Brand New to Forum and have lots of questions

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Brand New to Forum and have lots of questions

Postby MrBearr » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:57 pm

My wife has been on Vytorin for the last 6 months aprox, before she was on Lipitor (I am on Lipitor currently but that is whole nother post) We never connected the dots to her ailments to Vytorin untill I spent some time researching the numerous drugs. My wife is on Nadolol, Triamterene, and Vytorin , B-1 and folic acid for her blood pressure / chloresteral issues. She suffered a servere back injury over 10 years ago, the surgery has failed and she is in 24/7 pain which she has Hydrocodone to manage the pain. (it seems that her back pain has elevated) The Lipitor / Vytorin regime started aproximately 7 months ago. She was switched off the Lipitor because the doctor felt the drug was not doing its job well enough. The mysterious ailments began, 4 months ago, my wife began to have light issues with nausea / vomitting which now are almost a daily routine. We began a battery of tests. We have had MRI, CAT scans, liver biopsy(s) upper GI, frutose intolerance test, numerous blood tests. The only thing we absolutely can rule out is cancer ( strange spots were x-rayed on her liver (the reason for the liver biopsy) Her liver tests have come back clean and healthy. Every test done so far "says" she is healthy and there is nothing wrong, yet she continues to have alot of the symptons described in many of your posts. Her blood sugar is normal, ( I am diabetic , so I tested her when she complained of loss of feeliing in her left foot). She occasionaly suffers from memory loss, (sort of like having too much to drink) she has lost over 22 pounds since this all started, (loss of appetite) she is constantly tired ( she sometimes falls asleep in her chair at her desk, mainly when she gets home) Oh and we now have added "Zofran" (anti nausea med commonly used for chemo patients) other similar meds were not strong enough and we have done battle with the insurance company to have them authorize this med. After discovering this forum, I contacted the doctor (11/20) with my findings, and to disscuss removing her from the the med. From what I have read so far, the symptoms (exception of the weight loss) are on the "servere list" of side effects. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts. I am trying to reach the doctor to disccuss the discontinuation of the Vytorin, and see what other options we have. I have read very little in this forum of people who have had issues with severe nausea/vomitting. It would be great to hear from others.
MrBearr

Reply for "MrBearr"

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:53 am

Hi Mr Bearr & Welcome to the Forum,

Right off the top, vomiting is a common side effect to statins...
[http://www.medicinenet.com/ezetimibe_and_simvastatin/article.htm]
SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects of Vytorin are headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle pain, and abnormal liver tests. The most serious potential side effects are liver damage and muscle inflammation or breakdown.

Does your wife have a history of heart disease?
Did she have high blood pressure pre-statins? Just pain alone can cause elevated blood pressure.
What were her cholesterol levels pre-statins?
* LDL
* HDL
* Triglycerides

Has your wife's doctor checked her for an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)? - One of the most common causes for elevated cholesterol. Hormonal imbalances can be one cause of hypothyroidism. Iodine deficiency is another one.

Our body creates extra cholesterol for a reason. Artifically lowering cholesterol levels (with drugs) does NOT correct the problem, just makes your doctor happy that your cholesterol levels are now "normal". Basic fact... more than 50% of the people that have heart attacks and strokes have normal or below normal cholesterol levels.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Vytorin and Nadolol

Postby Ray Holder » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:12 am

Hi Mr Bearr

I thought I would mention that the blood pressure drug Nadolol appears to be a Beta Blocker. These have recently been phased out here in UK, as they cause heart problems, and before that was raised, I read that they have the effect of lowering Q10 and Carnitine, so with the addition of Vytorin you have a double dose of damaging drugs.

Q10 is a great blood pressure reducing substance, it strengthens heart pumping action and reduces "back pressure" in the circulatory system, it keeps mine at a satisfactory level all the time, but be careful if you are still taking a BP drug, because that will reduce the "normal" BP, which Q10 will most likely bring about, to an undesirable lower level and you need to monitor it to avoid feeling faint.

Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)