Life post-Lipitor - D-ribose, a preliminary finding

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Life post-Lipitor - D-ribose, a preliminary finding

Postby Brian C. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:06 am

Within the last two weeks I have added D-ribose to my supplement regime, either 1g twice daily or 2g in one dose prior to going out or other exertive activity. It is early days to draw a conclusion and it may be just that this has coincided with an upswing but I do seem more capable of activity and angina (I have a blocked LDA coronary artery) has been less of a limiting factor.

For example:

Yesterday I went out walking twice AND cleaned the kitchen floor AND put the cleaner over the lounge and dining-room carpets prior to my wife's return from work.

This morning I have been shopping with my wife and was my old "jack-the-lad" self the whole time :wink:
Still feeling good.

Fingers crossed.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:44 am

Hi there Brian,

it is good to see you and SusieO have a new lease of life both using different methods. It seems that there may be hope for us all yet.
To do what you have done (house work), I would need to attach a rocket to my rear end and light the fuse :D

Sometimes I am just lazy but other times!!!

Good luck to both you and SusieO and let us know how things progress.

All the very best,
Allen. :D :D :Dj
Allen1

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Brian: Keep getting better! It's always good news and a boost for us all when someone gets a leg up.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby SusieO » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:51 pm

Brian I hope your progress continues - it truly is a great feeling, isn't it! :D

I have a feeling it may be a hit and miss type treatment plan for each one of us to see what actually helps.
SusieO

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:24 pm

Brian/Susie: D-Ribose, eh? I've enough stuff in my cupboard to bring Sudan back from the brink - what's one more? Ordered it today & hope I have the same good fortune. Susie, I'm keeping the practitioner you recommend on my 'things to do' list just in case. Meanwhile, I hope you both continue to improve!

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:23 am

Yes, maybe the D-ribose, maybe coincidence but I am still able to walk briskly. Hope it continues, to put it mildly.

Dr Sinatra sings the benefits of the trio Co-Q10, L-Carnitine, D-Ribose so thought it worth one more addition to the regime :)

Of course, his recommendation is intended for those like myself who have already developed heart disease.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby adec » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:51 am

"Jack the lad," I rather like that expression... very debonair. Seems me and Allen need rocketfuel. :)

And don't forget magnesium for heart health; Dr. Sinatra dubs this the "awesome foursome" -- coQ10, L-carnitine, D-ribose, magnesium. Each plays a part in restoring efficient cellular energy metabolism. Yes, he's a very smart and perceptive doctor.

In simple terms, coQ10 acts as the gatekeeper of cells, L-carnitine helps to transport fatty acids used for fuel, D-ribose maintains cellular efficiency by supplying sufficient oxygenation, and magnesium holds together overall healthy cell and tissue function. Remember, especially acetyl L-carnitine more actively crosses the blood-brain-barrier than regular L-carnitine. My mom has been supplementing with all four, and the transformation from statin-poisoning till now is remarkable.

Ribose is essentially the sugar component of ATP and RNA formation. ATP is the main component of energy in all living organisms. Ordinarily ribose is made from glucose in our cells. However, D-ribose supplementation allows the heart and muscles to keep up with increasing demands under conditions of hypoxia or low oxygen.

I would also add vitamin C to the process, since these five have symbiotic relationships. Ribose allows more vitamin C to be absorbed... meaning less stomach irritation. Increasing vitamin C would allow more natural production of coQ10. Vitamin C would help better regulate oxygen levels and lower free radical formation. Vitamin C and ribose together would help to firmly maintain optimal cellular oxygen levels. Adequate oxygen levels further allows CoQ10 and acetyl L-carnitine to do their jobs. MSM would also help further soften and penetrate cell membranes to feed starving mitochondria, or our cellular powerhouses. Judicious use of Bioperine would help to increase bioavailability of the entire process.

This forum needs more supplement spotlights like this one.
adec

Postby uncle2blade » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 am

adac,
I've read a lot of your posts, over the last few months. Thanks for all the info. you give.
I've been supplementing for eight months now, but it has been guess work. Can you tell me what supplements you recommend, and in what amt.or send me to a past post.
Thanks, Craig
uncle2blade

Postby Brian C. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:17 am

Your input is greatly appreciated adec!
Re magnesium & Vit C, I have been taking c. 8g magnesium ascorbate daily for a long time so I believe I should be OK on that score.
I also take a little selenium.

Brian.

PS I don't know about debonair, by "Jack-The-Lad" I meant more like the lairy East-Ender of my youth than Jack Buchanan :lol:
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:50 am

adec: Yes. I echo Brian's comment: Thank you for your input!

I keep a separate list of Spacedoc entries and internet links which I find particularly interesting and just included your last.
Also, I notice from your avatar you are a college student. Would you mind sharing your field of study?

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby SusieO » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:05 pm

For me, the person, who would not spend $$$$'s on supplements I am now taking about 23 different types a day! It is working and I am living proof because as of today I have walked 26 miles in the past 12 days!!!

The treatments from my doctor also help me greatly to rid my body of the many toxins that have accumulated over the years from meds.

I am now able to stop taking my Verapamil and only take my Atenolol every other day (both heart meds). My b/p is fine and the reason I take the Atenolol is my pulse, while still normal, is a bit high for me (I get anxious feeling). I am hoping this too will come down as I walk more and I will be able to totally stop all Rx drugs!!! :D
SusieO

Postby Brian C. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:14 am

Well, it's been a whole month now and I continue to feel great. Now have stamina again! I can still feel the myalgia but it seems to be receding. I have been doing metalwork in my workshop which has involved hand cutting some large apertures and it was NO PROBLEM :)

Would have never got where I am without being here.

Thrice daily: 200mg CoQ10, 200mg R-Alpha-Lipoic-Acid, 1 capsule Lidtke GlycoTrol, 2g Magnesium Ascorbate, 2g L-Carnitine, 2g D-Ribose, 2g Alfalfa powder.

Twice daily : 600iu Vit D, 90mcg MK-7 (Vit K2), 4mg Astaxanthin

Once a day : 200mcg Selenium, 2g Krill Oil.

Onward and upward!

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby adec » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 am

That's great news Brian! I cannot tell you how pleased and excited this makes me, tickled actually. :) I too wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and the vital info presented on this forum.

I also just discovered Uncle Blade's message, and PROMISE to respond to him in the next few days. Or you can also find my e-mail address by pressing the profile button on this message.
adec

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)