Anyone else have a brain biopsy here?

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Anyone else have a brain biopsy here?

Postby crandreww » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:19 pm

| was a very healthy 29 year old Male nurse with elevated cholesterol since I was 21 years old. My dad had multiple bypass surgery at 58 years of age, when I told my doctor, I better get serious about my cholesterol, and he put me on Lipitor 10 mg every day. Never really had any muscle problems, pretty frequent headaches though, but remained pretty healthy otherwise, worling as a critical care RN since age 23, and then in October 2002, I had the most wicked headaches ever, which led me to multiple Emergency room visits, only to be dismissed as a Migraine sufferer, I pleaded with the emergency room MD to get an MRI, but they said they would get a CT scan, against my better judgement. WHich showed nothing, I was discharged from the ER, and I went home, and callec my Primary care MD, and requested he get an MRI, which he agreed to, and it showed multiple scattered lesions in my brain, and he said it appeared to be MS, well after several days of gerring significantly worse, I went to the University Of Wisconsin hospital in Madison, where I was admitted with confusion disorientation, ataxia etc, and I was admitted for 28 days and underwent $300,000 dollars of medical care, tests, which included brian and muscle biopsies, which both showed fairly grave diagnosises, as the Brain Biopsy showed NV Creutzfield Jakob Disease, or human variant Mad Cow disease., and the Muscle Biopsy which was sonsistent with Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy with Lactic Acidosis and Stroke Like episodes, MELAS for short. I have been on disability since that time, Kind of hard to take for a a then 34 year old man with a 3 year old boy at home. I was about 7 days away from being discharged to a nursing home, when I finally was starting to come around a bit, and was able to be disharged home with a diagnosis of viral encephalitis. My A*&. If it were a virus, id have been better within a year, my legs hurt all the time, I am so chronically exhausted all the time, my right ear is constantly ringing, and he tells me know it is a post viral condition known as Acute Disseminating Encelhalomyopathy ADEM.
I had done so much research since them all correlating it to Lipitor, which Pfizer I am sure has attorneys on their staff that will fight tooth an nail against these accusations. Anyone else have this sort of problem?

I do know now, that my sholesterol is mear normal only taking Red Yeast Rice, Policosanol, Niacin, and a large dose of Vitamin C.
crandreww

Postby Cindy54NC » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:21 am

Red Yeast Rice is essentially a natural statin. If you stop that you just might improve faster.

I'm not really surprised about what happened to you. I belong to a Yahoo group Stopped Our Statins and it's loaded with posts from people going thru some major testing for various symptoms....and having the docs dismiss their symptoms as not being caused by statins. Some have been told they have MS, others Myasthenia gravis. I also read a post (on another forum) from a man who was diagnosed with Alzheimers, which cleared completely when he finally stopped the statins.

Among other things, I had memory issues, which cleared quickly and muscle issues, which continue over 2yrs after stopping Lipitor. My doc ignored all my complaints and literally laughed when I said they were caused by the statin.

Are you taking CoQ10? other supplements? CoQ10 is especially important.

Hope things get better for you soon!

Cindy
Cindy54NC

Postby crandreww » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:24 am

Cindy, thank you so much for your reply. I am taking CoQ10 150 md twice daily among 15 other vitamins and minerals. I was started on this shen I was in the hospital more than 3 years ago, and it is called a Mitochondrial Cocktail, and was first started on it when about a week before I was to be discharged to a nursing home. My brother had done a lot of research when I was in the hospital and he strongly suspected it was Lipitor, but I bieng a faithful medical professional said no way could it be that, until I was restarted on it 2 months after biend discharged and I was approached by several friends and family members who informed me that I was not improving since I restarted the lipitor, and thats when I hit the internet hard, and found out the truth. Thanks so much for your input and help, please forward me any links you think I would find helpful I appreciate any information you could send! Happy April fools day and God bless!
Chris Wunsch
crandreww

Reply for Chris

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:23 am

Hi Chris,

Dr Graveline's articles are "topic specific" and most are about one page
in length. There is a wealth of info in his articles.

Dr Graveline's homepage: http://www.spacedoc.net/
Also, subscribe to his monthly newsletter.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)