My mom on Lipitor

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

My mom on Lipitor

Postby cls » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:00 pm

Unfortunately, I am seeing the mental and physical deterioration of
my 74 y o mother, as her dose of lipitor was recently raised to 40
mg. She has been on statins for about 8-10 years. She is afraid if
she quits the lipitor, she will have a stroke or heart attack. I am
more worried about her mental state when she is behind the wheel.
She says she figures all this is because she is now 74. The decline
seems very swift since about a year ago with the higher dose.

Two days ago, I went with my mother to her regular check-up. I had
convinced her to see a rhuematologist about all her aches and pains.

The doc had her CPK and adolase checked.
Her CPK was elevated, so at the check-up, her regular doc said to quit the Lipitor.
Now we have to wait and see if she feels better soon.

It only took me two days for my soreness to go away, but she is 21 years older
and took 40 mg and I only took 10 mg of Zocor.

My 83 yo father is in a veteran's home with so many physical problems
I could write another post twice this long. I am not sure which
statins he takes, but he has not been the same mentally since a
triple by-pass about 12 years ago. I don't think the statins
prevented him from cardio-vascular disease anyway.

Any comments or advice welcome. Thanks for letting me vent.

Connie
cls

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:21 am

It is a good thing your Mom is off of them and I am sure she will live a longer, healthier life without them. When I was on them I felt like I was 90 years old or more and I was in the 50-60 year range and I kept telling everybody, I don't ever remember Mama ever having all these ailments.

I quit them July of last year and was amazed at how fast all those ailments went away. That stuff is poisin to many of us and I wish the doctors would wake up and realize the damage it does to otherwise healthy people. I was not to far from being on disability... Sorry, but I am one of those that would rather be working and living my life doing things!

Now, to just make those doctors realize I do not even want to hear that "cholesterol" word anymore!
Cat Mom2

Postby cls » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:07 pm

Hello again,

I forgot to mention in that earlier post, that I asked my mom's gp if she should take any supplements or anti-oxidants to help lower her cholesterol in stead of the 10 mg of Lipitor, he said "I wouldn't bother with that."

Isn't that amazing? I should mention that my mon's doc is also my gp, and he prescribed the 10 mg of Zocor that caused myopathy and muscle weakness and countless other problems for me.

I went off the Zocor with his permission and felt better in 2 days. I felt better in many ways for about 2 months until a round of Levaquin, an antibiotic that I found out caused very many side effects including, muscle and tendon pain and rupture, plus many that are apparently irreversible like peripheral neuropoth.

Unfortunately, stopping the Levaquin after the 10 dose did not alleviate the pain, I am trying to use L-carnitine and Acetyl- l-carnitine along with the Coq 10 for the statin damage.

Connie
cls

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:13 am

I didn't ask my doctor! Once I realized the statin was causing all the problems I was having, I took myself off of them and when he found out, he was fixing to write me a RX for another kind.. I told him "I am done with statins! NO MORE!".. Ha! Now they are all so concerned about me since I got off of them that it is funny Every time I go they say "we need to do blood work and check your cholesterol!" I tell them "No we don't, I am feeling 100% better and that is all we need to know!"... They just don't get it!!!
Cat Mom2

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)