Vytorin 10/40 - Is it taking my husband away from me???

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Vytorin 10/40 - Is it taking my husband away from me???

Postby DEgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:03 pm

My 48 yr. old husband of the last 3 years was given Vytorin 10/40 around Nov. 2006. He was given the Vytorin because he had only slightly elevated Cholesterol levels. Since his younger brother has recently suffered two heart attacks and his father and grandfather both passed with one... He was given Vytorin.
Well,.................. This past weekend I watched in total horror as something VERY STRANGE happen to him. My husband is a very calm, easy going type of man. I watched this past weekend as my husband became SOMEONE ELSE.... THAT WAS NOT MY HUSBAND!! I am totally blaming the Vytorin now that I have been to this website and have read the comments. I watched in horror as this man sadly turned on me for no apparent reason in a fit of rage while driving!! He said horrible things to me and has NO MEMORY of it when we FINALLY were able to TALK!!!!! I have noticed other memory loss issues in him when he used to have the BEST memory for a human being. This man could remember things, people and conversations that happened 15 years ago before we were married as friends. Now.... Now he suddenly forgets conversations, names of people he has worked with for 26 years mid sentence. Has no energy, complains of being tired all the time but CANNOT sleep like he used to. He lately gets slightly aggressive to me and he NEVER used to do that. He seems depressed and almost like he is someone else or somewhere else at times. He has mentioned that he cannot remember to do simple tasks suddenly at work and then "boom"... It returns! He has complained of sore muscles and tendons. He appears to be loosing muscle mass to me in his arms. He never used to have these issues before Vytorin 10/40. We are very close as a newly married couple and practically still newlyweds. However, there are some mentioned other issues I won't talk about too. My husband is an intelligent man with outstanding training in his career field. I fear for his well being now..... So, I am totally as of last night......... Weening my husband who is also my best friend... OFF of Vytorin for GOOD!! I fear a stroke or something worse and it terrifies me. He hasn't been back to the doctor for blood work since he was put on Vytorin. They told him he would need to but, I haven't been able to get him there. My husband NEVER wanted to go see doctors before, it was a trust issue. He was always a strong, energetic and healthy man until November 2006. I kept encouraging him to go in for a physical because he hadn't been to a doctor in years. That is when we found the elevated Cholesterol and Vytorin 10/40 began. I never made the connection until stumbling onto your site.

I have read HOW to ween him off of the medication and that is clear. Someone PLEASE tell me....., WHAT can I do to help reverese some of the mental damage caused by this medication? What vitamins should I get for him to take while being tapered off?
DEgirl

Postby kimsuoil » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:58 pm

DEgirl, sorry to hear the awful problems your husband has been through. He is lucky that he only has taken it for less than 4 months. I took Vytorin for 7 months with many of the problems your husband has. In my experience it will take him at least 4 months to get back to his normal self. It has been a year and a half since my last dose of a statin and my health has improved greatly as time has passed. My problems were ankle and foot pain, neck and shoulder pain, elevated liver enzymes, loss of muscle mass and slight memory problems. The Vytorin dropped my cholesterol from 260-280 range to 133. I was actually scared to death when my doctor told my my cholesterol was that low...he was actually pleased, even though I was limping around like an 80 year old at only 46. I would have his blood work done as soon as possible to see how low his cholesterol dropped and also if his enzymes are high. This will give you some leverage when talking to his doctor. I think it is dangerous to artificially drop your cholesterol that low. You brain, hormones, and cellular functions depend on a steady amount of cholesterol. Tell him to hang in there and do your research...you will soon know more about statins and heart disease than most doctors.

As far as supplements, I have been taking 1.5 grams of Acetyl L-Carnitine & 1 gram of Propionyl-L-Carnitine per day. This has greatly improved my memory and mental function.

Dave-man
kimsuoil

Postby DEgirl » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:33 pm

kimsuoil: Thank you for responding to my Vytorin nightmare!!!

It has now been (4 days) since I began cutting his Vytorin in half. I have added the supplements given at the site, CoQ10, B6, B12, Fish Oil, etc. etc.. to his 1/2 daily dose of Vytorin to ween him off. My husbands attitude and mood appears to be just a tiny bit better than the NIGHTMARE we went through here last weekend. Thankfully!! Although, I still don't understand normal Cholesterol ranges verses abnormal Cholesterol ranges. I'll have to do some research there too. For now, I am lowering his Vytorin dose and then STOPPING IT COMPLETELY by cutting the daily dose in half for one week and so on. As well as, adding the supplements as mentioned. I suppose I will have to wait and see what happens. I do intend to have a chat with his doctor though when we go for blood work and one issue being... "I don't know WHERE my husband has gone since YOU put him on Vytorin but, .... I WANT HIM BACK... NOW... PERIOD". I REFUSE to listen to anything about these Cholesterol medications AFTER I get his blood results. This physician is also our next door neighbor and I will tell him.... To expect a permanent house guest on his doorstep at HIS HOUSE with Vytorin bottle in hand. :wink: Especially, if he prescribes another Statin if I have to go through what I went through LAST WEEKEND. I just hope nothing happens to my husband through all of this!
DEgirl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:01 am

DeGirl: I am off Lipitor/Zocor now for about 5 months. I am just now back to writing a bit and sleeping thru the night. One day my wife said "I don't know what has happened to you, but you scare me" That was some months ago, and I feel real empathy for your situation. Not only does this poison rob your mental abilities, but it renders you frantic and helpless. I've no doubt your husband reacted unnaturally as a result. I stopped the Statins and began the course of recommended suppliments, as I said, about 5 months ago; now, each week, I seem a bit better, but the progress can be lengthier than hoped for, with occasional, minor setbacks (from my experience). My daughters tell me they noticed a change in me almost immediately; I didn't. They were focused on my aberrant mood; I was focused on my physical condition. It takes time and patience but improvement is sure to come. Best wishes to you both.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby DEgirl » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi cjbrooksjc: Today is another one of those off days for him. Please let me explain, ......It has now been 6 days of his taking 1/2 the dose of the Vytorin (10/40 cut in half every day for now 6 days) AND (4 full days) of the recommended vitamin supplements on this web site combined. Although, my dear husband seems more "happy-go-lucky" and easy going like his "normal personality" is, .... He is a bit on the side of "too much happy-go-lucky" I think today!! In fact, a TRUCK could run straight over him and I think and would almost bet, he would SMILE, get up and walk away HAPPY!!!! I sat there during one conversation we had asking him if he was ok and cried with tears running down my face and he tells me calmly and HAPPY, that I should lay down and take a nap. Nap?... I don't take naps and he knows it. I certainly do not make a habit of crying for NO REASON either. .... Oh and did I forget to mention.... He's following ME around the house like some dog in heat suddenly? :roll: He hasn't had this kind of shall we say "energy" since November when he was put on this LIFE ALTERING, MIND WASTING CRAP!! ..... This behavior is NOT his personality at all to act like a sex-crazed pervert!!!!

TODAY WILL BE... His LAST DAY on Vytorin..... or.... I'm selling the house, dropping HIM OFF at his doctor's house next door so HE can deal with it and I'm MOVING STRAIGHT TO ALASKA and CHANGING MY NAME!!!! :cry: :cry: After what the Vytorin and his moods have done to me for two weeks now.... I FEAR FOR MY SAFETY if he continues on the Vytorin even though I am TRYING to ween him off gradually to protect him from damage,..... The weening ability here I feel.... is NOT working and robbing both of us of happiness! :cry:
DEgirl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:48 pm

DeGirl: I can't speak to your new experiences, only to say that the statin drugs DO alter normal behavior. Who knows what reaction might arise. I stopped the drug cold and didn't start the suppliments for two months aside from a magnesium boost regimen. An elevated drive might be simply an emotional reaffirmation of life following the dumps the statin put your husband in; I just can't say. I'm healthier now, and that's all I can offer you as hope. You need to give this change some time to idle down. It took me weeks to feel any true recovery.

Regards,
Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby bucho » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:01 pm

DEgirl,

My wife would report very similar things about me. Brooks hit the bullseye when he said it renders one frantic and helpless. I quit cold turkey after nearly 4 years on Zocor (I think a lower statin dose than your husband, although different meds) and it took at least 3 months for my moods to return to the "real me." The statin created unmanageable spurts of adrenaline that caused me to lash out at even minor frustrations -- they didn't feel minor at the time. It's hard to describe, a dream-like, displaced feeling (nightmarish actually) as you vent because if you don't you feel that you are going to explode or die or something. Anyway, that's how it was for me. And now the problem is entirely gone and my wife is much happier, as am I.
bucho

Postby Biologist » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:06 am

I agree. Give it some time. Both DHEA levels and neurotransmitter levels (among others) appear to be messed with by statins, and perhaps particularly by lipophilic ones such as Zocor and Vytorin. Stabilization should not be expected for weeks or months after quitting, it would seem to me.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby DEgirl » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:12 pm

I was afraid of that... Weeks or even months!! I hope I can prevent him from doing something so odd that it gets him into trouble. This sure causes a lot of STRESS on those that care about them too. A few weeks ago he mentioned to me, not being able to remember things at work. My husband is highly trained and must be tested every few months to stay Master Certified in his field. I truly worry about him, his memory and his job abilities too. My husband is only 48 and appears to be having some severe memory issues more than any other side effect on Vytoirin. He even says things off the top of his head that make...No sense. Not to mention hurtful (NOT him normally!).

Question:: We're on all the main recommended supplements now. But, I've heard mention here of some adding "Cinnamon" capsules to their supplements. Please tell me what does Cinnamon do in all this??? Is there a link about it??? Will it help my husbands issues??
DEgirl

Postby Biologist » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:20 pm

Getting him off the Vytorin is the most important thing. It sounds like you have that under control and he is cooperating.

The Cinnamon thing is not very important right now. It is said that it lowers triglycerides and that's why I take it. But no big deal compared to getting off statins. You can add cinnamon months down the road if you want to.

Biologist
Biologist

Memory Loss

Postby bucho » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:40 pm

That's another similarity between your husband and me: I had a severe memory loss problem (also great difficulty choosing words) that seems closely interrelated with the mood and frustration problem. I could take a coast-to-coast business trip and two weeks later not remember anything or anyone from the meetings I attended. My colleagues were in utter disbelief when I'd draw a blank in follow-up two weeks later! Then, as pieces of the trip slowly came back to me, I would be in disbelief too.

But the point is, you feel your mental life being snuffed out step by step, and it makes you desperate and crazy. I will not justify violent or irresponsible behavior, but I think he NEEDS intensity right now, with you, to feel he still has a connection to you and to the world. It's precisely that connection which is being taken away from him by the statin. Maybe he needs to talk about what he's experiencing, but is unable to be direct.

What I'm trying to convey is hope: The behavioral/mood stuff may be especially ugly, but I think it passes a lot faster than some of the other forms of statin damage. It shouldn't be long now.
bucho

Postby DEgirl » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:30 pm

bucho: Thanks for the encouragement. I'm worried and upset with just cause. It's hard to see this happen to him. It is much worse here than I think most anyone has posted about Vytorin yet. But, I haven't read all the posts here. His sudden reaction to this Statin looking back... Was not "sudden" at all. I know now, it was building up to this point all along since first being placed on Vytorin 10/40. The early warning signs were there even in the beginning. I didn't know then, what I know now about this Statin drugs side-effects. I am telling everyone I know about the dangerous use of Vytorin now!

With that said to help others out there,....

Some of his early warning signs noticed here included: Joint pain, complaining of pain in the soles of his feet and palms of the hands, complaining of weak ankles, extreme sudden forgetfulness of places, peoples names, etc.., not being able to sleep or stay asleep for long, often excessive hunger or even loss of appetite, excessive thirst, weight gain around his middle, and appearing spacey, lost or confused at times. Often as if he could not understand the conversation. Extreme mood swings, aggressive behavior, the loss of ability to reason. Complaining of being tired while setting still and then falling asleep suddenly. As well as the other mentioned personal sexual side-effects on the forum. .... I just thought he was over worked with his job. He has been known to put in several hours in a day at his job. .... We are now on what appears to be the SLOW road to recovery.
DEgirl

Postby vipergg22 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:07 pm

[quote="DEgirl"]bucho: Thanks for the encouragement. I'm worried and upset with just cause. It's hard to see this happen to him. It is much worse here than I think most anyone has posted about Vytorin yet. But, I haven't read all the posts here. His sudden reaction to this Statin looking back... Was not "sudden" at all. I know now, it was building up to this point all along since first being placed on Vytorin 10/40. The early warning signs were there even in the beginning. I didn't know then, what I know now about this Statin drugs side-effects. I am telling everyone I know about the dangerous use of Vytorin now!

With that said to help others out there,....

Some of his early warning signs noticed here included: Joint pain, complaining of pain in the soles of his feet and palms of the hands, complaining of weak ankles, extreme sudden forgetfulness of places, peoples names, etc.., not being able to sleep or stay asleep for long, often excessive hunger or even loss of appetite, excessive thirst, weight gain around his middle, and appearing spacey, lost or confused at times. Often as if he could not understand the conversation. Extreme mood swings, aggressive behavior, the loss of ability to reason. Complaining of being tired while setting still and then falling asleep suddenly. As well as the other mentioned personal sexual side-effects on the forum. .... I just thought he was over worked with his job. He has been known to put in several hours in a day at his job. .... We are now on what appears to be the SLOW road to recovery.[/quote]

These are all side effects of statins , you need to keep him off these things . Mildly elevated cholesterol levels are not that big of a risk . The side effects you are describing are a much bigger risk to his life and possibly someone else if he does something irrational . He is haveing severe side effects from statins .
vipergg22

Postby DEgirl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 pm

Question:::: If his Cholesterol/ Tri-levels are totally "too low" like suspected..., Wouldn't the supplements I am giving him keep these level "too low" at the moment or, do they allow the climb back to a normal level and remain in time???

vipergg22: I had no idea WHAT was happening until I made my way here. He is having some pretty bad and severe allergic reaction issues. I AM "keeping him off these things". He is NOT on Vytorin now. .... I am doing my absolute BEST to help him.
DEgirl

Postby bucho » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:29 pm

I think the supplements you mentioned will allow his chol / lipid levels to return to normal. Those supplements (Q10, vits B, etc.) do not attempt to manipulate cholesterol.

When the smoke clears, in addition to Dr. Graveline's books I highly recommend the book "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Anthony Colpo. That may help put your mind at ease about not medicating or worrying about cholesterol levels anymore.

I had a similar experience of slowly building problems that remained "under the radar" until one day they exploded and I ended up in the ER with what seemed to be a heart attack (but heart was perfectly OK). After that, my wife and I were able to trace back to early warning signs that we missed.
bucho

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:54 pm

DeGirl: One thing I would caution you about is the B vitamin Niacin. I have read that Niacin can cause Statins to remain in the system for an extended period; also, I and many others have a poor reaction to Niacin. I don't take it. Stick with B12, B6, and Folic acid in the B family. If you are giving a broad spectrum (multiple) B suppliment check the contents for Niacin.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby DEgirl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:00 pm

WOW!!!! I didn't know Niacin could cause Statins to remain in the system like that!! I certainly will research the recommended reading materials too.

NO VYTORIN whatsoever now. To the LETTER here is the complete list of exactly what my husband is taking daily now (for the last week and a half). Is this accurate to what is recommended to start?

1. Q-Sorb CoQ-10 ..... 150mg daily (Vitamin E as d-Alpha Tocopherol)
2. Natural B-6 ..... 100mg daily (as pyridoxine hydrochloride)
3. Natural B-12 ....250mcg daily (as cyanocobalamin)
4. Folic Acid .... 800mcg daily (46 mg of Calcium & 800mcg Folic Acid)
5. Omega-3 Fish Oil .... 1,200mg daily
6. Vitamin C Chewable .... 1,000mg daily
7. Bayer Low Dose Safety Coated Aspirin .... 81mg daily

Husband takes NO MULTI-VITAMIN.

I would like to be giving him MORE CoQ10 however, if you read a few posts of mine.... He simply will NOT allow it yet. I will "TRY" to go by way of in food to get it there. It is hard going because his mind is so out of focus yet.

I appreciate all the help here!!
DEgirl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:22 am

DeGirl: The one thing absent from your suppliments menu is L-Carnitine. Dosage recommendations vary, but I began with 250Mg/day and increased 250Mg/wk until I hit around 1500Mg, or a gram and a half. Nearly everyone in this condition takes it; at least initially.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby DEgirl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:37 pm

Brooks: Please tell me, what does the L-Carnitine do for this condition?? I have never heard of this supplement before. Is it easy to locate in my local pharmacy??

I have managed to increase the CoQ10 to 300mg as of yesterday evening.

If things couldn't get any worse here,.... I discovered tonight from talking to my oldest brother (age 46), he has been on VYTORIN for the last few weeks!!! They had him on Lipitor and switched him to Vytorin because of "side effect". He began complaining to me this evening that his knees were hurting him badly. I noticed the same distant "spaced out" mood in him this evening as well. I am sharing this web site with him ASAP.
DEgirl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:31 pm

DeGirl: here is a rather sophisticated explaination:

FROM THE ON-LINE MEDICAL DICTIONARY: Carnitine has been shown to have a major role in the metabolism of fat and in the reduction of triglycerides by increasing fat utilisation. It transfers fatty acids across the membranes of the mitochondria where they can be utilised as sources of energy. It also increases the rate at which the liver uses fats. By preventing fatty build-up, this amino acid aids in weight loss and decreases the risk of heart disease. Carnitine has been shown to be deficient in hearts of patients who have died of acute myocardial infections.

Hers is a simpler one:

In short, L-Carnitine makes it possible for the cells of the body (primarily muscle tissue cells) to burn fat for fuel. Without l-carnitine, cells weaken, cease to function properly, and will eventually cease to function at all. Statins, due to their interference with normal body chemistry, reduce the body's ability to manufacture l-carnitine and deplete available supplies of l-carnitine to dangerous levels. CoQ10 (depleted by Statins) helps the body make l-carnitine, but in Statin affected systems an additional l-carnitine suppliment is helpful, if not necessary to recover muscle health.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Next

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)