Severe pain

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Severe pain

Postby indy5mike » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:24 pm

I was on 40 mg of Lipitor for 5 years and one Sunday I felt so bad I could not even get out of bed. I actually thought I was going to die. I got in to see my doctor on monday and he ordered blood work and founf out that my CPK was over 17,000. I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis and spent a week in the hospital while they pushed IV fluids into me to try and stop any organ damage. Long story short I have been seen by 20 or more different doctors for severe whole body pain and have been on narcotic pain meds (Vicoden, methodone, oxycontin, fentanyl patch) for 7 years so I can walk and keep working. Has anyone else had such severe pain from statins? The doctors have diagnosed me as having Fibromyalgia and all have told me this pain could not be caused by the statins. I have had shots in my spine, they have cut open my leg to take a muscle biopsey and the list goe on and on. This has been hell and no one (doctors) seem to think it could at all be statin related. Any others had this level of pain etc? Thanks
indy5mike

Postby David Staup » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Mike,

short answer is yes. Many of us suffer or have suffered much pain and it is statin related.

there are many avenues that statins cause pain, ie neuropathic pain, muscle pain. joint pain, abdominal pain, the list goes on but these are the main ones.

check the main web site as Doc G recently covered pain control in a recent newsletter.

your doctors and you need to understand that statins cause mitochondrial dysfunction through induced mutations. fibro and chronic fatigue are believed by many to be caused by mitochrondrial dysfunction so both are "possible" diagnosese after statin damage.

if you describe "all" of your symptoms many of us can point you to info concerning your particular symptom set.

there is a post in "statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs" that describes the symptoms of many of the statin adverse effects, you might want to read through that
David Staup

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)