Decreased dosage of lipitor

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Decreased dosage of lipitor

Postby weezie49 » Tue May 22, 2007 6:20 am

I removed myself from lipitor 10 mg. and in two weeks had fabulous results. Muscles didn't hurt as much and went back to activity. Unfortunately my cholesterol numbers increased and the doctor wants me on another statin. I went from 199 to 235. HDL's remained the same. I asked to try Zetia- my doctor is putting me on this against her wishes. I have been taking Dr. Graveline's substitute for statin-coq10,aspirin,vitaminB6-12,fish oil.
My husband was taking 10mg. lipitor for eight years and decided to cut the pill in half (5mg.).After three months his cholesterol numbers went from 169 to 173. He will continue to take this dosage along with coq10,fish oil and vitamins.
weezie49

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue May 22, 2007 10:50 pm

Weezie: I am a Statin damage sufferer like yourself. I took a short cut and pasted the following thread from another of my posts.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One PRIMARY cholesterol reduction supplement is Vitamin 'C'.

Below is an excerpt from one of the sites I peruse:

A safe, natural regimen instead of Lipitor and other statins

What is most horrifying about this problem is that cholesterol balance can be achieved without drugs, simply and safely by taking 3000-6000 milligrams of vitamin C per day, 1000-2000 mg per meal, for an adult, or about 500 mg per meal for a 50-lb. child, with sufficient water intake, 2 quarts per day for an adult, 1 quart per day for a 50-lb. child. Unfortunately, vitamin C was misclassified as a micronutrient in the 1930s and 1940s, rather than an essential nutrient involved in dozens of body processes, including continual repair of our arteries. Our health authorities recommend that we take only 60 milligrams per day, barely enough to prevent scurvy. The pharmaceutical industry has used scare tactics to frighten people not to take vitamin C in the quantities necessary for health or to give it to their children.

By the time we reach age 20 we have accumulated enough plaques to be seen on an MRI or Ultrafast CT scan: we have the beginnings of cardiovascular disease. When most people reach middle age they have enough coronary artery blockage to be classified as cardiovascular disease. The doctor prescribes Lipitor, thinking it will help, but instead it may cause muscle degeneration in the heart and elsewhere and actually increase coronary artery plaques.

If you do not suffer from statin-induced damage but you would like to stop taking these potentially dangerous drugs, or you have elevated cholesterol levels or have heart disease, you can click here to read the article on the root causes of heart disease, or click here to order the Natural Therapy for Cardiovascular Disease.

Recovery from Lipitor-induced damage

Considering the wide range of cellular degeneration that could result from use of Lipitor and other statins, it is impossible to know which organ system should be the initial focus of recovery. The very first thing that people can do is to begin taking large doses of vitamin C to maintain cholesterol balance, and to stop taking Lipitor or other statin drugs. The so-called "side effects" are simply too dangerous and numerous to contemplate continuing taking them.

Jonathan Campbell, the author of this article, has developed multi-faceted regimen to address the cellular damage that could be caused by statin drugs and has written a manual called Natural Strategies for Recovery from Lipitor and Other Statin drugs.

The site is found at the following url:

*http://www.cqs.com/lipitor.htm

Remove the * before you cut and paste it into your browser

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Wed May 23, 2007 2:24 am

In my experience as a heterozygotic FH sufferer Vit C has little or no effect on cholesterol level. I have been taking 2.5 - 3 grams three times a day for several months. 6 weeks after stopping Lipitor my level was 312 mg/dl, roughly the same it was pre-statins 17 years ago, when I was on just cholestyramine resin.

I am now taking berberine hydrochloride and alfalfa extract to increase LDL receptor activity along with artichoke extract to increase bile secretion and the usual raft of measures, including nicotinic acid, to boost HDL-c.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed May 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Brian: Is it posssible that Vitamin C effectiveness is impacted by personal physiology? I have read a lot about Vit C and its effect on cholesterol and find few detractors and many supporters. Perhaps you hit the mark with "Heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia" (congenitally elevated cholesterol) as your particular personal inhibitor to the effect of Vit C... I don't know, its all anectdotal evidence anyway - nothing absolute. I wouldn't dismiss the potential of Vitamin C out of hand though. My levels are down since taking it, but that doesn't mean Vit C is totally responsible. I'm going to keep taking all the stuff I take now, including Vitamin C under the old Texas adage: "It's good if it works; it ain't if it don't."

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Thu May 24, 2007 2:15 am

Oh yes, having FH undoubtedly puts one in a different category from those who do not share this condition.

The Vit C may not be having a lipid lowering effect in my case but I value it for all the other good things it does. The more the merrier I say :)

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)