Recourse to Lipitor Pain

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Recourse to Lipitor Pain

Postby leebill » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:33 pm

I seem to have all of the symptoms related to Lipitor. Have been off Lipitor for 9 months and have now much leg pain
which is down from screaming and crying leg pain.
I will be brief. Is there any recourse physical or legal? Naturally, getting rid of the pain is first. However, there should
be some recourse for legal action for the suffering endured by taking this drug.

Would appreciate suggestions for removing/reducing leg pain, rash, hair loss and other know or unknown symptoms.

Any suggestions for either of the above will be appreciated.
leebill

Reply for "leebill"

Postby sos_group_owner » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:49 pm

Hi Leebill,

The first course of action is to stop the offending statin drug which you
have already done. When pain does not subside, you should start taking
CoQ10 and as much as it takes to get relief.

The only side effect that I am aware of is that CoQ10 can lower BP.
If you are taking BP meds you will want to monitor your BP as you
increase CoQ10's dose.

Start with 100 mg and keep increasing until your legs feel like legs
again. CoQ10 should be in gelcaps (liquid vs powder), containing some
vitamin E or take with vitamin E.

Please read these articles written by Dr Graveline:

"Statins and CoQ10 Deficiency"
(AKA - Coenzyme Q10 - Q10 Co-enzyme Q10 – Ubiquinone)
http://www.spacedoc.net/statins_CoQ10.htm

"Muscle Pain and Statins"
http://www.spacedoc.net/muscle_pain_statins.htm

"Statin Alternatives"
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

This is a quick synopsis of Dr Graveline's recommendations...
Statin alternative(s) to reduce/prevent inflammation:
(IE: anti-oxidant, reduce platelet stickiness, controls homocysteine)
1) buffered aspirin - 81 mg
2) CoQ10 - 100 to 150 mg
3) folic acid - 400-800 mcg
B6 - 80-100mg
B12 - 200-250mcg
4) Omega 3 (fish oil or cod liver oil) [ There is no upper limit.]

These four items/categories have the same anti-inflammatory affect as
20 mg's of Lipitor, without side effects.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby leebill » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:20 pm

Thanks Fran.

Have been using COq10 but not in that amount. Have been taking 100 to 200 mg per day and I can tell by your response that is not enough. Also have not been taking the gel form.

Will give this a try. Really appreciate your time and answer.

Sincerely,

leebill
leebill

Re: Recourse to Lipitor Pain

Postby harley2ride » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:16 pm

[quote="leebill"]I seem to have all of the symptoms related to Lipitor. Have been off Lipitor for 9 months and have now much leg pain
I will be brief. Is there any recourse physical or legal? Naturally, getting rid of the pain is first. However, there should
be some recourse for legal action for the suffering endured by taking this drug.

Would appreciate suggestions for removing/reducing leg pain, rash, hair loss and other know or unknown symptoms.

Any suggestions for either of the above will be appreciated.[/quote]

Wish you the best of luck. I was only on statins for 30 days, and 2 yrs later, I continue to worsen. COQ10 does help for some. For me it just slows it down. I've tried numerous therapies. You can and should try legal action, but first you would have to find a doctor who will state with certainty that your injuries are statin induced. Then you have to find an attorney to take it. I looked for over a year, and contacted literally hundreds of attorneys. The basic answer was "Yes you have a case, but I'm not sure we can handle it." And the other answer was, "When you have verifiable Rabdomyoloysis, please come see us." Seems like the drug companies are right up there with the IRS. They can do whatever they want, and nobody dares challange them. As I continue to worsen, I've told my wife that she is to do everything possible to get those bastards after this kills me.
harley2ride

Re: Recourse to Lipitor Pain

Postby crandreww » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:28 pm

All I can say is stop taking the Lipitor!
Start taking CoEnzyme Q10, also called Ubiquinone. I take 120 mg 2x daily. It is known that statins inhibit the bodys ability to produce this essential nutriene, which is a neccessary component to every cell in the human body.
I am a now 37 year old man who started lipitor in 1998 following my fathers multiple bypass surgery. I became very very ill and spent 28 days inpatient at the University Of Wisconsin Madison Hospital and was 8 days away from bieng discharged to a nursing home, with a very peculiar Neurological illness. After more than $300,000 worth of medical care, my doctor came up with the brilliant diagnosis of Viral Encephalitis, when My brain Biopsy revealed many holes in my brain tissue, which was diagnostic of new variant creutzfield jakob disease, an invariably fatal disease, also known as Mad Cow Disease. I had enrolled in the UCSD Statin study which is not funded by the Pharmaceautical industry.
I would suggest taking as well, Niacin 500mg 2x daily,Red Yeast rice 600mg 2x/day, Policosanol 2x/day and Omega 3 fatty acids, also known as fish oil. My cholesterol is now near normal, and this is without making Pfizer rich!!
Good luck and good health to you! And God Bless!

[quote="leebill"]I seem to have all of the symptoms related to Lipitor. Have been off Lipitor for 9 months and have now much leg pain

Any suggestions for either of the above will be appreciated.[/quote]
crandreww

Postby leebill » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to hear you have not made a satisfactory recovery. We have just increased the dosage of COq10 to 600 mgs per day and intend to move to 800mgs per day if results are not forthcoming. We have just started so we will see what develops. This has been a very painful experience for my wife. She was on Lipitor and Tricor at an 80 mg rate! I took myself off lipitor and I am feeling better (mine was a much lower dose) with more energy.

I'm sure what you described is true regarding legal action. Outside of the oil industry, the drug companies have more power than probably any other industry and have more control over people's lives than any other factor that I know exists if matters of health are a concern.

I doubt that it is altogether their fault. We have alowed our lives to be directed rather than making stands for ourselves. The ease of taking a pill to get better without regard for the possible consequences is comanding to say the least!!

We will keep you in our thoughts think positive for your better health and complete recovery.

leebill
leebill

Reply for 'crandreww"

Postby sos_group_owner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi crandreww,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: My cholesterol is now near normal, and
this is without making Pfizer rich!!

CoEnzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone) - 120 mg 2x daily

I would suggest taking as well:
* Niacin 500mg 2x daily
* Red Yeast rice 600mg 2x/day
* Policosanol 2x/day
* Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil) - (cod liver oil is better than fish oil)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I applaud your tenacity in getting to the bottom of your statin side effects.

I'm curious as to why you are still trying to lower your cholesterol?
Your brain, heart and every cell in your body needs cholesterol.

Red Yeast Rice is a natural statin (lovastatin) and can cause all the same
nasty side effects as prescription statins, even though you are
supplementing with CoQ10. Statins and CoQ10 use the same mevalonate
pathway and "curtail the availability of ubiquinone (CoQ10), vital to
mitochondrial function and energy production".
Source: http://www.spacedoc.net/statins_aging.html

Niacin, even doses as low as 500 mg, can cause elevated homocysteine,
which in turn causes "inflammation".

Please read Dr Graveline's article: Statin Alternatives
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Fran
sos_group_owner

Policosanol with CoQ10

Postby nutrovitasub » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:56 pm

Policosanol is a blend of compounds isolated from natural plant waxes. Policosanol contains several long chain fatty alcohols, including octacosanol, hexacosanol and triacontanol. Animal and in-vitro research has shown that these compounds may support the cardiovascular system and inhibit lipid peroxidation as well as support macrophage activity. Coenzyme Q10 has been added to this product to promote adequate levels of this important nutrient. Research indicates that CoQ10 levels in the body may be lowered by compounds that work on the same metabolic pathway as policosanol. CoQ10 supports the cardiovascular system and cellular energy production.
Two tablets, in the evening, for the first three months. Thereafter, 1-2 tablets daily, or as recommended by your health care professional.
If taking anti-platelet medication, such as daily aspirin, consult your health care professional before using this product. Not for use by pregnant or breastfeeding women.

For Policosanol with CoQ10 Products :
ww.nutrovita.com/search.asp?keyword=Policosanol+with+CoQ10

For More Information ww.nutrovita.com
nutrovitasub

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)