Side effects of Lipitor

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Side effects of Lipitor

Postby queenphoton » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:10 pm

I have a post under Statins also, I'm new to this forum so please forgive if I'm repeating.
My mother (79yrs) has been taking Lipitor for 3yrs. Her cholestoral was normal except for total of 279. So Lipitor was given and that is all she was taking. In other words, Healthy person.
She has had prior hip and knee replacements. Over the past 3 years she has been wors in movement and pain in her hips and knees. Dr said arthritis, (no x-rays to prove) Then we notice and loss of memory and confusion. Dr. said age related dementia. She started failing really quick. It got to the point where she wouldn't leave the bed on Friday morning. I took her to the ER on Sunday morning and she was unable to walk and had no clue what was going on.
Lipitor was then discontinued due to muscle/joint pain. She has already improved.
My question, we have noticed an improvement in memory, do you feel she will gain her memory back or does this cause permenant damage? She already has gained movement back and can at least walk now.
I argued with her Dr. about the memory loss/confusion that this is a common side effect but not well known, am I correct on this thinking?
Thanks
queenphoton

statin induced memory loss

Postby spacedoc » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:42 am

You are entirely correct. The short term memory loss is very commonly reported as a statin side effect. See my paper on this subject - Short term memory loss - treatment aspects.

http://www.spacedoc.net/short_term_memory_loss.html

Spacedoc
spacedoc

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)