Lipitor for 4years-need help with CoQ10

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Lipitor for 4years-need help with CoQ10

Postby patmac41 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:44 pm

I was on Lipitor for almost 4 years and had symptoms but thought it was just aging. In November 2006, my symptoms became unbearable-I would lie awake at night with the aching-I kept falling, had no energy and I thought I was dying. I went to the doctor and had test after test without any diagnosis. After reading about Lipitor on this website I talked to my doctor agreed she that I could go off the Lipitor. I did so in March. I had immediate improvement-the tiredness, most of the muscle pain and the falling down went away, but I was left with a severe pain in my hip joint. I have been to the chiropractor, orthopedic doctor, had a cortisone shot and physical therapy and it is not better. If I walk or do the exercises that the therapist gives me the pain gets worse and spreads down my entire leg. I have trouble standing up and push on the table to help myself stand. I'm now back to having the total body aches-everything hurts. Last night I started taking CoQ10 and Lcartinine. Would someone please help me so I know the right amount to take? I don't know if I can take too much. :? I wonder if someone could also suggest a type of doctor (as is medical field) who could help me?
patmac41

Postby Ray Holder » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Hi Patmac and welcome.

I suspect that 200mg of Q10 in oil based capsules each day should be sufficient for you, but more may be necessary in some cases, I take 700 mg a day, but I have heart problems as well, and it only goes to waste if you don't need it.

As for L Carnitine, I believe that 500 mg capsules are available in USA, tablets didn't work for me, they dissolve too slowly. Start with one or two a day, first thing in the morning, best 1/2hour before food, and after 3 days, if not fully improved , (unlikely) add another one. and so on until either you feel sufficiently better, or your bowels object, in which case, reduce by one tablet. (unlikely to happen under 2 grams a day) I take 6 grams a day, but I have a far greater need due to previous polio. Some take larger doses spread out over the day, but try not to take them within 2 hours after a meal, and then try to fit it in at least 1/2 hour before eating, a tall order sometimes, but do the best you can within reason.

I very much doubt if you will find a doctor who understands the need for Q10 and carnitine, Dr Peter Langsjoen in Tyler, Texas, is the world expert on Q10, but you may be nowhere near him. I have been battling for over 5 years to get the message across to the medical profession, but drug co financed research has such a loud and biassed voice that it needs an earthquake to counter it. (I just might have set off such a shake up with a letter I have just despatched, but must wait and see)

Hoping you get relief,

Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)