A few questions and a bit about me...

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

A few questions and a bit about me...

Postby Porkchop » Sat May 20, 2006 11:34 am

Hello, I am new to this forum, I recently found out I have diabetes type 2, I was quickly put on Lipitor 10 mg a day and told I had to be on it because I have diabetes as well as high cholesterol, I did not think my cho was all that bad however the doctor insisted and scared me into thinking I needed the Lipitor,

My reading at the time I was put on Lipitor was as follows - Cholesterol count was 181 - LDL was 109 - HDL was 32 Triglyceride was 198,.. Are my readings that bad that I really needed to be on Lipitor??? is the question I have, also does Lipitor really help woman???

I am 40 yrs old and feel I am to young to be on this type of med, However my doctor said it was nessessary due to being diabetic, I am seriously after finding this site thinking I should stop takeing it, I have noticed that since takeing Lipitor simple things like pulling the plug to my blow dryer is a bit of a effort and I have pull at it a few times to get it out of the socket, as before Lipitor I had no prob grabbing it and pulling it out, Even something as simple as picking up a gallon of milk weighs heavy on my arms it feels as though I have become weak lately, I have been on Lipitor for a lil over 2 months now, I go back for a 3 month bloodwork check in june to see how I am doing, I would appreciate any feedback I can get pertaining to my Cho levels listed above... Thank you...
Porkchop

Lipitor/weakness

Postby thib » Sun May 21, 2006 6:34 am

I have noticed the same weaknesses where there were no weaknesses before just 5 mg. of lipitor. I stopped the lipitor and within a week I am feeling much better. i.e. more energy and stamina. I am hoping for continued improvement in sleep. I am very disappointed that my Dr. did not make the connection between my "aging" and the start of medication. I am 55 years old and was running before lipitor, within a month of starting I could not run because I was out of breath. My husband takes Zocor and has vivid dreams that are anxiety ridden. Has anyone experienced the insominia and how long does it take to reverse itself once the med is stopped?
thib

Postby Porkchop » Tue May 30, 2006 7:31 pm

I am suprised that 68 people have looked at this, yet no one can give me a few answers to my questions, If people dont speak up how are we suppose to learn or even get ahead, I am still hopeful someone out there can give me a response to my questions...
Porkchop

Feedback

Postby Darrell » Tue May 30, 2006 7:58 pm

"I have noticed that since takeing Lipitor simple things like pulling the plug to my blow dryer is a bit of a effort and I have pull at it a few times to get it out of the socket, as before Lipitor I had no prob grabbing it and pulling it out, Even something as simple as picking up a gallon of milk weighs heavy on my arms it feels as though I have become weak lately"
Doesn't sound like something I'd want to progress even further, no matter what my cholesterol level was. So your arm and hand muscles are getting weak -- how are your heart muscles?

I had total cholesterol readings around 230-240 that were knocked down to around 170 with Zocor, but the Zocor almost ruined my life at age 50. I'm not going to ruin my life or end it prematurely just to keep my cholesterol numbers down.
Darrell

Postby Porkchop » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:51 am

I stopped takeing the Lipitor 2 weeks ago, I do feel better and my strength seems to be comeing back in my arms, I ride bike 2 miles a day as well as walk 1 1/2 miles a day, I have found since stopping the lipitor my weakness and sore legs have improved and my being out of breath has improved, I think my heart is ok, I also decided my chol was not worth the problems associated with Lipitor, I also found some info on the web that there have been no studies that prove woman even gain anything by being on a statin, Its sad that doctors are given bonuses from the Pharma companies to put ppl on these drugs...
Porkchop

Statins and diabetes

Postby Ray Holder » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:59 am

Dear Porkchop
I was one of the 68 who had read your posting, but felt I had not sufficient knowledge to interfere, but as you have now stopped the statin, I thought I might make some contribution.
To save a lot of space, please see my paper at www.spacedoc.net/r_holder.html which is rather a lot to wade through, but will give you an idea of the mechanisms involved, with some thoughts about diabetes at the end
It appears that diabetics are at a slightly greater risk of heart problems than the rest of us, so doctors are told to throw the "wonder drug statin" at the problem, but I have never seen the type of heart problem explained. I suggest that diabetes is caused partly by the natural fall in Q10 levels as years go by, all sorts of things being affected, including the heart which is weakened very slowly as well, but that is happening to all of us. Now it is possible that the glucose/insulin energy system is below par, and some Q10 would probably help here in two ways, but you must keep a close watch on your blood sugar level as it could improve and require an adjustment to your diet.
If that assumption is true, then your heart could become more dependent on fat for energy, needing more carnitine to enable its use, so a little carnitine might help to ward off any weakness from that cause
The statin was supposed to protect from heart attack due to artery blockage, but that seems to be only a side effect of that dangerous drug, and it is more likely that the prevention of homocysteine by other means is appropriate, see The McCully Heart protection diet, using at least folic acid and vitamins B6 and B12 . At the very least, these are natural healthy substances, not at all likely to caused problems, but to prevent others.

I hope that helps, but I feel there is a lot yet to be learned about metabolism.
Ray Holder

Reply to Porkchop

Postby thib » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:06 pm

I can't speak for all those who read this message board but I am hesitant to comment on other peoples situations. I am unsure as to the "truth". I know I feel so much better without the Lipitor and personally I am willing to take the chance that I am correct to listen to my body. I can find lots of information to support arguments for and against the use of statins. However, I do not KNOW if I have made the RIGHT medical decision.
thib

Cholestrol readings

Postby thib » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:12 pm

My opinion, for what it's worth...LDL to high, HDL too low, Trig. to high. What worked for me was- more exercise, less refined food. I kept my cholestrol in check for years with diet and exercise but since I have passed 50 it has been going up, but still is well balanced even thought it's higher than the Dr. would like.
thib

Reply for "Porkchop"

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:14 pm

* I recently found out I have diabetes type 2
* Lipitor 10 mg a day (diabetes as well as high cholesterol)
* TC 181
* LDL - 109
* HDL - 32
* Triglyceride - 198 (1/5th of this number is added to obtain TC)
* Does Lipitor really help woman (40 yrs old)???

Hello Porkchop & Welcome to the Forum,

Type 2 diabetes and elevated triglycerides and two indications that you are probably consuming a high carbohydrate diet. The biggest offender causing both is "sugar". Most people feel that if something says "no fat" or "low fat" that it is a good food choice. The problem is that most of those foods are loaded with sugar. The "white" foods are the primary cause of high triglycerides and elevated blood sugar levels. White foods: flour, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. These foods should be replaced with whole grains. Example: Sweet potatoes are a better choice than white potatoes. It's all based on the glycemic index.

Cinnamon, the spice isle variety (C. cassia), helps to lower triglycerides and control blood sugar levels. Cinnamon is available in 500mg capsules. Take one or two capsules daily in addition to eliminating or cutting way back on the white foods.

Low HDL is a result of the "low fat - no fat" diet. We need fat. Good saturated fat will raise HDL levels. Good sources of saturated are coconut oil and butter.

Re: Does Lipitor really help woman (40 yrs old)???
The answer is NO, but please read Dr Graveline's article, "Women and Statins":
http://www.spacedoc.net/women_statins.htm

Another valuable article is, "Statin Alternatives":
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Dr Graveline's homepage contains all of his "topic Specific" articles:
http://www.spacedoc.net/

Page down to: "Cardiovascular Disease and Heart Health"
You would benefit by reading all 12 articles as they will give you a better understanding of heart health and things our doctors are not telling us.

Fran
sos_group_owner

I don't trust doctors anymore-

Postby bunnylady » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:26 am

Do doctors really get a bonus for pushing this stuff- I get the distinct feeling from my doctor that he was trying to sell me something- like a car salesman- he lied to me- outright lied- how's that for the medical oath they take! Shame on them-

If I was still a working girl I could not work like I am now- I hope when they reach their 50's they get the same treatment by someone

what goes around comes around! :twisted:

I can't even carry my 12lb grandson in his carrier!! That's sad
bunnylady

Saturated vs monounsaturated fats

Postby me2 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi,

I am sorry, but when I read this I felt the following I needed to comment. I don't mean to offend anyone.
[i]Low HDL is a result of the "low fat - no fat" diet. We need fat. Good saturated fat will raise HDL levels. Good sources of saturated are coconut oil and butter. [/i]

Exercise and intake of monounsaturated fats should help increase HDL. Monounsaturated fats like olive oil, canola oil would be good choices. Please see this link to the American Heart association for more information.
ww.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=532
I agree that coconut oil and butter are sources of saturated fat, but that is the kind of fat we should avoid. That is the kind that raises LDL cholesterol levels.

Best wishes,
me2
me2

Re: Saturated vs monounsaturated fats

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:57 pm

Hi "me2",

The AHA probably does state that saturated fat raises LDL. AHA also recommends or discusses the various ways to lower cholesterol, especially LDL cholesterol. Elevated LDL (as the causation of heart disease) is the typical mantra and the reason most are prescribed statins.

The problem is not elevated LDL cholesterol, it's when LDL becomes "oxidized". Excerpt from an article by Dr Malcolm Kendrick: LDL (Oxidised LDL)

" This is a complex pathway. When platelets start to stick together, they release free radicals. "Free radicals" oxidise LDL. Oxidised LDL is a powerful blood clotting factor. LDL is also incorporated into the blood clot as it forms, and provides a `lipid' surface (along with VLDL) for the construction of fibrin. Fibrin is the hugely strong protein strand that binds a clot together and makes it `tough.' "

When you get a chance, read the complete article titled, "Is Heart Disease All Due to Blood Clots?"
ww.thincs.org/Malcolm.htm#clots :roll:
Things that create "free radicals" and oxidized LDL... Smoking, high blood sugar levels (diabetes), stress... Risk factors that damage the "endothelium" include elevated levels of homocysteine, blood sugar, insulin, cortisol (stress hormones), triglycerides, smoking and deficiency in some vitamins, such as C and the B's.

Excellent article about "lipoproteins": ww.thincs.org/Malcolm.htm#lipoprotein

Excellent article about "fats"... "The Skinny on Fats" by Mary Enig, PhD:
ww.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html

Hope you find this info useful. Sorry but I'd don't rely on AHA for my source of information.

Fran
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[quote="me2"]Hi,

I am sorry, but when I read this I felt the following I needed to comment. I don't mean to offend anyone.
[i]Low HDL is a result of the "low fat - no fat" diet. We need fat. Good saturated fat will raise HDL levels. Good sources of saturated are coconut oil and butter. [/i]

Exercise and intake of monounsaturated fats should help increase HDL. Monounsaturated fats like olive oil, canola oil would be good choices. Please see this link to the American Heart association for more information.
ww.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=532
I agree that coconut oil and butter are sources of saturated fat, but that is the kind of fat we should avoid. That is the kind that raises LDL cholesterol levels.

Best wishes,
me2[/quote]
sos_group_owner

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)