Life is full of surprises!

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Life is full of surprises!

Postby JIMNSC » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:41 pm

Several months ago I mentioned weaning myself off Lipitor and Zetia, along with amiodarone (heart). Well, I’ve been dreading my semi-annual visit to the cardiologist all that time and appointment time finally arrived yesterday. I was not looking forward to hearing what he had to say about stopping those medications on my own. However, little did I know I was in for the shock of my life.

Those appointments generally begin with a nurse giving you an EKG. That is followed by the same nurse verifying your medications. You should have seen her face as she asked me, “You mean you discontinued these on your own?” Shortly the doc came into the room. He is generally very smug, curt, and not a very good listener. To my surprise his nurse had briefed him before he came in and his first words were, “Okay, tell me what you are doing since you’re not on those meds.”

I made him aware of my walking, working out on a Bow Flex, explained my diet (which is good), and laid out a list of the supplements I was taking. They included 3 grams of niacin, 1.5 grams C, Beta Sitosterol, B6/B12/Folic Acid, CoQ10, Policosanol, ALA, E, garlic and 3 grams omega 3 fish oil. The next 10 minutes were spent with his giving me an oral quiz about everything I had shared with him – I guess to see if I knew what I was doing. Next came the real shocker. He said he was glad to see somebody take charge of their own health and wished me luck. He congratulated me on dropping 15 pounds since the last visit and told me he was convinced I was serious about getting healthy. He reminded me I knew how to get in touch if I needed him and he didn’t need to see me for a year (not six months as had been the case for the last 15 years!).

I guess you do win a few along the way!

Good health to all - Jim :D
JIMNSC

Postby Cindy54NC » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 pm

That's great to hear! Do you know what your blood work results were? They must have been better!
Cindy54NC

Postby JIMNSC » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:24 am

Well, the total cholesterol nor the LDL was as good as when I was on statins but I expected that starting from scratch with no meds. However, my HDL was up and my triglycerides were way down. Better said, my lipids weren't sufficiently bad as to be placed on medication again.

They were 220 total

56 HDL

140 LDL

119 Triglycerides

Since that last post I have become "near" vegetarian and I hope the lipids will continue improving. My HDL may lower some but I hope to keep it up through exercise.

If nothing else, I feel so good about doing all "I" can to whip this old body into shape and not be dependent on medications. An interesting side note is the more weight I lose the better other conditions become. For example, I was on a diuretic and potassium for excessive fluid retention. I no longer need them. I was taking a supplement for prostate but no longer need it.

This has convinced me that 240 pounds causes me all sorts of problems I'm not having at 210 pounds. :)
JIMNSC

Postby Cindy54NC » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:06 pm

Well, the total cholesterol nor the LDL was as good as when I was on statins but I expected that starting from scratch with no meds. However, my HDL was up and my triglycerides were way down. Better said, my lipids weren't sufficiently bad as to be placed on medication again.
They were 220 total
56 HDL
140 LDL
119 Triglycerides

Since that last post I have become "near" vegetarian and I hope the lipids will continue improving. My HDL may lower some but I hope to keep it up through exercise.

If nothing else, I feel so good about doing all "I" can to whip this old body into shape and not be dependent on medications. An interesting side note is the more weight I lose the better other conditions become. For example, I was on a diuretic and potassium for excessive fluid retention. I no longer need them. I was taking a supplement for prostate but no longer need it.

This has convinced me that 240 pounds causes me all sorts of problems I'm not having at 210 pounds. :)

There is NOTHING wrong with a total of 220....especially with a HDL of 56 and Triglycerieds of 119! Until the start of statins, a "normal" total was under 300 or 350. As the statins become more accepted, the "normal" or "acceptable" levels drop lower and lower.

There is no evidence, however, or any advantage of lowering cholesterol. There is evidence, however, that lower numbers are NOT beneficial for all women, and men over the age of 48 or so. Even people with known cardiac disease.....they may not die of heart attack, but they still die.

Now....as for vegetarian diets? I'll state up-front that I am a meat eater, and feel very strongly that we were designed to eat meat. Someone that continues to eat dairy, eggs, etc is going to be bored, but able to get the proper nutrients needed.....but vegans are more likely to be deficient. Take Vit D for example. Recent researchindicates that animal Vit D is better than vegetable Vit D.

The same holds true for fats. Contrary to popular belief, animal fats are NOT unhealthy. It is much easier to get all the essential fats eating a variety of meats along with fruits and veggies than it is for a vegan.

When I increased my animal fat intake and dropped my veggie fat intake my HDL went from 38 to 58 in just 3 months. Increasing exercise didn't change it. Statins dropped it. But increasing animal fat increased it!

If you prefer vegetarian eating, enjoy.....but don't be surprised if your HDL stays the same or even drops. Maybe not right away.....after all, you are loosing weight, and that will help....but eventually your body is going to suffer for not getting sufficient essential fats and amino acids....unless you are very careful in choosing your foods. (Also be careful that your carbohydrate intake doesn't go up too high.....or your Tri's will go up and that's not good)
Cindy54NC

Postby JIMNSC » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:26 pm

Oh, Cindy, you sound like my mother used to sound. :lol:

My big thing right now is to get down to around 195 - 200 pounds although it has already been very expensive thus far. When your waist size changes 4 inches you can no longer alter the pants. I hope to maintain my HDL level through exercise (walking 5 miles and working out on a BowFlex every other day). I just need to get the LDL down.

As far as vegetarianism is concerned, notice I said "near" vegetarian. I will occasionally have skinless chicken in some form and I don't think I'll ever give up my salmon, tilapia, flounder and white fish. I'm really concentrating on fruit, vegetables, nuts and grains though and this has really helped with the weight. Truthfully, I could never call myself a true vegetarian - just using their style of eating for the most part.

Vitamin D, calcium and E are concerns from food only for me as I put every bite I eat daily into FitDay's software program. I used to use their site (which is free by the way) but I don't have to go on line now just to enter my foods. Once you've entered something it's twice as easy next time. I take a super soft gell multi from Swanson that gives me the remainder needed.

I'll let you know how things go on my "near" plan but I'd never try to sway anyone's thinking either way. What works well for me might not be so swell for the next person. I have blood work again mid-April and can't wait to see the results of my blood work.

Take care - Jim
JIMNSC

Reply for Jim

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:58 pm

Re: I hope to maintain my HDL level through exercise (walking 5 miles
and working out on a BowFlex every other day). I just need to get the
LDL down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Jim,

We've all been brainwashed into thinking LDL cholesterol is the enemy.
It's not... the "bad guy" is inflammation.
Your main concerns in addition to exercise and loosing weight should be:
Homocysteine and hs-CRP (High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein)
* optimal levels of homocysteine - 6.2 or less
* hs-CRP:
0 - 0.9 - Low Risk
1.0 - 3.0 - Moderate Risk
3.1 - 10.0 - High Risk (twice the risk as 'low risk')

Re: HDL - exercise is one way to raise HDL. The other is "saturated fats".
Yes, you heard me correctly. Butter and coconut oil will raise HDL.

The one thing that will cause HDL to plummet (in addition to statins)
is the low fat - low cholesterol diet... very unhealthy and probably the
main reason we are all over-weight and diabetic (or pre-diabetic).

These are Dr Graveline's recommendations...

Statin alternative(s) to reduce/prevent inflammation:
(IE: anti-oxidant, reduce platelet stickiness, controls homocysteine)
1) buffered aspirin - 81 mg
2) CoQ10 - 100 to 150 mg
3) folic acid - 400-800 mcg
B6 - 80-100mg
B12 - 200-250mcg
4) Omega 3 (fish oil or cod liver oil) [ There is no upper limit.]

These four items/categories have the same anti-inflammatory affect as
20 mg's of Lipitor, without side effects.

Please read Dr Graveline's article: "Statin Alternative"
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby JIMNSC » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:01 pm

"Re: HDL - exercise is one way to raise HDL. The other is "saturated fats".
Yes, you heard me correctly. Butter and coconut oil will raise HDL. "

Bless your heart, Fran.

I have worn out the Internet looking for statements from studies that say coconut oil will raise HDL to no avail. I don't doubt your word and want to believe you - - could you give me the link I've been searching for?

What, if any, effecxt does CO have on Total, LDL and triglycerides?

What's a good daily dosage?

Thanks in advance for any info you share with me.

Furhter, based on what you are saying, I can look for my HDL to plummet??

Jim
JIMNSC

Reply for Jim - Coconut Oil

Postby sos_group_owner » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi Jim,

Mary Enig is the "guru" for coconut oil.
Lots of CO articles below.
Re: triglycerides
- Elevations are usually a direct result of a high carb diet.
The white foods, especially sugar, send trig's soaring.
Other offenders: white flour, rice, potato, bread, pasta.
Replace with whole grains.
And stop worrying about your LDL.
Think "inflammation"... concentrate on homocysteine & hs-CRP.

Fran

"Coconut: In Support of Good Health in the 21st Century"
ww.coconutoil.com/coconut_oil_21st_century.htm

"Mary Enig Ph.D. on the Effects of Coconut Oil on Serum Cholesterol Levels and HDLs"
ww.coconutoil.com/enig_cholesterol.htm

"Mary Enig's website with research on Lauric acid and coconut products"
ww.lauric.org/index.html

"New Look at Coconut Oil"
ww.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/coconut_oil.html

And several excellent articles:
"BEYOND THE LIPID HYPOTHESIS
- Exposing the Fallacy That Cholesterol and Saturated Fat Cause Heart Disease"
ww.thincs.org/WAPF2003.htm
sos_group_owner

Postby Cindy54NC » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:56 pm

I'm a big proponent of saturated fats, animal and vegetable. I feel much better since I started increasing saturated fats.

I mostly use coconut oil for cooking.
Cindy54NC

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)