chronic dry eyes

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

chronic dry eyes

Postby teddies100 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:05 pm

Hi, i have been on Lipitor 20mg for 12yrs , during this time i have had periods of dry eyes, but this has now got to a point where i have no tears at all , i rely on a gel to enable my eyes to function at all..

On trawling though "adverse effects" of atorvastatins i came across this as being one of them.. I would so much like to hear from anyone else who has had the same problem as myself, so i can decide what course to take... thanks :roll:
teddies100

dry eyes

Postby me2 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:39 pm

Hi,

You don't say whether you are a man or woman, but if you are a woman, hormonal changes can cause dry eyes. Mine have gotten to the point where I can't wear contact lenses anymore. Menopause/perimenopause can cause this. There are also issues like autoimmune disorders like Sjogrens and problems like blepheritis that can cause dry eyes too.

One thing that was suggested to me was Theratears Nutrition for dry eyes. It has fish oil, flaxseed oil, vitamin E. They help some, but I don't take the whole 3 capsule dose per day I take 2. Warm compresses/lid massages and cleaning the eye lids (talk to the doc about that) might help too. I do find warm compresses do help some, it is just finding the time to do it is a problem.

You might want to make an appointment with an opthamologist to get their opinion. For me going off Lipitor has made no difference at all.

I hope this info is helpful.
Best wishes,
me2
me2

dry eyes

Postby teddies100 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:16 pm

Hi me2,

thankyou for your very interesting reply, i will try to get the Theratears capsules, i live in the u.k. i am female, and on H.R.T. which did help when i first went on it. I also had to give up contact lenses.

I have been seen at the eye dept. at our hospital, and was given no encouragement that it might rectify itself, and was given the advise you gave me, re the lid massage, warm compresses etc, I agree it is finding time to do it , afterwards i always look like i have done a few rounds in a boxing ring (and lost) which is a bit off putting too.

I am now going to look up Sjogrens, nobody has even mentioned that !!

Thankyou again, and best wishes to you

teddies100
teddies100

Postby me2 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:01 am

Hi teddies100,

One thing I should mention about the Theratears capsules is if you are on any kind of blood thinner, you might want to talk to you doctor first. The capsules have a similar, but lesser effect on the blood.

I have heard of other women in the menopause age who have had problems with dry eyes.

One thing I use for warm compresses is I used an clean sock filled with rice and warm it in the microwave for about a minute. It stays warmer longer than a wet wash cloth.

I forgot to mention that there is a medication called Restasis. I don't know if it has the same name in the U.K., but it is supposed to help increase tear production. I am not sure, but I think it maybe for people with Sjogrens.

Best wishes,
me2
me2

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)