Vytorin Side Effects

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Vytorin Side Effects

Postby katrinka » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:04 pm

I seem to have put on at least 10 pounds since beginning Vytorin (coincidence?); have an appointment with my primary doc to discuss switching back to Pravachol which seems to work just fine for me - wonder if anyone else has had this same side effect with Vytorin?
katrinka

Poss. new side effect of vytorin

Postby hgreg » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:20 pm

I stopped taking vytorin about 5 months ago because of adverse side effects and realized after reading your posting that I had lost 12 lbs (from 137 down to 125) within 8 to 10 weeks after stopping the drug. I was not doing anything radically different than I had done before; so maybe it was stopping the vytorin. I had gained those pounds slowly over a period of several years but I was originally put on lipitor in 1998.
Wouldn't that be an interesting revelation if that could be confirmed by research?
I would be interested to learn if anyone else has noticed this happening to them.
hgreg

Weight Gain

Postby lisamrego » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:43 pm

I too have experienced the same weight gain. I am 34 and have been taking statins since I was 18. I have been on Vytorin for nearly 3 years now and have noticed a steady weight increase with little change in my diet/activity level. I have also noticed constant fatigue, low sex drive, and a sense of feeling 'puffy' from all of the water I now hold. I work in a field where I attend many conventions and after standing for an hour, my feet are double in size and I am in pain. A Dr. that works with my company (we are in the healthcare industry) commented that I needed to take prescription water loss pills. I of course do not want to add any other prescription...My point, a lot of the weight gain is water weight but I do notice that not all of it is and I have always though this was due to statins. I have taken breaks from them over the years (as symptoms build up and overwhelm me) and I notice that I always lose weight when I do and it comes back when I start on them again. I too have no doctor that will agree with this assessment and I have been to many.
lisamrego

Postby ted williams » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:30 pm

my cholesterol count went from 380 to 125 in 6 months with vytorin but my homosysteine count went from 2 to 50. has anyone else had changes like this :?
ted williams

Reply for Ted

Postby sos_group_owner » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:13 am

Hi Ted & Welcome to the Forum,

Total cholesterol of 125 is way too low. If you're not getting enough of the B vitamins (especially folic acid, B6 & B12), that could be one reason for the spike in homocysteine levels.

An additional note if you are taking theraputic doses of niacin... "A controlled study found that 1,000 mg or more per day of niacin raised homocysteine levels." (Garg R, Malinow M, Pettinger M, et al. Niacin treatment increases plasma homocyst(e)ine levels. Am Heart J 1999;138:1082–7)

Although most labs say that <11 (and even as high as 15 micromoles per liter of blood) is a healthy level for homocysteine (Hcy), there is no safe "normal range" for (toxic) Hcy. Optimal Hcy levels should be 6.2 or less. For each 3-unit increase above 6.3, there is a 35% increased risk for myocardial-infarction (heart-attack). (American Journal of Epidemiology, 1996, 143[9]:845-59)

Epidemiological data reveal that Hcy levels above 6.3 cause a steep, progressive risk of heart attack. (American Heart Association's journal Circulation, Nov. 15, 1995, 2825-30)

In addition to folic acid, B6 and B12, some might also need TMG (trimethylglycine), P-5-P (pyridoxyl-5-phosphate), zinc, inositol and/or choline to control Hcy.

Excerpt from an excellent article that explains homocysteine:
"There are three biochemical pathways used by the body to reduce homocysteine. In one pathway TMG donates a methyl group which detoxifies homocysteine. In this reaction, TMG is reduced to DMG (dimethylglycine), that familiar-product sold as a supplement for its energizing effects. In the other routes, folic acid, B12 and B6 convert homocysteine into nontoxic substances. Some people can't utilize one or another of these pathways. That is why a combination of all these nutrients is most effective for lowering homocysteine. In some people vitamin B may not be efficiently converted to its active co-enzyme form, pyridoxyl-5-phosphate. In that case supplementing with pyridoxyl-5-phosphate would be necessary. "

Source: "CHOLESTEROL IS NOT THE BAD GUY!!!" By Dr. Deb Baker
[http://www.y2khealthanddetox.com/truthchol.html]

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)