Are Some More Susceptible to Side Effects then Others?

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Are Some More Susceptible to Side Effects then Others?

Postby WifeWithConcerns » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:48 pm

The reason I ask this question is because on Jan. 24, a cardiologist started my husband on 40 mg. of Vytorin and by January 28, he discovered that he had completely forgotten how to do a tax return. He's an accountant and has been doing taxes for 30 years so it's not like he doesn't know how to do them. On the 29th, he decided to stop taking the Vytorin, and find a new cardiologist.

February 1, the new cardiologist told my husband to start taking 40 mg. of Lipitor on Feb 2 and, by February 6 he experienced severe back pain and stopped taking the Lipitor. After reading the postings at this forum he now realizes that it was these statin drugs causing him the problems he experienced and has decided that the side effects of statins is just not worth it to him so he's going to tell the cardiologist at his next appointment tomorrow, Feb 8, that he refuses to take any form of statin drugs. We know this is not going to make the doctor happy but, after all, it is my husband's choice and his body!

My husband has never been one to take medications, not even an aspirin for headache.....could the fact that he's not used to having these foreign drugs in his system be the reason why these statins would affect him so quickly?

The cardiologist has also put my husband on 5mg of Norvasc for high blood pressure (which is questionable because his levels are within the normal range), and 1 enteric coated aspirin a day.

P.S--Last night I received an email from my female cousin who had been taking Lipitor for 2 months and is now experiencing excruciating pain in her legs. She says it literally feels like her muscles are being ripped from her legs.
WifeWithConcerns

Reply for "WifeWithConcerns"

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:05 pm

Hello fellow "Wife With Concerns",

Your doctor(s) are going to try to frighten you and your husband into
resuming either Lipitor at a lower dose or yet another statin. Most
doctors challenge their patients with 3 or 4 different statins before the
doctor finally realizes their patient just can't tolerate this class of drugs.
The unfortunate realization is that this pattern can and does cause
permanent damage.

My first question is:
Why did your Cardio start with such a high dose of Lipitor (40 mg)?
Dr Graveline experienced TGA from just 10 mg of Lipitor and my
husband had several bouts of TGA from 20 mg of Lipitor.

And a few other questions:
Are your husband's cholesterol levels that high?
HDL?
LDL?
Triglycerides?

Does he have other risk factors?
Diabetes?
Smokes?
History of heart disease?

Re: Norvasc for BP.
It's actually for angina and high blood pressure.
There is a lower dose of 2.5 mg.
What was your husband's BP in the doctor's office?
Do you take his BP at home?
Some have "white coat syndrome" and only have high BP in the Dr's ofc.
Info on Norvasc:
ww.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/nor1306.shtml

Sorry for all these questions, but it sounds like your doctors are being
very aggressive with high dose drugs.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Cindy54NC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:46 pm

Wife....wondering how things are going?

Yes, I do think that some people are more susceptable to reactions than others are.....just like any drug on the market. (And a host of other things). But I don't think it really has anything to do with what your previous history with medications. Current medications may react with each other....or potentiate the effect of others....but how you react to the drug in question is how your body reacts to the specific chemical.

Curious about what happened at doc's and how your husband is doing. I was given 2 different statins....and refused any more. I've read that if one causes a problem, they all will. My only risk was high cholesterol. I no longer worry about my numbers, just try to live right.

Fran....good questions (Hi Fran, Alcinda here)
Cindy54NC

TKU

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:16 am

Thank You Alcinda...
I hope "WifeWithConcerns" checks back for responses.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)