Frozen shoulders

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Vytorin and its side effects.

Frozen shoulders

Postby big al » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:48 pm

My doctor put me on Vytorin about 6 months ago. Within 3 months I had tremendous paid in my right shoulder and couldn't put a plate on a shelf higher than my shoulder. A month later, my left shoulder started experiencing the same pain. I had MRI's on both shoulders and they indicated severe rotator cuff tendinitis...but I hadn't played golf or lifted weights or do anything with repetitive movements for over 2 years. After cortisone shots in both shoulders, I've been in physical therapy to stretch the capsule surrounding my shoulder joint, which is stuck to the bone. My physical therapist noted that they had had three other people who had "frozen shoulder" problems after starting on statins. I stopped taking Vytorin 2 months ago. After physical therapy, I now have hope of swinging a golf club again someday. I was curious to see if other people have experienced this problem after going on Vytorin or some other statin?
big al

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Al: I had rotator cuff squeaking, grinding, and pain for months in my shoulders (knees, hips, elbows too). It has gradually eased since I quit the Statins, but I am not 100%. I'll share another bit of information with you, though I am not promoting a product here; I mention this because it worked for me: Joint Relief manufactured by Iceland Health; you can find it on the web. It did help my joints recover to their current condition. Hope you get better soon.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Statins and Rotator Cuff injury

Postby M Dawe » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:26 pm

Hello,

Age 58, physically active. After 18 months on lipitor I developed tennis elbow in the right elbow followed in a few weeks by the left elbow. A month later I developed serious pain in the right shoulder followed a few weeks later by pain in the left shoulder accompanied by severely restricted arm movement. I was not aware of any physical activity that had caused any of these injuries. I stopped taking lipitor and talked to a chiropractor, he commented that my biceps seemed "spongy" and diagnosed the shoulder pain as rotator cuff injury, we started some gentle rotator cuff exercises, it took 9 months to eliminate the pain and restore movement to both shoulders. I now have no shoulder or elbow pain and full movement of both arms. I suspect the lipitor played a role in these injuries.
If any chiropactors are following this thread, your association would be a good source of independent information re. statins and muscle/tendon injury. Possibly a simple survey documenting muscle related injuries with lipitor use. If a strong correlation was established it would be worth doing a scientifically sound study of chiropractic patients.
M Dawe

Postby big al » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:34 pm

M Dawe,

Thanks for the feedback! Helps to know I'm not crazy! And that it's probably going to take another six months of physical therapy to get rid of the pain. The pain from stretching is excruciating due to the number of nerves in the capsule. Even if there aren't enough funds for a statistically sound clinical trial, even a large amount of anecdotal evidence from chiropractors and physical therapists might cause the FDA to look at this closer. The GPs and orthopods of the world are not even opening to considering that there may be these types of side effects from statin use.

big al
big al

Return to Vytorin (Simvastatin and ezetimibe)