new here!!!! ex-vytorin user

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

new here!!!! ex-vytorin user

Postby tgw537 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:15 am

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their information. I thought
I was going crazy here....
All of these stories sound similar to mine. I started taking the statin meds about two years ago. I first went to see my doc for a physical. I was 28 at the time and I really didn't go much to see the doc on a regular basis. He said everything looked fine but my cholesterol was a little high (216). Two years later I have been on Lovastatin, Lipitor, Provolchol, ect... and I complained of chest, arm, and leg pain. My doctor played feed the fish with all these different meds until he gave me vytorin. I took it and with great results my cholesterol droped to 164. That was not all, I made 5 or 6 trips to the ER thinking I was getting heart attack symptoms, virtigo, west nile, you name it. I had EKGs, a stress test, heart holter, MRI of my head, poulmanologists tests, blood work for my thyroid, the list goes on and on. The funniest thing about all of this...every single test I had done came out negative. No heart problems, nothing wrong with my brain, no breathing, thyroid, nothing!!! So I read a few topics here and low and behold I believe you guys and gals are correct. My doctor also said "You need to get used to the medicine" and "Statins don't cause that" I have not used that Vytorin for three days now and the pains are going away. I cannot take meds that cause more problems than what its worth. I guess we are the 3 out of the 100 people that suffer the side effects...I think those stats should be updated.
tgw537

Coming off statins

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:47 pm

At your age, it might be as well to take the folic acid/ vitamin B6 and B12 combination possibly with Betaine (TMG), see other posts. to avoid homocysteine, which is a greater danger than cholesterol. Statins will put years on your age and add a lot of insidious damage to appear later on in life, if you keep taking them.
I believe a lot more than 3% have problems, but they go unrecognised.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby tgw537 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:34 pm

Thanks for the infomation. The "centrum performance" mutivitamin has B6 6mg, B12 18mcg, and Folic Acid 400 mcg. Are these levels good enough????
tgw537

B vitamins

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:55 am

Opinions on levels needed vary, and insufficient trials seem to have been done so far. The folic acid figure is well agreed in 3 formulations, B6 and B12 amounts vary widely. Your product seems a bit low on B6 and B12, but only a homocysteine level test would tell you if it was doing its job.
I take Jarrow Formulas product, which has a bit more of them, and also includes TMG, which works in a different way from the other constiituents, but I have not had a test, and just hope that it is doing its job.

The NORVIT trial on this subject seems as if it was designed to fail, others have had good results.

Ray
Ray Holder

Side Effects of Vytorin

Postby skoch » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:25 pm

Hello All,

I, too, am new at this sight. I have exercised consistently for 20 years and have been a slender person. I inherited high cholesterol and have taken Vytorin for the past year and a half. I have noticed aching in my legs, mild stomach pain, gastric distress, some unsteadiness and weight gain which refuses to budge. I have also noticed fatigue as well.

I am now thinking Vytorin is the culprit and as of tonight, have stopped taking it. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms, especially the weight gain which is freaking me out? I refuse to take any more statins. Does anyone have knowledge of other healthy ways to reduce cholesterol? I eat well and excercise already.

Thanks!
Sue in VA
skoch

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)