Lipitor plus polycosanol

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Lipitor plus polycosanol

Postby mikeone » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:39 pm

Is there any information about combining Lipitor with polycpsanol, then gradually weaning off the Lipitor and later adding niacin (which I believe should not be combined with Lipitor)?

I have no side effects that I am aware of from Lipitor, 20mg, that I have been on for several years. At first my cholesterol and LDL levels plunged, but they have gradually been creeping back up into the high range: 265 and 168 respectively. Since Lipitor doesn't seem to work for me, I figure why subject myself to the potential damage it can do?

Incidentally, I have recently been experiencing lower back and pelvic pain, something I never had before. I don't know if they're related or not but it must be inflammatory since several ibuprofen tabs temporarily fixes it. In any case, as I said, if Lipitor doesn't help, why chance it.

Should I tell my doc of my plans, or just go ahead and substitute polycosanol plus niacin and perhaps garlic supplements. I have a blood test due in about two months, which should show if this is a good idea or not. However, I also believe that quitting Lipitor then restarting it if that becomes necessary increases the risk of side effects. So I'm sort of in a quandry here.
mikeone

Reply for "mikeone"

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:54 pm

Hi Mike One,

The problem is not elevated cholesterol, it's inflammation.
Please read these articles by Dr Graveline...

"Statin Alternatives": Controls "inflammation" and not designed
to lower cholesterol, because "cholesterol is NOT the problem"
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Stopping Statins:
http://www.spacedoc.net/stopping_statins.html

You are correct, stopping and restarting the same statin or
a different statin does increase the risk for more severe side
effects from statins.

Statins cause CoQ10 deficiency and some don't feel adverse effects
for a long time, then little by little they start noticing various
aches & pains, short term memory loss, etc.

Statins and CoQ10 Deficiency:
http://www.spacedoc.net/statins_CoQ10.htm

Fran
sos_group_owner

Combining Lipitor with Policosanol

Postby mikeone » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there any info on combining 20 mg Lipitor with 20 mg Policosanol while tapering off the former and adding the anti-inflammitory supplements Dr. Graveline recommends? The side effects of the statin for me are complete loss of libido, lack of motivation and drive, and loss of interest in things that used to engage me. My doctor is a big believer in Lipitor and will probably want me on 40 mg next time I see him if my cholesterol and LDL levels haven't come back down, (I've always had HDL in the 70s which is good) but I anticipate a hard sell!

Also, are there some people that simply don't respond to statins--at least in the numbers my doc is looking for and discounting the effects of inflammation?
mikeone

coming back after Lipitor

Postby bunnylady » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:55 pm

Mike- I'm not Fran and don't have her knowledge, but I took myself off Lipitor and 4 weeks later was given Crestor and was told its the mildest statin(not true) and charged money for a stack of samples the doc gave- didn't take them for a week but his voice kept coming to me where he said my cholesterol skyrocked after coming off Lipitor (which is normal but didn't know it then) so I took 3 days worth of Crestor and the side effects hit me with a venegence- I have gone nowhere and slept my life away for the last 3 weeks- taking all of the vitamins recommended on this website- then I added a supplement of HGH (human growth hormone) by Gen F 20- the add popped up while surfing this website- it has given me a new lease on life- I did 3 loads of laundry, washed my carpet, cleaned my closets and tilled a flower bed in one day- hurting a little today but it was truly amazing- I used to be able to do all that every day but not lately- change doctors- I am- if I have to go thru 10 of them to find one that will not push samples in my hand then charge me for them, I will!

they have to get kickbacks- I'm 99.9% positive they do because of the way they act- they act like they didn't hear you- they diagnose you as having sleep apnea instead of admitting their little baby is making you sick!

Patty
bunnylady

Postby thib » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:28 am

I had a burst of energy when I stopped Lipitor and I haven't felt this good in 2 years. That's how long I had been on Lipitor. My brother, age 52, has severe heart disease and the Dr. told him it was his undiagnosed thyroid condition. I wonder how many people with high cholestrol may have an undiagnosed thryoid problem?
thib

Reply for "thib"

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:08 pm

Re: I wonder how many people with high cholestrol may have an undiagnosed thryoid problem?

LOTS...
According to (dated statistics) on this website, an estimated 13 million Americans have thyroid disorders, and more than half of them remain undiagnosed (American Medical Women's Association, 1999).
fcs.tamu.edu/health/health_education_rural_outreach/Health_Hints/2003/june/thyroid_disorders.php

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)