New to Lipitor - getting worried

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

New to Lipitor - getting worried

Postby AJ » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:27 pm

I am 34 asian female, thin built (no i know this is not a match . com) :lol: I eat healthier than most people and fairly active. I have never imagined that I'd have high-cholesterol until nov last year when I had my routine blood test. My total was 277, HDL 77, LDL 179.

I called my parents back home and found out both of them also have high-chol and being treated. My mom's was over 300 at one point. So my doctor put me on Vanachol for 6 months. I took it for 2 months but because the insurance didn't cover it, I decided to try alternatives. I ate even healthier (oats, low fat milk, more veggies, fish and all grain etc) and took vitamins, fish oil and niacin here and there.

On my last blood test, my total chol was 285 and LDL was 185. HDL was about the same. My doctor said that the insurance would cover Lipitor and that would be more effective. I heard about the side effects so I wasn't too happy about it but I took the prescription with me anyway. I asked if I could wait on my treatment till I turn 40. She said if I waited another 5-6 years, I could have more built-up in my veins. She was also certain it was hereditely as changing diet did nothing in the past 6 months. She also told me to get coQ10.

I started on Lipitor 4 days ago, didn't take coQ10. I asked the doctor and pharmacist about it and they couldn't give me straight answer so I didn't really understand what it was for. (I did a research today and now I understand what it's for so I will start taking tonight)

When I got up this morning, I felt tired, nauscious, stiff neck, headache. I never miss breakfast so I knew I was sick when I couldn't eat this morning. I don't know if it's got anything to do with Lipitor. I could be being paranoid. I felt like I have a stone in my stomach all day. If it is from Lipitor, why didn't I feel sick the first night?

Today I read many of the posts on this board and I am really scared. I wonder if I should go back to Vanachol even thought the insurance wouldnt' cover... I don't think I could eat any healthier than I do now. What are my other options? I appreciate any input. Thank you.
Last edited by AJ on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ

Postby Esmeralda » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:01 pm

AJ:

If I were you, I would review this message board forum to find statin drug alternatives. Look for "sos group owner", and read her posts. She repeatedly lists Dr. Graveline's recommendations for statin alternatives.

I would also read Dr. Graveline' book listed above.

Then I would run, not walk, away from Lipitor.
Esmeralda

Postby CatMom » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:58 am

For each person, the side effects take different times to show up. Mine took about a month after each dosage was upped on me. From what I have read here and on other boards, it sometimes can take years for the effects to start, sometimes they are immediate. I was on it 5 to 6 years and just got off of it once I connected all the dots of what had been happening to me to the Lipitor.

I'd say if you are having side effects already to get off of it before you do permant damage. I only wish I had known sooner.
CatMom

Postby Darrell » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:23 pm

AJ, if you have the problems for more than a day, consider weaning off the Lipitor by taking half pills for a few days and then none. If the problems go away, you can restart the Lipitor again later and see if the problems reappear. Asians have a higher rate of problems with at least one statin (Crestor). Also note the Lipitor patient information sheet warnings regarding pregnancy.
Darrell

Postby jimod » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi AJ
read the following web page

ww.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2004/03/18/lipitor_side_effects_and_natural_remedy.htm

It insists high colesterol is not a danger and is only a fear sponsored by drug companies.

I was on Lipitor for two years and suffer from memory loss and loss of concentration. I have given it up completely since 28 June 2006 and have noticed an improvement in my performance at work already.

Give it up. Who wants to be stupid.
jimod

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)