Is left side numbness related to taking statin drugs?

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Is left side numbness related to taking statin drugs?

Postby silverbead » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:59 am

First, I want to say thank-you, thank-you for this website. Without it I would never have known the things I am suffering are related to statin drugs. I DO NOT have elevated cholesterol levels, but my neurologist feels I am at risk for strokes. Because of this, he put me on 40 mg zocor, 3/23/06.
July 5, 2006 zocor was replaced with Lipitor, 40 mg. In August, 2006, I went to the emergency room with my entire left side numb. It started in my left leg, moved up to include my arm and the left side of my face neck and head. I thought I had had a stroke, but the hospital did not confirm this. They could find no cause and released me several hours later - still numb. This numbness persists to the present in varying degrees, but now my right foot is also numb. Has anyone experienced this? I have read almost all of the forum and did not fnd mention of this.

Other side effects I am suffering are: Severe muscle pain in my legs and back; not able to sleep more than 2 to 3 hours per night, maybe not at all; foggy brain; severe muscle weakness; personality changes including quick to tears and anger; brusing - at times my arms are one large black and blue spot and now brusing on my legs (I take plavix but this increased with lipitor); My hair is falling out; TGA; short-term memory loss.

I have again quit Lipitor. I quit a month ago but my Dr. ordered me back on it. (He is being replaced.) I am now taking Coenzyme Q10, 600 mg /day; L-Carnitine 2000 mg/day; Vit B6 100 mg/day; Vit B12 250 mcg/day; folic acid 800 mg/day; Vit D and Omega 3 capsules. I have also ordred a cholesterol lowering natural blend from an offer on this website.

How long does it take Lipitor to clear my body? Will these things disappear with time? How long will I have to wait? Can I do anything else?
silverbead

Reply for "Silverbead"

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:19 pm

Hi Silverbead & Welcome to the Forum,

One of Dr Graveline's articles lists numbness and other adverse effects associated with statins:
" The unacceptable legacy of statin drug use at today's high doses is a trail of chronic aches and pains, numbness, weakness, confusion, fatigue, shortness of breath and even heart failure in hordes of unsuspecting victims."
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_side_effects.html

And also in this article "Warning Signs of Statins":
" Another complex of symptoms results from neuropathy with ringing in the ears, weakness of extremities, numbness, decreased ability to feel heat or cold and altered sensation anywhere in the body – numbness and tingling of the feet being a common early sign. Lack of sufficient CoQ10 dependant energy reserves results in tiredness, shortness of breath and easy fatigability and congestive heart failure with ankle edema, nocturia, shortness of breath with recumbency and the need for extra pillows for sleep."
http://www.spacedoc.net/warning_signs_statins.htm

You might want to print these articles and take them to your "new" doctor.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby silverbead » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:03 am

Hi Fran,

Thank-you so much for your comments. I have read the articles you suggested and find them very helpful. I am so upset with this. I spent the last year trying to find out answers to another unrelated (maybe???) health issue. Finally have some answers and fall right into this. I am soooo tired of being bullied by the medical profession. I am female and 62 years young. Before this past January, I golfed 18 holes 4 or 5 times a week, worked out at curves 3 times a week, power walked 6 miles going to and from Curves. One Dr. said "no more curves, no more golf, no more any physical activity. Now I am a wreck. This is the same one that put me on statins. I won't be treated as if I am senile, just a n old lady anymore. I wasn't old before March when I started taking statin drugs. When he put me on lipitor, he suggested I take coenzyme Q10. That makes me think he knew all along about the risks involved. I did not have high levels of cholesterol and he still put me on a high dose. I will work my way out of this as far as I can. I pray all of the things I am feeling will, in time, disappear.

Again, I am so grateful for this website. My youngest son is dealing with high cholesterol (my husband, his dad, has high cholesterol ). I allerted him to this forum and asked him to share it with his Dr. At least he is aware of some of the signs and symptoms if he does infact go on a statin drug. I would never have known.

Thanks again for your suggestions

Silverbead
silverbead

Postby innkeeper1000 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:53 am

Silverbead
A couple weeks ago I had trouble going up and down stairs...my muscles just wouldn't do it....I found this website and started taking 150 mg COQ10 daily and I have noticed a BIG difference...not all the way better, but can go up and down stairs. I always walked 2 miles daily until I started the Lipitor....and I was only on 1 a week for about 8 or 9 months and that was a couple years ago.
I'm not a doctor, but it did help me...good luck and keep in touch.. Judy
innkeeper1000

Reply for "Silverbead"

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:56 pm

Hi again Silverbead,

Re: I am female and 62 years young. Before this past January, I golfed 18 holes 4 or 5 times a week, worked out at curves 3 times a week, power walked 6 miles going to and from Curves.

My husband is also 62. He was on statins for 8 years, but is statin free for 2+ years. He used to golf 18 holes three times a week, was very active, loved yard work, etc.

He stopped playing golf because he couldn't remember how many strokes he'd taken. He injured his shoulder earlier this summer (rotator cuff) and it still isn't healed. He's just starting to get muscle strength back, but even post statins, muscle injuries take forever to heal. So right now the only exercise is walking.

The good news is he no longer experiences TGA (transient global amnesia), but does have trouble finding the correct word or forming a sentence. He used to have high blood pressure, but BP is controlled with just CoQ10. He still takes 300mg of CoQ10 daily and no prescription drugs.

Why (if you didn't have high cholesterol, which is another issue all together) did your doctor put you on a high dose of Lipitor?

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby silverbead » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:39 pm

Hi Fran,

Good to hear from you again.

I am sorry to read abut your husband. It is a pit, this muscle weakness and forgetfulness. I am sorry he has had to quit golf. I love it so, I am still playing but not like I used to. After reading all of the stories on this forum, I am grateful I am not in worse shape than I am.

My Dr. put me on statins because he feels I am a risk for strokes. I had several events this past year that resembled strokes, but there was never any cellular damage discovered or any real reason to believe I had had a stroke. I spent a few days in the Mayio Clinic Hospital in Scottsdale, AZ, and the Dr.s there determined it was not stroke at all. They termed it non epileptic seisures. I half way think they came from statins. I guess I will never know. I am taking a medication now and they seem to have stopped. During this, my left side went numb. I think, maybe just wishful thinking, but perhaps I am a little less numb with just the short time I have been off Lipitor and taking Q10 and L-carnitine.

I am angry that my Dr. put me on such a high dose of zocor and then lipitor since I had no real elevated levels of anything. The cure, I think, was not worth the risk.

My best to your husband. I hope he will be out golfing before too long. I know this must be very hard on you to see him this way. I don't want my husband to have to take care of me anymore. This past year has been awful. I want my independance back and all of my physical and mental faculties too.

Thanks again Fran. Hope I did not go on or vent too much. I haver not really discussed this with my husband, I think he does not put too much stock in it. He takes lipitor too, 20 mgs/day. I hope he gets by without any bad side effects. So far so good.

Take care, Silverbead
silverbead

Reply for "Silverbead"

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:20 am

Hi Silverbead,

Thank you for your kind words about my husband. He is improving, it's just a very slow process. AND... This is the perfect place to vent.

Make sure your husband takes some CoQ10 too. The only thing you need to be aware of, is CoQ10 can lower BP. So if either of you are taking BP meds, monitor your BP when starting CoQ10 and when you increase the dose.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby bunnylady » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:18 am

One of the first things that happened to meon Lipitor was that my left two fingers went numb but it did not test out as "real" carpel tunnel- that hand went weak- I have been off lipitor since May and just have numbness in the tip of my two left fingers- the hand is strong and typing well- I also had the huge bruises on my arms and they have disappeared

I am taking my vitamins and Prednisone to alleviate the pain and symptoms- the knee pain and headaches were the worst
bunnylady

Postby tex62 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:45 pm

Bunnylady,

Please see my reply to vipergg22 on the "Neuropathy Continues ..." post on this site http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=13&start=25
tex62

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)