week ago my only complaint was a "burning in my shins/calfs" during workouts and dancing. . . Now today I am in so much pain from my neck down to my toes. I can barely get around and I am so depressed/emotional. I have constant tingling, numbness, and streaks of pain.

My doctor said PN and possibly Intermittent Claudication...But will not know for sure until we do multiple test... Tomorrow I am scheduled for EMG and NCP (?). This week I also C-Spine and LS Spine Xrays scheduled as well as an ABI test. . . of course, these are after an EKG, MRI, and C-Scan says all is good.

I started Vytorin 16 months ago. The problems have been so slow coming and so evident of other things that I never even thought that this could be the problem. But now I know and I am stopping the Vytorin and talking to my doctor tomorrow.
poohhel

Postby DEgirl » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:49 pm

UPDATE :::::::: Visited with the doctor this past Wednesday afternoon that prescribed Vytorin to my husband. (I had an appointment myself this day). Explained in graphic detail to him the issues of symptoms behind our Vytorin nightmare with husband. .... Was told by his doctor, "gee, I've never heard of anyone having problems while on Vytorin". To which I responded, "of course you have Doc, YOU have just blamed "other things" and NOT VYTORIN"!!!!.... He of course looked at me like I had 4 heads. So... I directed him to the internet to do some homework like I did. When he started in about "switching" Statin medications for my husband I told him "good luck doc". There isn't enough doctors on the planet to ever get husband to take another Statin drug. At least, this is what he keeps telling me now that his brain has returned somewhat to normal. I am trying to get him to go for more blood work but, he doesn't even want to do that now.

Edited to add this for poohhel :::: Best of luck to you!! Vytorin was 210%PLUS responsible for almost killing my husband "mentally, physically, and emotionally. The fallout from this medication is like no other out there. Statin Drugs are DANGEROUS all the way around.
DEgirl

Postby poohhel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:44 am

DEgirl... All I can say is Thank you to you and all the others for sharing their stories. If I had not come across this site and this forum I would still be in the dark and still be taking Vytorin and of course, getting sicker.

Sometimes my husband thinks I am a wacko because of how much research I do...But when I shared this information with him and gave him hope that perhaps I can get better now. . . all he could do was cheer my persistance. Thanks again for sharing such a tough time in your life so others can get better too!!
poohhel

Postby Biologist » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 am

DEgirl,

I am real pleased to hear how things have been going for you and your husband.

Good job on informing the doctor about his job.

Be sure to read this post and all subsequent posts in this thread:

http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?p=3707#3707

He was not, and is not, taking any cinnamon, is he?

I stongly recommend AGAINST it.

Had you seen this post of mine until now?

Biologist
Biologist

Postby SusieO » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:16 am

Degirl that is GREAT news to read your hubby has improved - I pray it continues for both your sakes.
SusieO

Postby DEgirl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:40 pm

poohhel::: Your welcome and there is a lot to learn here that will help you.
SusieO::: Thank you!

Biologist::: NO, hubby is NOT on Cinnamon and from reading that post, he won't be getting any Cinnamon from me! :shock:

Also, forgot to add something you all may find amuzing but not surprising. When I told his Doc that day about the supplements I had replaced his Statin with.... He FROWNED AT ME but, didn't comment!! But then, I had a feeling that would be his response. :? And.... tonight hubby is feeling so much better that he is on the computer taking a test for another one of his Certifications for work. :D He had NOT been able to test for these due to memory issues while taking the Vytorin. He couldn't remember what he had just read seconds ago then.
DEgirl

Postby poohhel » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:00 am

DE Girl... That is great news about your husband. I went back and read up on all your prior post regarding the ordeal you and your husband have been through and I have gained assurance that I too will be okay!

Today I went to a new doctor, I told him about all of my symptoms and I told him what I found out about statins from this site and that I believe it is the Vytorin, not to mention everything fits the time line from when I started Vytorin up to where I am today...and he agreed with me!!

In fact his exact words were "with the available resources today, many patients do their own self diagnosis and because they know their bodies better than anyone else- they are often right...so if you believe it is the Vytorin causing your problems there is only one way to find out...stop taking the Vytorin and lets find other ways to work at keeping your cholestrol down"

I feel better already. Maybe not physically but mentally relieved that someone is listening to me. Can you believe with all the problems I am having even walking and holding my arms up... my last doctor wanted me to run on a treadmill today for a stress test. When I told her I couldn't she told me I was making excuses for not wanting to do exercise...and to take two tylenol and suck it up. I will spare the forum the things I said to her... hahahaha.
poohhel

Postby DEgirl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:44 pm

poohhel: Rest assure after stopping the Vytorin you will feel better. It may take time and some folks seem to take longer to get back to normal than others. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!

UPDATE ON HUSBANDS VYTORIN NIGHTMARE as of 4/12/07:::::::::

Seems to be back to NORMAL mentally (with normal motor skills) and appears normal physically (on the outside) after he STOPPED TAKING VYTORIN! His moods have drastically changed for the BETTER and he appears to FINALLY be himself once again. He is not complaining of any pain or nasty side-effects the VYTORIN caused him. He is back to building race car engines once again!!!! 8) With that said, mentally he has to be back to normal. I have gone back to work in the medical field and within the next two weeks I will be using him for a pin cushion (blood testing) in the office. I am curious to see what his readings are since being weened off the Vytorin and on the supplements. I don't get computer time much these days but, will post when I can what we find out. Thanks all again... Could not have made it through this without the knowledge on this web site!!
DEgirl

Postby poohhel » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:16 pm

DE Girl: I am glad to hear the news about your husband and your going back to medical field. Please do check back and give update to husbands results as well as any new information you embark upon. Thanks for your encouragement.
poohhel

PreviousNext

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)