Weight Gain and Vytorin

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Weight Gain and Vytorin

Postby skoch » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:09 pm

Hello All,

I have been slim all my life, however, I quickly put 10lbs on and most in the abdominal area. I've also noticed an increase in appetite. No matter what I do, I can't take the weight off and I refuse to starve.

I am a physically active person who could quickly drop weight in the past but not now. Has anyone else on Vytorin experienced these problems? I have been on Vytorin for approximately 1 and 1/2 years. As of today, I have stopped taking it and refuse to go back on any statin drugs.
Has anyone heard of weight gain being a side effect? I also have some muscle aches which I know are a side effect.

Thanks for any info.

Sue in VA
skoch

Reply for "Sue in VA"

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:07 am

Hi Sue & Welcome to the Forum,

Statins can cause various side effects. If you noticed increased appetite and weight gain after starting Vytorin, and those symptoms disappear after stopping, then Vytorin is most likely the cause.

Your muscle aches may be causing you to exercise less (or with less intensity) and be a contributing factor to your weight gain. Muscle aches are a very common statin symptom that should not be ignored and can indicate statins are damaging muscle.

Now that you've stopped Vytorin, start taking Dr Graveline's 'Statin Alternatives':
Buffered Aspirin - 81 mg (contains beneficial magnesium)
CoQ10 - 100 to 150 mg (gelcaps - NOT powdered) with some Vit E
* Folic Acid - 400-800 mcg
* B6 - 80-100mg
* B12 - 200-250mcg
* (all 3 of these B Vitamins control Homocysteine)
Omega 3 (Fish Oil or Cod Liver Oil) - There is no upper limit

Dr Graveline's Statin Alternatives reduce and prevent inflammation, are anti-oxidants, reduce platelet stickiness, control (toxic) homocysteine and have the same anti-inflammatory affect as 20 mg's of Lipitor, without side effects.

"Statin Alternatives" are NOT intended to reduce cholesterol levels. Statins (as do statin alternatives) reduce the type of inflammation that leads to heart attacks and strokes. The fact that statins also reduce cholesterol levels is irrelevant.

Source: http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

If you are "aspirin sensitive", grape seed extract (GSE) is a good alternative (reduces platelet stickiness/prevents blood clots).

Note: CoQ10 should be gelcaps (not powdered in a capsule), contain some vitamin E or taken with vitamin E. Vitamin E should be d-Alpha (natural) and NOT dl-Alpha (synthetic).

Fran
sos_group_owner

Vitorin and weight gain

Postby skoch » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi Fran,

Thank you for the response. I have aleady noticed a decrease in appetite since stopping the Vitorin a week or so ago. I have indeed started with the suggested supplements you recommended as I had already read about them. We shall see what happens. :D

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I will stay with the Forum for continuous info., etc.

Sue in VA
skoch

Postby DEgirl » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:39 pm

HI there skoch: YES, my husband HAS gained weight and ONLY around his middle since taking Vytorin 10/40. The rest of his body, arms for certain appear to be loosing muscle mass. He had been on Vytorin 10/40 from Nov. 2006 until this weekend (MORE issues). He was wanting more than normal to eat too while taking the Vytorin.
DEgirl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:57 pm

Skoch: I went from an athletic, active 220 to a blubbery, inactive 255 in the last two years on Statin drugs, and it still hurts to exercise; so I don't yet. I now have pants in my closet from 38 inch waist to 42 inch waist, and I'm having a hard time dropping the weight. I'm down to 242 after 5 months, but I still carry most of whats left around my middle. I'm hopeful I can continue to lose weight and will soon be able to exercise without days of painful recovery. It's very depressing. Just keep positive.
cjbrooksjc

Postby poohhel » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:58 pm

As if the pain and neuropathy wasn't bad enough... In the 16 months I have been on Vytorin, I gained 35 pounds. I blame it predominately on the fact it hurts too much to work out. Although, now that I have stopped my Vytorin my doctor says I need to do some exercise and weight lifting, but I almost feel like that is impossible until the pain stops.
poohhel

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:25 am

Poohhel: I absolutely empathise. Also... in an earlier post to you I left someting out that sos-group-owner usually includes:

CoQ10 should be gelcaps (not powdered in a capsule), contain some vitamin E or taken with vitamin E. Vitamin E should be d-Alpha (natural) and NOT dl-Alpha (synthetic).

Mine are gelcaps. I order them from Nutracuetical Sciences Institute (they're on the web)

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:45 pm

During my last 18 months of Zocor use (six years total), I had decided to shape up. I lost 15 to 20 pounds of the weight I had gained over the years -- most of which were Zocor years. I exercised nearly everyday and watched what I ate a bit more. Mainly I quit eating late at night except for unsalted unbuttered popcorn. I noticed I was always on the verge of gaining it back if I was not disciplined.

When I quit statins, I quit exercising completely for months (and still only walk a mile or so per day) and started eating saturated fats much more often. I was surprised that I continued to lose weight with no effort. Weight gain or loss was of little concern to me at that time. Over the past 5 months after quitting I have lost about five MORE pounds where I would have expected to gain weight back.

I'm glad it has come up in this forum and believe it's significant and deserves more attention (maybe a poll?). For one, it's a great tool for getting someone to give up their statins when they think they are God's Gift to Mankind. They do not have to understand reality -- physics, biochemistry, etc. -- or anything about "statin economics & politics." All they need to understand is that they will be more attractive if they quit statins. They will simply be less of a fat ass.

When all else fails -- or even before it does -- play the "fat card."

I used it recently.

Case closed. Statins gone.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby poohhel » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:14 pm

Brooks...Again Thank you for the information. :D I am going to get the supplements, I figure at this point I can't do any worse to myself than the statins already have and besides from what I have read...this is the right choice. I will also start to do as much exercise as my body will allow.

Biologist...Thanks for your input. I appreciate the fact I have the ability to learn from others experiences. :wink:
poohhel

Postby adec » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:11 am

Just take the exercise very *slowly* and easily at first. Just realize that in your condition you might be more susceptible to a set backs in the form of major/minor muscle/tendon/ligament pulls and tears, and exercise accordingly. You want to think in the terms of rehabilitation, as opposed to exercise, for instance using body weight alone, or exercise bands.

But I definitely believe (100%) you will be very soon on the road to recovery. Keep reading and absorbing. :wink: Good luck, and please keep us updated. :)
adec

Postby poohhel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:52 am

Thank you adec :!: I will keep everyone informed. I told my hubby about the "statin alternative" supplements and the "exercise for rehab" and within 2 mins he was out the door and at the store. Then when he got home we went out to our home gym and we talked about some of the exercises I could start with that would not put me through too much. :)
poohhel

Postby Brian C. » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:49 pm

May I suggest that you investigate chi gong and tai chi as gentle ways to fitness and strength poohhel? I am finding the standing exercise routines of jan jong ("standing like a tree") qigong beneficial with absolutely no risk of injury or exhaustion.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby poohhel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:56 pm

Thanks Brian I will look into it... One of my bosses is really into that form of "exercise" and he will be very excited to share all of his info with me :D
poohhel

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)