Unusual dreams

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Unusual dreams

Postby ssetd » Sun May 14, 2006 2:35 pm

Doc: Thank you for the hard work and generosity.

For several years, I have declined the doctor's suggestion to take statins. Last week, I succombed as my total went to 284, LDL 209. At 52, I would like to live to see my children grow. First thing noticed is strange and intense dreams: Being told I must deny Christ, seeing a machine run that grinds up soldiers... replete with flying bone fragments and globulets of fat. Vytorin apparently touches something mental... or my fears are just being portrayed and the drug has nothing to do with it. As to that, though, the odd thing is the depth, content, and unusual nature of these events. They are unlike any dreams I have ever had prior. Each night, I ponder whether to take another pill, but do (and I am on the low level 10/10 dose.) Figuring that weird dreams are better than a heart attack and thinking the dreams will taper off as I adjust to the med. Seeing this website, though, makes me think that maybe there is a better way. I am new, having just found this work, but wanted to throw my experience into the mill.
ssetd

Reply for "ssetd"

Postby sos_group_owner » Mon May 15, 2006 10:40 am

Hello "ssetd",

There are other reports of statins causing nightmarish dreams.
One example:
"Atorvastatin may cause nightmares"
bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/332/7547/950

Fran
sos_group_owner

Thanks, Fran

Postby ssetd » Mon May 15, 2006 9:01 pm

The dream intensity has decreased, but the head still seems definitely affected. It is almost like a mood or attitude change. Headaches also. Why am I still taking the drug? Thinking the side-effects will go away and knowing that it will be a waste of the money I have already spent and I will be back to zero with no real plan. I do appreciate your input.
ssetd

Reply for "ssetd"

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue May 16, 2006 2:27 pm

Hi again "ssetd",

There are numerous accounts of mood and attitude changes and some are permanent. When my husband was still taking Lipitor, he was always angry. Part of his anger stemmed from changes in memory (he had several bouts of TGA), but all-in-all his mood was definitely affected. He also had trouble sleeping through the night. He'd fall asleep around 11pm, and turn the TV on about 3am (I just loved that!) and watch it until he fell back to sleep.

My husband has improved considerably over the past couple of years (post 8 years of statins). He takes only one BP med and all the rest are nutritional supplements, including "statin alternatives". He had a quad bypass 10 years ago, but I will never subject his body (and brain) to statins ever again. The recovery is long and very frustrating for both of us.

Please consider taking Dr Graveline's recommendations - statin alternatives (to reduce/prevent inflammation):

1) buffered aspirin - 81 mg
2) CoQ10 - 100 to 150 mg
3) folic acid - 400-800 mcg
B6 - 80-100mg
B12 - 200-250mcg
4) Omega 3 (fish oil or cod liver oil) [ There is no upper limit.]

These four items/categories have the same anti-inflammatory affect as 20 mg's of Lipitor, without side effects.

Keep in mind these supplements are not designed to lower cholesterol (because cholesterol is NOT the problem). Together they are a potent anti-oxidant, they reduce platelet stickiness and control (toxic) homocysteine levels.

This is the link Dr Graveline's article about "Statin Alternatives":
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby ssetd » Tue May 16, 2006 4:39 pm

Thank you, Fran. This morning, woke up with a head that felt like a night's drinking had occurred: foggy brained, headache, bummed... did have one clear thought, "throw the damned drugs away"... which I did.

So, your advice is very timely. I had been thinking the red rice yeast, or some such stuff. I don't see that on your list, though.

I do appreciate your input. Is there a good website to order vitamins, is there a certain brand better than others, should i just grab whatever is available at the local grocery?

don
ssetd

Reply for Don

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed May 17, 2006 12:15 am

Hi Don,

Note of caution: red yeast rice is a statin. Yes it is natural, but can cause the same side effects as any of the statin drugs. RYR (monascus purpureus Went) contains "mevinolin". Mevinolin is lovastatin (aka Mevacor and Altocor).

I know it's difficult to switch gears and forget cholesterol levels, because it's pounded into us with every Dr's office visit, but that's the first step.

Inflammation is the problem, not cholesterol. Inflammation is caused by elevated homocysteine which in turn causes "oxidized" LDL.

If you are in the USA or Canada, all the items on Dr Graveline's "statin alternatives" list can be purchased at Walmart. For online purchases, Consumer Lab rates vitamins for their quality and content.
Their website: ww.consumerlab.com/
Click on "where to buy products".

Consumer Lab provides some of their info free. I don't subscribe and still get most of the info I need. For supplement ratings, click on "laboratory test results".

Since you've made the decision to stop taking statins, you should at least take aspirin daily. Statins are a potent anti-inflammatory and there is an increased risk of heart attack and stroke when stopping them abruptly. Tapering off is recommended over a 2 to 3 week period.
http://www.spacedoc.net/stopping_statins.html

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby ssetd » Wed May 17, 2006 7:22 am

Thank you, Fran. I was on the drugs less than two weeks. Enough is enough, though. First day off and the morning wake-up is already much clearer and no headache. Dreams last night were vivid, but not unusual or macabre. I think my body was trying to get a message to me. I appreciate your advice very much. Thank you. don
ssetd

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)