Thank you for saving my life (long post)

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Thank you for saving my life (long post)

Postby bshar489 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:27 am

Hello: I just registered here and wanted to say thank you for saving my life.

My story is like so many others on this forum. Last November my doctor started me on Lipitor 20 mg. My total cholesterol was 200. I don't remember the rest of the numbers. The changes came slowly. First the muscle pains, which at first I thought were due to overexertion. I mentioned them to the doctor who agreed and said that at my age (56) I had to expect that sort of thing. Then came the fatigue, and gradual memory loss, fogginess, inability to concentrate, depression. If not for these, I might have been able to link the symptoms with the Lipitor. I was slowing falling into a pit.

It all came to a head last July. I had had a terrifying experience where at one moment I was sitting at my computer and the next I "came to" desperately looking for something (still don't know what), the house in a mess, drawers pulled open, etc. I looked at the clock and I had "lost" 2 hours. I was convinced that it was the onset of Alzheimers. By this time my muscles ached so bad I could hardly walk, couldn't climb stairs. I went to my doctor to try and get answers. He was running 2 hours late and all he was interested in was getting out of the office by the time it was my turn. I had gained 15 pounds in 3 months which he scolded me for and said that was the cause of my muscle problems, too much weight. I was so upset that all I wanted to do was just get out of there.

I had hit rock bottom. I made up my mind on my way home that I couldn't and wouldn't live like this any longer. When I got home I got on the computer, intending to look up suicide methods. Instead when I got to the Google website I found myself putting in my symptoms. I believe it was Providence, Doctor, that led me to your website. I started reading your articles and the forum and it was like a ray of light penetrating my mind. When I concentrated, I realized that all this started out within a month of being put on Lipitor. My gosh, I thought, could all this be because of that? I would hang on and find out. I didn't ask whether I should gradually quit--I determined that I would not take another pill.

Within two days, the pain was diminishing--but even better, my mind started to clear, it was like waking up from a nightmare. I'm one of the lucky ones. Now, nearly 3 months later, I have no residual symptoms--I can walk freely, I can climb stairs, I can do everything that I could do before the nightmare began. And my mind is clear, the depression is gone.

I told my doctor I quit taking the Lipitor, why, and the results. His reaction? "Yes, Lipitor can do that sometimes." I'm sure I was heard in the waiting room when I shouted, THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN TO ME? YOU NEARLY KILLED ME! He still contended that I needed cholesterol lowering medication so wrote me out a prescription for Lopid and Zocor. Zocor! Another statin! I tore it up in his face. At that time I didn't know what Lopid was for and didn't care. I need to find another doctor.

I'm so sorry for this very long post, but I have not been able to talk to anybody that would listen or believe me. I'm so grateful the find this place. I have determined to eat healthier and take charge of my own destiny. I now take B vitamins, C, fish oil, and will be adding astaxanthin. I feel great. Thanks again.

Bergette
bshar489

Postby adec » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:00 am

Hi Bergette, and welcome to the forum. Stories like yours are indeed heartrending. Yet they also stand as huge affirmations to this forum's vital importance. As if somehow we're slowly documenting this collective case toward the overprescription of clinical statins. I cannot overemphasize my continued astoundment at these horrific side-effect episodes, just the daily influx alone. Again, I certainly appreciate you sharing your story, and hope you continue reading and posting. Sadly cautionary tales such as yours won't be found near too many doctor's offices.

I'm also empathetic to your plight. Being as I too have posted on this forum about my mom's [and aunt's] own debilitating bout with statins. This once young, vibrant, joyful woman was gradually reduced to a mere shell of herself. It came rather abruptly to a head just two days before Christmas. She had somehow developed this manic obsession with planning her last will and testament. The memory impairment, episodes of amnesia, ALS and Alzheimer's-like symptoms, muscle pain and weakness, hearing and vision problems... at that critical juncture, I just knew something was drastically wrong and went in search of answers. I just have so much gratitude to Dr. Graveline for writing his book, and providing this forum and the unfettered access to important statin-related medical issues.

Almost two years later from that date she is healthier than ever, and continues to grow and improve beyond any statin damage. I hope others can find encouragement in her own statin recovery, one through simple diet and supplementation. Especially since statins deplete CoQ10, it's a supplement of vital importance -- this to be followed closely by aceytl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. These would be things to be recommended ASAP. Without them statin recovery would be a much slower and more painful process.

I also highly recommend astaxanthin for lowering oxidized-LDL and triglycerides, and raising HDL. This is the most beneficial cholesterol profile possible. Studies have been written about those with the highest HDL living longest, contrary to the total cholesterol myth being sold by the medical establishment. Good luck. And if you have any further questions feel free to ask.
adec

Postby bshar489 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:18 am

Thanks, Adec, for your recommendations and your welcome. I'm so glad that your mom is recovering from her bout with the statins. In my case it's been almost like a "near death" experience I appreciate life so much more and have readjusted my priorities :D

All I can say is thank goodness for the Internet :D I'm reading everything I can on the subject.

Bergette
bshar489

statins

Postby vipergg22 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:27 am

first of all unless you have some severe heart problem anyone with a level of 200 should not even be on medications . Most doctors will ever deny the side effects due to lawsuit concerns , same thing happend to me back in the 1998 timeframe when on lipitor within a month my feet started going numb and the dr denied it was the medicine and I did not know any better back then so stayed on for another 3 years before it go so bad I could not stand the pain and numbness anymore and i started looking for answers also and low and behold peripheral neuropathy is a common side effect. I had numerous other side effects from it also , always tired , sever digestive problems , better be near a bathroom after eating dinner for almost any food . Would go to bed more or less normal and wake up with my knees hurting so bad I had to nearly crawl to the bathroom . I continue to deal with the permanent damage these statins did to the nerves in both feet , that has never resolved it self even after trying Q10 , benfotiamine and other things . All the other side effects did resolve themselves , I can eat anything Iwant now without any problems , i don't wake up with my knees killing me etc... I will never touch another cholesterol lowering drug , if the doctor gives me a hard time I will just find a different one , I will even sign a waver if thats what he is worried about . Everything in life is a risk , but I won't go thru that again . Our bodies make a certain level of cholesterol for a reason and taking some artificial chemical to alter this process in your liver no less is more risky than the problem . You certainly have to be responsible for your own health and not get morbidly obese and not expect problems but for the millions of people whose levels are "supposedly" elevated a little and the doctors want to throw them on drugs I would take a very close look at this . Seems to me they have made little progress in the 20 years these so called wonder drugs have been on the market which leads me to believe they are barking up the wrong tree.
vipergg22

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:42 pm

Bergette: Yes, we are ALL grateful for this place. I'm so glad you are feeling better and even more-so because you have not carried into your recovery any permanent change caused by the Statins. Don't be surprised or discouraged if the symptoms return in some form on occasion; this seems to be a common occurrence among sufferers, and the symptoms usually dissipate. And, too, we'll all be here if you need to 'talk' again. Best wishes for continued good health.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby SusieO » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm

Bergette what a sad story with a happy ending for you! I am so thankful you found this site because it truly is the best site on the internet for those of us suffering from the nasty statin side effects.
SusieO

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:38 pm

Yours is a typical standard story that most of us have experienced, including the doctors lack of concern. Mine wrote more Rx's to cover all the side effects and when he found out I had quit them, now they all think I am crazy.

But I know, deep in my heart, if I had continued on them, I would not be able to hold my job any longer and be on disability because I couldn't think and hardly had enough energy to get out of bed.

My saying is "The miracle of statin drugs happens when you quit taking them!"
Cat Mom2

Postby bunnylady » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:51 am

Cat Mom 2- Amen to that!
bunnylady

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)