New Visitor - Shortness of Breath

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

New Visitor - Shortness of Breath

Postby FEAndrews » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:35 am

I am a new visitor to this board, and I hope I can get an answer to a problem that has me extremely worried. I'm 50 years old, but have always been active, and I play racquetball 2 or 3 times a week. I've been taking Vytorin for about a year now, and have noticed that I no longer have the stamina to play a competitive match. Midwday through the first game I'm usually bent over trying to catch my breath. I've never experienced anything like this, and wonder if Vytorin could be the cause.

Ay comments would be appreciated.
FEAndrews

Shortness of breath

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:00 pm

Statins cause a reduction of Coenzyme Q10 in one's body and this can cause trouble anywhere. The heart has a great need for Q10 to produce energy to pump blood 24 hours every day, and a kind of heart failure occurs, not through muscle problems, but because it cannot get access to enough energy to work sufficiently hard.

I had this problem before I stopped my statin 4 years ago, Q10 supplementation works for me, but don't leave it too long, or muscle deterioration will take place. Dr Peter Langsjoen says that he gets 2 or 3 new cases of statin induced cardiomopathy in his cardiology practice every week. I was on simvastatin for 4 years, stopped it, and got worse for another 14 months until I found Q10, I am now, at 85, totally dependant on Q10 to keep my heart going.

The recommendation has to be to get off the statin and take Q10 as soon as possible, taking folic acid and B6 and 12 if you are worried about possible heart attack precautions.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby FEAndrews » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:08 pm

Thanks for the response. Coincidentally, I've been taking 100mg of Q10 as well. I think it was recommended when I was on the Atkins diet a couple of years ago.

I'm starting to think that while playing, my muscles get so fatigued that I can't get enough oxygen to them. I recover quickly, but I need to get my stamina back to compete on the racquetball court.

A couple of weeks ago, I was so tired after playing a couple of games that I was forced to sit and rest for 20 minutes before driving home. I've never experienced anything even remotely like this.
FEAndrews

Postby Darrell » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:01 pm

20 minutes would be a quick recovery from statin-induced myopathy. Consider getting checked out for claudication if the description fits:
[http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/claudication/HQ01238]
Darrell

Postby feandrews » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:59 am

Thanks for the response, but the description doesn't match what I've been experiencing. I have had no pain, just muscle fatigue and shortness of breath during vigorous exercise.

I didn't take Vytorin this morning, and seem to feel better already.
feandrews

Fatigue after exercise

Postby Ray Holder » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:33 am

In my experience, 100mg of Q10 while taking a statin is nowhere near enough. I had been taking 400 mg a day for some time after stopping my statin, and was then given another statin after a stroke, but that statin soon caused me angina, and I had to stop it. As I said once before, taking Q10 while still taking a statin is like trying to fill the bath with the plug out.

As you exercise a lot, you may also have problems with carnitine deficiency due to the statin, besides reducing your muscle energy supply, a shortage means that "combustion" products from muscle use are not disposed of, this giving a feeling of fatigue in the muscles. In addition, 60% of the heart's energy is supplied by fat, and this can only be used if sufficient L Carnitine is available and the exercise you do may be more than the available supply can support.

Don't let my remarks worry you into thinking that this is a major disaster, take action with Q10 and carnitine to avoid the problems getting irreversible, I am glad to see that you have stopped your statin. For my paper on the causes, see www.spacedoc.net/r_holder.html

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby tex62 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:51 pm

FEAndrews,

I had difficulty breathing while taking Zocor, one of the components of Vytorin. My problem was not just on exertion, but could occur anytime. Initially, difficulty breathing was not described as a side effect on the patient information sheet, but was later added. I had been taking Zocor for just over a year when I developed fluid on my lungs (very painful!) and spent several hours in the emergency room. I had numerous medical tests in the following three months. All test results were normal. Since I’ve stopped taking Zocor, I no longer have difficulty breathing. From what I’ve read, it seems that this is a documented side effect of some statin drugs and goes away after stopping the drug. If your doctor is supportive of stopping Vytorin for a few weeks, it might be worthwhile to see if your problem goes away.

I hope this helps.
tex62

Postby feandrews » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:40 am

Thanks for the response. It's very helpful and comforting to know that others have had a similar experience. What's frustrating is that I've mentioned these symptoms to my doctor, and he never mentioned the possibility of a link to Vytorin. He said it was probably allergy-induced athsma, and would improve along with the air quality.
feandrews

Reply for "feandrews"

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:11 pm

Hi "feandrews",

Most doctors look for muscle pain and elevated liver enzymes... PERIOD... even though 'serious' adverse effects such as 'shortness of breath' are clearly stated as statin adverse reactions. 'Shortness of breath' from any drug is due to a serious allergic reaction. To assume asthma or bad air quality is ridiculous. Time to find a new doctor.

Fran

The list below is from 'Drugs.com': [http://www.drugs.com/cons/Vytorin.html]

Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Check with your doctor 'immediately' if any of the following side effects occur:

Abdominal fullness; bloating; chills; constipation; darkened urine; fast heartbeat; fever; gaseous abdominal pain; hives; hoarseness; indigestion; irritation; itching; joint pain; large, hive-like swelling on face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, sex organs; loss of appetite; nausea; pains in stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back; severe nausea; stomach pain; rash; recurrent fever; redness of skin; shortness of breath; stiffness; swelling of eyelids, face, lips, hands, or feet; tightness in chest; troubled breathing or swallowing; vomiting; wheezing; yellow eyes or skin

And another source...

When you must not take it (Vytorin)

Do not take VYTORIN if:

* you have an allergy to VYTORIN or LIPEX (a brand of simvastatin), or to any of the ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include skin rash, itchiness, shortness of breath, swelling of the tongue or face, or painful joints.

Source: [http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/cmi/v/vytorin.htm]
sos_group_owner

CoEnzyme Q10 an informative website

Postby Ray Holder » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:03 pm

I came across this website today and it has a very good and factual article about the discovery of Q10 and how Japan authorised its use for heart problems back in 1974, but western drug companies failed to take it up as it could not be patented. So, good for health, but not the health of Big Pharma's finances, so guess which won!!!

It is actually on a cosmetic firm's website, but the facts tie up with what I have read elsewhere and it could be a good article to show a sceptical doctor.

It does not mention the "persecution" of researchers of Q10 which you will find elsewhere, but shows the various fields in which Q10 has been found useful.

Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)