When to take Lipitor - Bedtime or Morning?

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

When to take Lipitor - Bedtime or Morning?

Postby peedeem » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:59 pm

I have been taking Lipitor 10mg for probably 10 years now. As prescribed by my doctor, I took 1 every night when going to bed. Last week at my 6 month visit, I mentioned to him that sometimes I forget to take it when going to bed, so would it be OK to take it in the morning with the rest of my medications, and he said it should be OK to do so. I haven't noticed any changes yet. The other drugs I take in the morning are Metformin, Altace, Atenolol, Norvasc, and a coated asprin. My question is: Is it BETER to take the Lipitor at bedtime on its own, or taking it in the morning with the other meds?
peedeem

Postby SusieO » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:20 am

Welcome Peedeem; I am not trying to sound rude or snotty by any means, but in my opinion there is no safe or good time to take Lipitor. If you read the posts on this forum 90% of us have sustained damage from a statin drug and we no longer take them.

I hope Lipitor is working for you and wish you all the best. Maybe someone else will be able to answer your question or you may want to ask your pharmacist.
SusieO

Bedtime or Morning?

Postby peedeem » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:02 am

Thanks for your reply SusiO. Your opinion is definitely not rude or snotty. I will read through more of the posts on here, but, according to blood tests my cholesterol has been normal for the past 5-6 years, so I plan on continuing with it. Funny thing just happened: My wife was making cheese, cucumber, and lettuce sandwiches for us. The cheese had some mold on one end of it. She asked me if I checked the date on the package when we purchased it a couple of weeks ago, and I told her it was January 2008. She immediately went to the garbage where she had tossed the packaging, looked at it and said "You can take Lipitor!". I had just told her about reading that Lipitor causes memory loss.
peedeem

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:09 am

Predeem: Statins are poison to many people, but if you are one of the lucky few who are as yet unaffected, here is a simple rule of thumb: Most cholesterol production takes place during the night. Statins that are more aggressive but stay in the blood a short time are: Zocor, Mevacor, and Lescol and are most effective (I use the term with difficulty) when taken before bed. Lipitor, Crestor, and Pravachol are not as aggressive but stay around longer and can be taken any time. That said, please read the information contained on this site (Statins Home Page); read relative remarks in the forum, and consider if it is worthwhile to endanger your quality of life or perhaps life itself by continuing to take Statins.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi Peedeem
I noticed that your meds included a beta blocker, presumably for blood pressure, and a diabetic one as well.

You should watch your blood pressure and your sugar levels when you take Q10, which can improve both blood pressure and sugar levels.

The result of this action is that the meds may then drop them too low, I have been able to drop 2 out of 3 BP meds since I have been on Q10, otherwise I felt faint, and you may need less diabetic med, so monitor these factors carefully.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby vipergg22 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:33 am

[quote="cjbrooksjc"]Predeem: Statins are poison to many people, but if you are one of the lucky few who are as yet unaffected, here is a simple rule of thumb: Most cholesterol production takes place during the night. Statins that are more aggressive but stay in the blood a short time are: Zocor, Mevacor, and Lescol and are most effective (I use the term with difficulty) when taken before bed. Lipitor, Crestor, and Pravachol are not as aggressive but stay around longer and can be taken any time. That said, please read the information contained on this site (Statins Home Page); read relative remarks in the forum, and consider if it is worthwhile to endanger your quality of life or perhaps life itself by continuing to take Statins.

This is true but you have to wonder then people have fasting blood tests done if nighttime is the time when it is created the most, when do people have their test done , usually first thing in the morning when the reading could be higher than they would normally be . Its possible people are being put on these drugs when they don't need to be.
vipergg22

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:55 pm

viper: I would think that an aggressive, nighttime statin would tend to result in a LOWER AM cholesterol (if I understand your underlying supposition), and, so, should result in a lower tendency to Rx. That said, and in support of your final comment - I am absolutely CERTAIN people are being put on Statins unnecessarily, and I don't have to look any further that the posts on this forum to sustain that position.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:03 pm

viper: Ah, yes. I understand your premise now. Sorry.

I would guess that the baseline for 'fasting, AM' blood test results was developed using 'fasting, AM' standards; that would make the most sense to me. But, since the same profession developing the standards are the same people Rxing the Statins, who knows for certain?

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)