lipitor & poor sleep at night

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

lipitor & poor sleep at night

Postby Kenny » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:08 pm

I have been taking lipitor for last years and am on 10mg. I always slept very well at night but in in last 2 years wake up most nights for about 30 mins - 1 hr. My sleep certainly has disimproved and is affecting me during the day now as I feel very tired. I exercise regularly and find no difficulty going to sleep, just waking up during the night is the problem. Does anyone suffer with this and could it be related to taking lipitor.
Kenny

Postby harley2ride » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:12 am

I'm betting you will find that nearly all statin injury folks have the same complaint. I've been on daily sleeping meds. for 2 1/2 years now. I can stay up for days, if I miss taking my meds....
harley2ride

Reply for "Kenny"

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:24 am

Hi Kenny,

My husband would wake up at 3AM, turn on the TV for an hour or so
(usually long enough for me to awaken)... then he would finally fall
into a very deep sleep. I would finally get back to sleep before the birds
started chirping. I never associated this with Lipitor, but he stopped
all statins 2 years ago, and now sleeps like a baby "all night long".

Fran
sos_group_owner

poor sleep at night

Postby hallcry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:13 pm

I never figured about the poor sleep at night I thought my husband was just waking up because of the muscle pain and was contributing it to his diabetic neuropathy. but he is on ambien and still wakes up about 3 in the morning. I am glad to be able to put all of these symptoms together thanks for this web forum
hallcry

Reply for "hallcry"

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:11 pm

Hi HallCry & Welcome to the Forum,

There is a theory (not published) that sleep disturbances are actually an early warning sign that someone is experiencing adverse effects (AE's) from statins, primarily neurological and cognitive AE's.

I've read numerous anecdotal emails (reports) of sleep pattern disruption with those taking statins.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby harley2ride » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:25 am

I also tried Ambian, and it would put me to sleep, only to awaken again a few hours later. My doctor finally put me on Restoral, and for awhile I slept through the night, but was having occassional problems, so he added Zanaflex, and between the two of them, I sleep through the night, a majority of the time.
harley2ride

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)