stopped lipitor, now cholesterol is WAY up...

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

stopped lipitor, now cholesterol is WAY up...

Postby laff66 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:25 pm

Has anyone else had this happen? I was at about 220 when I started Lipitor a few years ago. The medicine dropped it to 165. I took it for a few years, and now I've been off of it for 4 or 5 months, and my cholesterol is almost 270!!
Please let me know if you've experienced this, and if so, did it go back down?
laff66

Postby JIMNSC » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:17 pm

Hey laff66 - Are you eating correctly and exercising and are you taking anything to replace the Lipitor in he way of supplements?

Jim
JIMNSC

help for high cholesterol

Postby Bennie » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:05 pm

Have you tried Posicosanol? It is a natural product that is guaranteed to bring cholesterol without any side effects. We have been taking it since my husband had his trouble and our cholesterol is fine. The health food store where I buy my products told us that was what the doctors take!!! Good luck.
Bennie

Re: stopped lipitor, now cholesterol is WAY up...

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:31 pm

Re: TC of 220 and now 270 after stopping Lipitor

Hi Laff66,
Has your doctor checked your homocysteine?
Elevated homocysteine causes inflammation and it's inflammation that's the problem, not elevated cholesterol. Elevated homocysteine also causes "oxidized" LDL.

The remedy for elevated homocysteine is folic acid, B6 & B12. Some also need TMG (Betaine) and zinc to lower homocysteine. Optimal level is 6.2 or less, even though most labs say up to 11. 4 is OK.

OBTW, the only side effect of the B vitamins might be extra energy.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby laff66 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:37 pm

I haven't been taking any supplements other than some pretty standard vitamins. But I wasn't taking supplements before Lipitor, when cholesterol was only 220. I'll have to look into homocysteine levels.
Anyone know if 4 months is enough time to "normalize" after years of being on Lipitor? I would think thats more than enough, but am still tempted to give it a while longer.
laff66

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:15 pm

It can take as long as 2 years for the affects of statins to cease, but there is no guarantee that all side affects will completely disappear. Unfortunately for some the damage may be permanent.

Using statins to lower cholesterol has not been proven to be effective in women or seniors. Pfizer is being sued for Lipitor false claims.
biz.yahoo.com/ap/050928/pfizer_lipitor_lawsuit.html?.v=1

Fran
sos_group_owner

Re: stopped lipitor, now cholesterol is WAY up...

Postby Cindy54NC » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:23 pm

[quote="laff66"]Has anyone else had this happen? I was at about 220 when I started Lipitor a few years ago. The medicine dropped it to 165. I took it for a few years, and now I've been off of it for 4 or 5 months, and my cholesterol is almost 270!!
Please let me know if you've experienced this, and if so, did it go back down?[/quote]Total choelsterol, when calculating risk, is pretty much meaningless. What are your HDL and LDL numbers, and most important, what is your Triglyceride level?

Triglycareides are thought now to be the most important, maybe even the only important, leve of the lipid profile. High Tri's are directly related to high carbohydrate intake, and can be easily lowered by simply cutting way back on sugar and starch intake. Swap out your high starch fruits and veggies for lower carb ones and avoid all processed carbs.

In the prescence of high Tri's your body will most likely produce mainly small, dense, dangerous LDL particles, whereas keeping your tri's low promotes the production of the bigger, denser, more beneficial type of LDL.

HDL is important, the higher the better. This can be increased by lowering your carbohydrate intake, exercising, and avoiding all trans-fats.

High cholesterol is not necesarily bad. Your body requires cholesterol to create each and every cell in your body. It's important in the production of hormones and a lack of it can result in illness.

If you are concerned about heart disease, ask your doc to check your CPK and homocystine levels. Eat as natural a diet as possible, and exercise.

My total went up after stopping Lipitor, but has now stabilized.....at a high number, but my other levels are fantastic.
Cindy54NC

Postby cardiaccure » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:47 pm

Hello laff66,
I was on Lipitor for off the scale cholesterol levels too, however I had side effect issues and stopped taking it. I have been using vitaminC as a natural statin and it has worked wonderfully. I am Canadian so our cholesterol rating scales are different than your in the U.S. so its hard to compare, but my doctor was all crazy about it. The difference is that I had a heart attack at age 40 and at first very concerned about cholesterol. But the more I read about it the more I became less concerned and went the natural way. I highly suggest you read a book by Dr. Steve Hickey called "Ascorbate", it is very informative and relates to vitaminC as a natural statin, but as a prevention and possible cure for heart disease. Duane Graveline is a believer too, I have talked to him about my condition and he likes what I tell them what vitaminC has done for me.
I dont know if you suffer from angina, or have had a heart attack, I have had both ( I face 6 bypass surgery). But I feel so much better and have reduced my angina by probably 95% by taking from 9 - 12 grams of vitaminC a day. I highly suggest you check into it. I am happy to be more in depth with you if you are interested, it did miracles for me.
P.M. me if you are interested.
Cardiaccure
P.S. since P.M. have been disabled on this board, if your interested in more info, post a relpy on this board and I will respond.
Last edited by cardiaccure on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cardiaccure

Reply for "cardiaccure" - Cholesterol Conversion l

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:19 pm

Two links you might find useful...

Conversion: US and International Lipids Measures for Cholesterol, LDL, HDL
heart.kumu.org/cholcomp.html

Conversion: US and International Lipids Measures For triglycerides
heart.kumu.org/triglcomp.html

Fran
Last edited by sos_group_owner on Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
sos_group_owner

Postby laff66 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:36 am

I have absolutely NO symptoms or problems other than the elevated cholesterol. I am only 39, and otherwise healthy (so far). My employer is going to start giving us the multi slice CMT scans in 2006, so I think I'll wait and see what that shows.

If my arteries show to be clear, is there any other reason I should be concerned about cholesterol? I still don't think cholesterol is NEAR the bad guy its been made out to be.
laff66

Reply for "laff66"

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:57 am

At 39 you are way too young for a lifetime of cholesterol lowering meds. If your arteries are clear using CMT, your main concern should be "inflammatory factors": homocysteine, CRP (C-Reactive Protein) and Lp (a) - Lipoprotein (a).

The B vitamins, especially folic acid, B6 and B12 control homocysteine. Some also need TMG (Betaine) and Zinc to work with the B's. Best to take a B complex so you get a balance of B's.

CoQ10 (Gel form and needs some vit. E), Omega 3 (fish oil or cod liver oil), the B's and 81mg aspirin all have anti-inflammatory properties.

Also beneficial are Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and Vitamin E (Alpha, Beta, Gamma - tocopherols) with tocotrienols.

Of the standard lipid profile:
HDL - the higher the better
Triglycerides - if elevated - most times due to simple carbs, especially sugar and white foods - flour, pasta, rice, potato.
Replace with complex carbs - whole grains, brown/wild rice, sweet potato.
Cinnamon (capsules available in 500 mg) - take 2 daily

Cinnamon lowers trig, LDL cholesterol and controls blood sugar.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Replacements for statin drugs

Postby pj » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Just read post asking about other supplements to replace statins;I take red yeast rice extract capsules,& standardized gugulipids extract capsules.You can get them both @ GNC shops,the Vitamin Shoppe,Puritan's Pride, and your local vitamin store.My cholesterol has never been over 200mg/dl. and I love meat.I try not to eat much white flour or white sugar.I eat rice pasta,pork rinds,veggies,well cooked,fruit,chicken,fish...well you get the picture!
pj

Postby JIMNSC » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:31 pm

I am very interested cardiaccure. Is vitamin C your only supplement for reducing cholesterol or do you take others. 9 to 12 grams is a lot of C. How did you work up to that amount and do you think a lesser amount might work also. I guess I'm interested in your rationale for your dosage. I presently take 2.5 grams of C and didn't have a good guide as to hw high to go.

Thanks for any info - Jim
JIMNSC

Reply for "PJ"

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:49 pm

Hi PJ,

Red Yeast Rice (a natural statin) can produce all the same side effects as
prescription statins.

Just curious... If your TC has never been over 200, why are you trying
to lower your cholesterol?

Are you also supplementing with CoQ10?
RYR depletes CoQ10 the same as statins.

While taking RYR you need regular liver function tests (to check for