lipitor severe body ache

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

lipitor severe body ache

Postby hallcry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:05 pm

My husband is on LIPITOR and has been having severe muscle aches all over his body the doctors gave him oxycodone and vicoprofen but not even that has helped he has been on Lipitor for at least 8 months and I now think after reading all of the posted messages that this could be the problem. He is an insulin dependent diabetic who has been taking 20mg a day and for the last 2 months has not been able to get out of bed hardly at all. He says the pain is so bad he wants to die.
The doctors all think he is drug seeking because he has complained of constant pain. The don't want him to stop the Lipitor because he has CAD. I think he should stop. Also he is on Lyrica for his Diabetic Neuropathy he started it a month and a half ago. Is there any information on its effect when combined with other meds?
hallcry

Re: lipitor severe body ache

Postby sos_group_owner » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:05 am

Hi again "hallcry",

* LIPITOR - severe muscle aches all over his body (not been able to get out of bed)
* oxycodone and vicoprofen - not helped
* insulin dependent diabetic
* They don't want him to stop the Lipitor because he has CAD
* Also he is on Lyrica for his Diabetic Neuropathy

1) When statins (aka Lipitor) causes severe muscle aches, the doctor should order a CK or CPK test. When these enzymes are elevated, that is an indication statins are causing muscle damage. CK/CPK can come back negative, but statins are still causing muscle damage. A muscle biopsy might then be required to prove muscle damage.

2) All statins can cause peripheral neuropathy, a common condition that diabetics already experience.

3) How was it determined your husband has CAD?

4) Type I or II dibetes?

If you and your husband decide to stop his statins, taper off over 3 weeks.
Cut the pills in 1/2
Wk 1: take that 1/2 pill every day
Wk 2: take that 1/2 pill every other day
Wk 3: take that 1/2 pill every third day

For more info:
http://www.spacedoc.net/stopping_statins.html

At the same time, start taking Dr Graveline's "Statin Alternatives":
Buffered Aspirin - 81 mg (contains beneficial magnesium)
CoQ10 - 100 to 150 mg (gelcaps - NOT powdered) with some Vit E
* Folic Acid - 400-800 mcg
* B6 - 80-100mg
* B12 - 200-250mcg
* (all 3 of these B Vitamins control Homocysteine)
Omega 3 (Fish Oil or Cod Liver Oil) - There is no upper limit

For more info:
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Dr Graveline's Statin Alternatives reduce and prevent inflammation, are anti-oxidants, reduce platelet stickiness, control (toxic) homocysteine and have the same anti-inflammatory affect as 20 mg's of Lipitor, without side effects.

"Statin Alternatives" are NOT intended to reduce cholesterol levels. Statins (as do statin alternatives) reduce the type of inflammation that leads to heart attacks and strokes. The fact that statins also reduce cholesterol levels is irrelevant.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby bunnylady » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:33 am

Ain't it great the docs want to save us from certain heart attack while killing us behind our backs with the statins- amazing- never thought it could happen in this country! I will pray for your husband!
bunnylady

This Web site saved my husbands life.

Postby hallcry » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:38 am

THanks for the prayers. We all need them. I have stopped his Statins and started him on the Q-10 and B-12. He is better but is still not like he was before the drug. The doctor told me not to stop them but I did anyway I figure him lying in the bed unable to do hardly anything is worse for his heart than me stopping the Lipitor. They say he needs to exercise yet the Meds he is on he hurts to bad to get up backasswards if you ask me.
I am so thankful for this web page because if I hadn't found it I feel for sure he would have died and I also am afraid of how many people have already died that was attributed to other things but was really these drugs.
hallcry

Postby Darrell » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:50 pm

When I had serious muscle aches after stopping my statin, normal daily activity was too much exercise. An hour of normal daily activity typically required three hours of rest to avoid turning aches into debilitating pain. IF the aches are caused by the buildup of wastes within the muscle cells due to impaired waste excretion, then exercise and ache will lead to more problems, not less. Excessive wastes can do further cell damage. I can't believe that exercise is a good thing if it is intensifying the aches.
Darrell

Severe muscle pains related to Lipitor....

Postby Joanne Mueller » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:52 pm

Dear Hallcry: I have been an EMF researcher for over 15 years and made an earlier post somewhere on the thread "Statins."

My husband, Bud, took Lipitor for many years. He has been diagnosed with Alzheimers although he has no pathology to explain his profound memory loss. He also suffered with bad leg pains but his were primarily when he walked. He did have lots of cramps at night tho.

Be certain your husband doesn't have any electrical appliances close to the bed -- on nightstand/headboard -- especially any sort of electric clock, clock radio, monitor, air-purifier, power supply box for cordless phone, electric meter on outside wall of house next to bed, small fan close to his head, cell phone charger, etc. This is not a complete list.....

I moved Bud's clock radio off his nightstand and he improved on his next neuropsych test. It now appears that his memory problems are most likely permanent -- they remain at the "improved level."

Since stopping the statins, 10 mg. Lipitor for years with Mevacor a couple years prior, his liver test indicates that is normalizing. He no longer has leg pains BUT we have been taking all of the supplements Doc recommends plus many more. We both take Melatonin before bed -- 3 of the 3 mg. capsules or tablets (solves lots of problems re Alzheimers and we both sleep great). I always recommend persons read Dr. Russell Reiter's book, "Melatonin" as the other books re the very important antioxidant quote Reiter.

I have added nighttime magnesium (in addition to his morning dose) and also give Bud 100 mgs of Co-Q-10 at night along with other supplements and the Melatonin. He also takes Omega 3 fish oil before bed and two capsules in the morning (fights inflammation as you already know).....

Hopefully your husband's pain level will soon decrease and allow him to live as normal a life a is possible "post-statins!!!" Take care!!! Joanne
Joanne Mueller

Muscle aches

Postby weezie49 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:22 pm

I have been on 10 mg. of lipitor for five years. Slowly over the last year I have noticed tightness and soreness in my leg muscles. When I injure a muscle it took so long to get back use and still would remain sore. Lately I have had soreness in the small of my back radiating around both hips. After reading Dr. Graveline's book on statins I took myself off lipitor. It has only been two weeks and I see a difference already. Still have pain in the back and hips but overall the legs feel so much better. I had found it difficult to go for walks while taking lipitor but now walking is enjoyable . I am a very active hiker, biker, etc. and am enjoying theses activities once again.
weezie49

Postby Ray Holder » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:29 am

Dear Hallcry

I see that your husband is not taking any carnitine yet. If his muscle problems are continuing, then I feel he should try some, it could also help prevent heart weakness from the inability to use fat for heart energy production, a fact of great importance of diabetics who are dependant on fat to fuel most, if not all, of their heart action. If you look up postings by me or by Darrell, you will see dose recommendations, or put carnitine into the google site search box at the bottom of the main page.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Ray Holder » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:55 pm

I should have warned to watch sugar levels when taking Q10, but as he is on insulin I thought his own insulin production is no more, but Q10 might possibly stimulate some more output, so keep a good watch to avoid a drop in the level.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Cat Mom2 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:39 am

Joanne : [i]Be certain your husband doesn't have any electrical appliances close to the bed -- on nightstand/headboard -- especially any sort of electric clock, clock radio, monitor, air-purifier, power supply box for cordless phone, electric meter on outside wall of house next to bed, small fan close to his head, cell phone charger, etc. This is not a complete list..... [/i]

I did not realize until recently that my outside power box was outside my bedroom window only about 2 feet from the head of my bed and has been for the last 5 years.. I moved it now to the other side, as far away as I can get it. Thanks.

hallcry... Those doctors do not understand PAIN so we have to pay the price for their lack of education. It don't show up on a X-ray, they can't see it on the skin or the X-ray so therefore, it does not exsist and you are a druggie looking for drugs. What the doctor SHOULD know is pain killer "A" does not work on everyone and neither does pain killer "B".. They have to keep changing it until they find one that works for HIS body. Some people have to try 2, 3, 4 different kinds before they find one that works for them. In the meantime, why not find the root of the cause of the pain and treat that? They should be looking for the cause of his pain and if they did, he probably wouldn't need pain meds...
Cat Mom2

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)