Life immediately post-Lipitor.

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Postby mgguy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:56 pm

Poohhel, its good news that you know what it is and can now treat it. Now you can look forward to good, pain-free days ahead. Yaaahoooo.
mgguy

Postby Ray Holder » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:15 pm

The W Australia Polio Network mentioned in one of their newsletters a few years ago that several post polio sufferers were getting trapped nerves.

I wonder if this occurs through some muscle weakness occurring which means that your body takes up a different position than previously as the balance of effort between the muscles is upset because one or more of them is weakened.

I am sorry that I cannot offer any remedial suggestions.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby poohhel » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:23 pm

Ray that may be something I will research. I have to admit that although I am hoping all this is as simple (a term I use quite loosely, because even this has not been easy nor will be the recovery) as a few pinched nerves, I still believe the statins cause the confusion in my nerves... similar to what you suggest Ray regarding the muscle weakness.

I mean considering Perpherial neuropathy is a side effect of statins AND Perpherial neuropathy has similar reactions as that of a pinched nerve, then perhaps the statins are still to blame. Nevertheless, I am not going back on statins, so hopefully...the physical therapy and treatment will benefit in either case.
poohhel

new kid on the block

Postby pjallittle » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:00 am

Had a small TIA in mid-January, it was very brief but certainly not to be dismissed. The ER Doctor prescribed aggranox, Altace, a hbp med, and lipitor.
Within no more than a month, I'd suddenly began experiencing a weakness, tingling, slight pain in my left little and ring finger which I'd immediately reported to my physician. He offered exactly zero advice. So, because of a longstanding mistrust of doctors, went off on a search of my own, landing at this site.

I'd probably been taking the lipitor @20mg for approximately 6 weeks and stopped entirely. The condition which I'd describe as a peripheral neuropathy hasn't changed, but the random muscle crampings that I had begun to experience as never before have ceased entirely. Typing on a computer is especially challenging, as [b]a[/b] becomes [b]z[/b] and the Shift key is a nagging problem.

Have I caught this in time to achieve a full recovery? And what is the downside of not keeping the cholesterol in check? These are looming questions which I hope some of your experiences can help me with.
pjallittle

Postby Biologist » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:43 am

"... tingling, slight pain in my left little and ring finger..."
--pjallittle

Exactly. I just have to quicly comment on this. I had forgotten about that. It has been long gone but was the only issue I ever had regarding my hands: tingling in the left hand little finger and ring finger. Must be a common nerve feeding the two fingers that is unusually susceptable for some reason. I have also heard this reported by someone else months ago.

I would suggest taking Acetyl-L-Carnatine and Alpha Lipolic Acid as part of your supplements.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Brian C: I must have missed this element of your history. I was first on 20Mg lipitor; and, until they moved me to Zocor, (like that was a good idea) the acid reflux had me sleeping in a recliner many nights. You CAN expect it to improve. Another suggestion, for a while anyway: (weeks not yrs) drop the carbs in your diet; yes, that means BEER as well as spuds, sugar in your tea, and bread (with or without jam). You'll improve faster and you can go back to a sane British diet once you heal some. It made a BIG difference for me. From my experience, you'll get better w/out this sacrifice, but not as quickly.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Brian C: Follow-up: No, I am not suffering some Rip VanWinkle episode. My last reply to you was in response to the your post of April 20 at the bottom of page 1 (on my PC screen). I neglected to page forward to the most recent post. My advice still stands though.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:32 am

Thanks for the advice Brooks but I have been keeping the carbs down for a long time now, avoiding sugar - and beer is very much a RARE treat for me these days :)

Last night I purposely lay on my right side and fell asleep that way. I must have turned over in my sleep because I had to grab a Rennie an hour or so later.
This is the reverse of the original pattern where I couldn't lay on my right side for more than a few seconds without discomfort but had no problems on my left.

Strange - and disappointing - that the sharp upper arm pain is back this morning but again the reverse of the prior problem since it is now in my left arm.

Interesting voyage of discovery life without statins....

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:06 am

BrianC: Boy, can I commiserate with your last post! My left forearm and elbow used to cause me severe discomfort; now it's my right; it used to be my right shoulder; now it's my left. I think the disturbing element of this phenomenon is that it defies any description of predictable physical response (maybe even the laws of Physics), and dilutes the positive results we may be experiencing thru supplements i.e., I can sleep now, and my hip joints don't stab at me any longer... sometines I forget.

Interesting voyage? I need to keep that in my Statin vocab. A bit euphemistic perhaps, but delightfully, right on the mark!

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:50 am

cjbrooksjc : Interesting voyage? I need to keep that in my Statin vocab. A bit euphemistic perhaps, but delightfully, right on the mark!

I see life as an adventure, continually entering unmapped regions - even if outwardly all seems humdrum and static :)

Brian.
Brian C.

Previous

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)