Which type of L-Carnitine?

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Which type of L-Carnitine?

Postby spd » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:48 pm

I’m currently having joint and muscle pain that may be due to Lipitor use. I’m interested in trying Q-10 and L-Carnitine, but I see there are several types of L-Carnitine available:

L-Carnitine
Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Propionyl-L-Carnitine

Which type should I try to help alleviate my joint and muscle pain?

Thanks . . .
spd

Postby Ray Holder » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi spd, and welcome

L carnitine is suitable for relieving muscle pain and it will also counter muscle wastage, should that be occurring,

Some on this site have found either that or Acetyl carnitine suitable for pain alone, there is no point in taking both at the same time.

Propionyl L carnitine has been recommended in other places, and I have seen a posting from someone on this site who uses it, but I have heard no mention of superiority in using it.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby poohhel » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:21 pm

I found this in a document that supports all three carnitine for muscle repair in one form or another; each with their extended primary function,

Note: the following are cut and paste sections from research collected.

ALC for neurological disorders "Ongoing research has shown that the acetyl component of L carntine plays a key role in the production of a major neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, which is responsible for proper brain and nerve cell function, the part that includes memory",

LC for muscle weakness and loss and the cell’s mitochondria "L carnitine is an amino acid responsible for the transportation of fatty acids into a cell’s mitochondria (which is the power house of the cell)"

"studies show that Acetyl L carnitine might be able to be absorbed more easily than L carnitine"

PLC on muscle and exercise tolerance..."but propionyl-l-carnitine (an acyl form of carnitine) was more effective than l-carnitine in improving treadmill walking distance. Propionyl-l-carnitine has not been approved for use in the United States."
poohhel

Postby Brian C. » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:06 am

I'm currently taking all three.
Still waiting for the benefits to show....

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Ray Holder » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:00 am

Hi All
It seems there is hope of exceeding a century with the help of carnitine!!!

See the new study on *http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/6/1738

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby SallyM55 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:18 pm

THANK YOU for this thread and the wealth of information in it!

I took Lipitor for only 90 days back in 2006. It put me in the hospital for 2 days after all my muscles cramped severely one day. They flushed out my system, but ever since then I haven't felt 'right' on many different levels. The most painful one was in my muscles, and after reading this thread I rushed out and bought L-Carnitine just in case it would help me.

I was baffled about the muscle pain since the "Lipitor Incident" as I refer to it, was 2 years ago. The severe pain started intermittently, then more and more often, until it was every night that I woke up with a lot of pain that made me cry at times. And I'm not a sissy girl... it was very painful.

I bought the L-Carnitine last Friday evening, started taking it right away and since then I have not had any night time muscle pain! It would seem that it works for me!! I almost hate to type this, for fear that talking about it will somehow make it start hurting again. But right now I am SO happy I read this thread, and I wanted to thank you all for your time that you took to post all this great information!!

So THANK YOU all for your information!!

Sally Miller

PS - I intend to do further reading around here hoping to learn much more!
SallyM55

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Sally: Nutraceutical Sciences Institute (NSI) has a raft of L-Carnitine supplies available including the illusive Propionyl L-Carnitine and Acetyl L-Carnitine Arginate (best for memory problems as it passes the Blood/Brain barrier) as well as AL-C HCI and the others. I've no interest in the company, it is simply where I've been able to locate the supplements I/we require.

**WWW.GONSI.com Exclude the asterisks if you use the link.

Good luck,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby SallyM55 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:12 pm

Thank You for that link Brooks. I got some liquid L-Carnitine at GNC as a trial, but they are quite pricy compared to what I saw at the site you suggested. I'll compare doseage and price so I can compare apples to apples.

I do wonder though, if I should take all the different types?

And I also heard someone talking one day about taking supplements in liquid form because its not so hard on your liver, plus it works faster since it doesn't have to go through the liver. Anyone have an opinion on that? It makes sense to me, but I'm not at all knowledgeable on medical stuff.

Thanks again!
SallyM55

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:51 am

Sally: You're quite welcome. I find ALL items cheaper on the internet.

I take ALL three types and have no problem. The only side effect I know of, and only if you take way too much, is loose bowel movements.

Taking a liquid form simply means it is more dilute that the powdered form, and that may be why you heard it is EASIER on you. AND every thing goes through the liver because all blood filters through the liver. Once something goes down your gullet the liver gets a shot at it. Montezuma gave Pedro De Valdavia something to drink that didn't go through his liver; that, I think, is a rare exception.

GOOGLE the different forms of carnitine or just GOOGLE 'carnitine' and you'll find a wealth of information to help you make an informed decision.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 am

"Montezuma gave Pedro De Valdavia something to drink that didn't go through his liver"

I thought that's what Cortes did to Montezuma!
According to legend ;o)

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:15 pm

Nope. It was MONTEZUMA'S revenge; not Cortez'. When Montezuma did it he is reported to have said: "Drink, Valdavia, drink!" as he poured the liquid gold down Pedro's throat... NO appetizer!!

What a way to go!
You see? ... things could be Sooo much worse! :shock:

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

statin drugs

Postby gotts1936 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:51 pm

I had to take Acetyl-L-Carnitine to ease my leg muscle pain. My legs hurt like hell when I took L-Carnitine. Good or bad, Acetyl-L-Carnitine works for me. But, that me, may be L-Carnitine works for you.
gotts1936

Postby Brian C. » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:12 am

I have a strange phenomenon re L-carnitine to report. Because of delivery delays (I ordered my usual L-carnitine from Bulk Nutrition 2 weeks ago and am still waiting) I haven't been taking any for the last few days. In that time my usual spontaneous myalgic twinges (i.e. those not brought on by effort) have been strangely absent. When I experimented a few months back with reducing my CoQ10 intake from 900 to 600 mg/day I soon suffered an increase in such muscle pain.

It's nice to be pain-free - though I am weak and moderate exertion does bring on pain - but I am flummoxed as to why the absence of an essential element of front-line defence for us "statees" should result in improvement of a long-established symptom.

Any hypotheses guys?

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:57 pm

Brian,

be careful with the lack of L-Carnitine, I ran out of it for about 3 weeks before I managed to order some more from the same source as yours. The order was on the 5th of last month and the carton arrived on the 28th. My health went downhill fairly fast during that time, mainly aching and weakness from my neck, arms and shoulders, the type of ache that burns between your neck and shoulder blades and feels like you can't support your own body. Apart from weakness in my arms and what I have mentioned I also became fatigued almost as strongly as I was before starting the L-Carnitine and later Q10.

Since getting my new supply I have once again gone through the loose bowel effect just like when I first started, apart from that I do not seem to be improving. I had expected to at least be almost halfway back to where I was by now but any improvement is minuscule and I find that I am having to rest a lot more than before (and that was bad enough).

I also have been getting palpitations and other strange heart sensations since I ran out so do be careful as feeling this way is not good for anyone.

All the best,

Allen.
Allen1

Postby Brian C. » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:29 pm

Yes Allen, I've been getting the palpatations and almost overwhelming feeling of weakness - yet it's the first time I have been free of the old familiar myalgic pain in my upper arm for years.

Postie was very late today but delivered my new supply at last.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Allen1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi there Brian,

I am pleased your parcel arrived and I hope you quickly get relief from the palpitations and almost overwhelming feeling of weakness (it certainly is an awful sensation to experience). I am going to order some more long before I run out next time. Things are really bad when we all have to depend on importing supplements to make our living just a little bit easier while more health issues keep appearing one after another.

All the best,

Allen.
Allen1

Postby peter s » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:57 am

I believe Dr. Sinatra recommends l-carnitine-fumarate? Anyone know about this?
peter s

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:15 pm

As I said in my other post, Dr Sinatra also recommends Propional L carnitine for heart problems, his book details are there

Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)