Home Cholesterol Test

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Home Cholesterol Test

Postby marie910 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:30 pm

Does anybody know if home cholesterol tests are accurate? I had my cholesterol checked a month ago and it came back at 248. My doctor was in a hurry to prescribe Vytorin because I have Type 2 diabetes. I haven't taken it yet because it scares me to death! I'm only 29 years old! When I had my blood test done, I had just miscarried 7 weeks earlier and started the birth control pill, and I know that both of those things can cause elevated cholesterol levels. But my doctor said I can't wait and need to start the medication right away. I have changed my diet drastically and take fish oil supplements instead (going against my doctor's advice). When I used the home cholesterol test, my cholesterol came back at 162. Are these tests reliable/accurate? I don't want to get too excited yet....
marie910

Postby Darrell » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:45 pm

You missed some important news that makes the question kind of irrelevant:
*http://www.forbes.com/home/healthcare/2008/01/14/enhance-merck-schering-biz-healthcare-cx_mh_0115bizenhance.html

Remove the * and follow the link and you will see that last week Zetia and Vytorin were found to be somewhere between useless and counterproductive.
Darrell

Postby Darrell » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:48 pm

And also read this from the latest issue of Business Week magazine before your doctor starts you on something else:
*http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_04/b4068052092994.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_best+of+bw
Darrell

Postby marie910 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:05 pm

I already know about the problems with Vytorin and other drugs - that is why I am not taking them! I was asking about cholesterol tests. If this home test is accurate, I have no reason to be on any kind of medication. I want to avoid medication at all costs, but being diabetic, a smoker and having a horrible family history, I don't have any ammunition to take to my doctor. Does any body know if these home cholesterol tests are accurate?
marie910

Postby PAD » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Marie, I did not even know there was a home test. I will go out and get one tomorrow. Just had mine checked and it was very high. I can't take statins and am taking the fish oil, vitamin, mineral, diet, exercise route. I am to have a new test done in April. I'll be a test subject too. Check back here in several days and I'll let you know what mine did. And please read the articles mentioned above. I think our doctors have been seriously brainwashed. Oh, and I am also type 2...Pat
PAD

Postby marie910 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:01 pm

I bought the First Check Home Cholesterol Test at my local pharmacy. Apparently the big deal is that you have to follow the directions exactly or it could provide inaccurate results. I did the test exactly as it said and got my number. Please let me know what your results were. In the meantime, if anybody else has any info on these home tests, please share your experiences. Thanks.
marie910

Postby Darrell » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:06 pm

Marie, as I read the Business Week article (especially the second paragraph in your case), you probably don't need statins -- no matter what your cholesterol numbers are and no matter whether they are accurate or not.
Darrell

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)