Vitamin B12

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Vitamin B12

Postby Groovy Granny » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:35 pm

I just bought Vitamin B12 today and have just noticed that these pills are 500 mcg--how do these differ from 500 mg? I guess this must be a dumb question, but I'm afraid of taking the wrong dosage. Would sure appreciate a reply. Many thanks.

Mary Earl, Toronto.
Groovy Granny

Postby mousa » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:22 pm

Dear Mary,
No question is ever dumb.
1gm = 1000mg
1mg = 1000mcg

A dose in mgs will have a thousand times more medicine than a dose in mcg.

If I may ask --- are you taking Vit B12 because your doctor thinks you should?

I had my Vit B12 level done recently and was astonished to see that my result was 1235 pg/ml and the normal range at the hospital lab I use - (different labs in different countries might have different measurments) is 240 -900.

If anyone would like to comment on my vitB12 levels I would be happy to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Val
mousa

Vitamin B12

Postby Groovy Granny » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi Val: Thanks for your reply. I recently came off Lipitor after about six years on 80 mg and am taking the Lipitor alternatives recommended on this site. Can't ask my doctor anything because she is annoyed that I have stopped taking Lipitor. When I described the pains I was having in my legs (I could hardly walk), she said it was because I have been using my legs for so long! (I am 77). She will not admit that Lipitor can cause problems.

So it looks like I will have to get a new doctor, but I am at a loss to know where I can find one that knows about Lipitor side effects.

Cheers,
Mary Earl, Toronto.
Groovy Granny

Postby mousa » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:42 pm

Dear Mary,

Please keep in touch with us to let us know how you progress. 80mgs! I was only ever on 5mgs.

I wouldn't have liked such a reply from a doctor either. When I was a student nurse we had a wonderful geriatric doctor and no way would he have said such a thing.

And don't worry - you will find the right doctor. Ask your Guardian Angel (we all have one) to direct you. Let me know about that too!

Love,

Val.
mousa

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)