I feel the need to save my Father from his doctor

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

I feel the need to save my Father from his doctor

Postby Hiness » Mon May 22, 2006 10:18 pm

My father is almost 86 years young. He has had some heart problems, but leads an active life. He's had a defibrilator for about 5 or 6 years and it has never ever had to shock him. He has also on Cumidin with great results.

In late November of 2005, Dad's heart doctor decided to try this Vytorin, along with his Cumidin. Dad seemed weak around Christmas but we just chalked it up to age. In January he collapsed and was rushed to the hospital almost without any blood left. He had an bleeding ulcer low in the colon area that had drained him. They transfused almost 7 units of blood over the course of several days and he was feeling much better. My mother thinks that the Doctor was ignoring the fact that Vytorin is not to be mixed with a blood thinner like Cumidin. The doctor acts like she's lost her mind. Doctor takes him off the Cumidin, leaves him on the Vytorin. February 28, he gets his first major heart stoppage and the Defibrilator kicked in. April and he passes out and was told it was the defibrillator kicking again (twice).

Today he is in the hospital because of breathing problems and swelling of the ankles. Cardiomyopathy they think. Did a catheterization today and found nothing.

My mother and I both think it's the Vytorin. He was fine on the Cumidin. Now basically he's on a downhill run. Vytorin is the only culprit.

How do I convince a doctor that knows it all, to take him off it? So his blood count looks good! Who cares if he's dead?????

Please, I value your replies!
Hiness

Postby bunnylady » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:55 pm

I'm reading your post and realize its been several months since you posted it- I hope to GOD you took your father off the statin drug! At 86 he's lived a long life- who cares what is Cholesterol level is-

its like keep it simple stupid (to the doctor)

I have had swollen ankles and feet too- terrible stuff
bunnylady

Postby tex62 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:27 pm

Hiness, I thought I read all the new posts, but didn't see your May post until today. Hopefully you still monitor this site. Please read the article that appeared in Geriatric Times called Statin Adverse Effects: Implications for the Elderly. It was written by Dr. Beatrice Golomb who led the recent study on statin side effects. The full report of this study hasn't been released. The article in Geriatric Times points out increased dangers for the elderly who take statin drugs. You can read the article at: ww.geriatrictimes.com/g040618.html
tex62

Just do it yourself like I did before this killed me.

Postby ronricci » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:24 pm

Sometimes doctors don't know what they are doing just like any other profession. I am a computer systems Engineer. I am a good one. I know a lot of bad ones. I know only one good doctor so far. He is my GI guy. I might ask if he has any GP friends.

You are in charge of your own health and, your father, his. Just stop the pill yourself/himself. It is likely doing WAY MORE HARM than good.

Ron
ronricci

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)