Another VYTORIN Experience

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Another VYTORIN Experience

Postby Bob Simms » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:29 pm

I am a 66-year old male currently taking NORVASC for high blood pressure, ASPIRIN and PLAVIX for blood thinning and VYTORIN for cholesterol control. I started with the NORVASC and PLAVIX a couple of years ago after experiencing two mild transient ischemias (TIA's). My GP considered it prudent to lower my moderately high cholesterol levels, so he placed me on ZOCOR, which reduced my cholesterol to around 200. In light of the TIA'S, he wished to see further reduction in cholesterol, so he placed me on ZETIA in conjunction with the ZOCOR. After my supply of ZOCOR/ZETIA was exhausted, he placed me on VYTORIN about three months ago.
The NORVASC controls my blood pressure to an average 120/80 and my cholesterol is now well within acceptable levels. Since I've started taking the VYTORIN, however, I experience fatigue, severe exercise intolerance and muscle cramping. I have always been physically robust and up until recently could perform at a physical level superior to the average of my age group. Additionally, I am experiencing a dramatic loss of libido and becoming increasingly impotent. I have gained 10 pounds in weight, probably due to the fact that I don't have the stamina for even moderately strenuous physical activity. I am not overweight, nor do I smoke or drink alcoholic beverages.
I related this to my GP at my last visit, and he pointed out that some of these symptoms are also relevant to heart disease. He very appropriately referred me to a cardiologist to rule out a heart problem, and I am scheduled for a stress test in the very near future. Should no heart problem become evident, I intend to discontinue taking the VYTORIN and go back on straight ZOCOR. If the symptoms I described abate, I can be resonably justified in concluding that the VYTORIN, most likely the ZETIA component, was the source. My wife has informed me that she did not observe my symptoms when I was taking the ZETIA as a separate pill, but only after I started on the VYTORIN. So far as I know, there is no chemical bonding of the ZOCOR/ZETIA in the VYTORIN (is there?).
After reading the information about COQ10A, I decided that it was plausible, at least insofar as my layman experience could determine. I conferred with my GP, who by the way is an excellent doctor who actually listens to his patients and seems to realize that medicine is a joint effort involving a doctor and a patient. How lucky am I? He is undecided about the merits of COQ10A until more definitive double blind studies are performed, but agreed that it certainly couldn't hurt. He refered to his PDA, but no suggested dosage was given, so I started with a 50mg gel capsule in the morning and one in the evening. After ingesting the first capsule, I felt a little better, but this could have been a placebo effect. The next morning, after taking another capsule, my blood pressure rose to near 200 systolic, then decreased to normal over the next hour or so. Needless to say, I was nonplussed. A few days later, I gave it another try with the same result. Since every authority to which Ive referred considers COQ10A an extremely benign substance, I cannot imagine why I had this reaction. Does anybody have any ideas about this odd reaction?
Should the cardiologic examination reveal a problem then my suspicion of VYTORIN is moot. I do find it revealing, however, that the symptoms that I've noted do not seem uncommon. I'm quite certain the simvastatin component also generates side effects, but at this point they are not so severe as to overide the benefit derived from cholesterol reduction. I will keep this forum informed of my progress and greatly appreciate the opportunity to communicate with peers.
On a side note, I am not one to criticize the medical and scientific community when (honest) mistakes are made, for the very essence of science (and life in general) is to learn from mistakes, to gradually move from mistaken to less mistaken. Science that does not admit of incomplete knowledge has become dogma, and dogma suspends progress. I am, however, harshly critical of the pharmaceutical industry. The misleading advertising to the general public, subordination of scientific/medical ethics to the corporate business ethic and rapacious profiteering are disgusting.
Bob Simms

Postby Bob Simms » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:57 am

I took my stress test on Jan 9th. It consisted of a gamma emission scan prior to walking on the treadmill, then a walk on the treadmill with EKG monitoring, then another gamma emission scan immediately afterwards. The cardiologist's nurse called yesterday, Jan 12th, and informed me that the stress test did not uncover any underlying heart disorder. Most important, I was instructed to cease taking VYTORIN and revert to straight ZOCOR. After perusing in this forum people's reactions to the various statins, I realize that ZOCOR itself often has serious side effects. Possibly my bad experience with VYTORIN is caused by the ZOCOR as much as the ZETIA. In any event, my cardiologist wants to see me again in two months, no doubt to determine whether dropping the ZETIA has any beneficial effect. I sure hope it does.
Bob Simms

Postby Bob Simms » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:17 pm

Now, two or three weeks after dropping the Vytorin and going back to a straight dose of 40mg of Zocor, the symptoms that I described in my original post are only slightly abated. So now I'm thinking that perhaps the Zocor is causing my problems. I have appointments with both my GP and the cardiologist in March. Getting sick and tired of always being tired. :(
Bob Simms

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)