Vytorin...bad side effects

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Vytorin...bad side effects

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi all,
I am new here and wanted to share my very bad experience with Vytorin. After being on the drug for two and a half weeks for high cholesterol, I quit taking it due to muscle weakness and pain, fatigue, serious agitation, insomnia, dizziness to the point I would vomit. I am also type2 Bipolar and have had some rage outbursts in the past. I am pretty sure the Vytorin sent ment into a bipolar episode or at least something very similar to what I had prior to receiving treatment for my bipolar. At this point I am still so fatigued that I am unable to work a full day. The agitation scared me so bad I just tried to stay in bed so I wouldn't interact with people out of fear of having an anger outburst.
I was told by my Dr that the side effects would go away after 72 hrs but here I am with fatigue and some muscle weakness. It is unusual that the cognitive side effects of Vytorin are so similar to depression/Bipolar 2 mania that my physician would prescribe this med to me. So anyway just another unhappy patient who wanted to share his experience. I would seriously advise anyone, especially those with mental disorders not to take this medication and hope my experience will save someone alot of grief.
Thanks for letting me vent, hoping I get better soon
Andy

Reply for Andy

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:00 pm

Hi Andy,

How are you doing now that you've been off statins for awhile?
Are you able to take CoQ10? (check for interaction with your bipolar meds).
All the statin drugs can cause various mood disorders. Dr Graveline's article:
"Cholesterol Levels ~ Critical for Golgi Apparatus Function ~ Another Mechanism for Statin Associated Behavioral Change"
http://www.spacedoc.net/statins_behavior.html

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby margie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:58 pm

HI - I started taking Vytorin about 6 months ago and started having the most horrible muscle spasms in my thighs. I'd also get them in my chest and sometimes my arms. When I would complain to my doctor, she told me I wasn't drinking enough water. There's only so much water a person can drink, though! The last straw was Thursday night, a week ago. I'd gotten up from bed to use the bathroom and the most excruciating cramp hit my right thigh as soon as I got up from the toilet. I fell to the floor in agony. The pain was unbearable! I'd had these spasms before, but this was the worst yet. It started to come up my stomach area. I thought it would move to my heart and I'd have a heart attack. So this is what it's like to die, I thought. I must have passed out. When I woke up (about 45 minutes later), I was suprised to find that I was lying half in the bathroom, half out into the hallway. Parts of the window blind that I'd ripped off the wall on my way to the floor were scattered around. I tried getting up but got a spasm in my left thigh. So I laid there for a long time. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to get back into bed at last. Slept the rest of the night.

After having these spasms, my muscles feel so weak for days. I got a doctor's appointment for 2 days later. This was a young doctor, as my regular doc's out on maternity leave. He was very nice and listened to me and ordered blood tests. He just called tonight with the results, urging me to STOP taking the Vytorin immediately. He said my liver had suffered damage as well as my muscles. He said I did not need to taper off. I could quit cold-turkey. So I'm following the suggestions given to take the baby aspirin, CoQ10, B complex and fish oil.

I hope my muscle problems go away! I'm nervous to get up to go to the bathroom during the night. I'm nervous, taking a shower. I've have minor muscle spasms while driving! I hope this all goes away.
margie

Postby SusieO » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:19 pm

Margie I am so sorry to read of your muscle problems! I am very glad, as I am sure you are, that you had a doctor that listened to you and did some testing and told you to stop taking the drug.

You may want to invest in a cane to assist you in walking to give you a bit of support when a spasm hits you. When my legs are weak and I get cramps I find using a cane is a big help.

Take care and I wish you all the best!
SusieO

Postby carbuffmom » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:52 am

Hi Margie:

Sometimes using a magnesium supplement helps. I take 250 mg. once or twice a day and my cramps seem to be lessening. Take good care, hopefully you'll be right as rain in no time.
carbuffmom

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)