lipitor and trans global amnesia

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

lipitor and trans global amnesia

Postby gadinsky » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:04 am

i am a 48 yr old male who was minding his own business driving to work last tuesday when i caused three car accidents in the span of an hour and could remember very little of what had happened. i do remember a motorist honking at me and asking me if i were drunk, though.

luckily i was not hurt nor was anyone else.....but it freaked me out. i went to my doctor and he told me about TGA. i then went home and googled TGA and found your article. i have been taking lipitor for 6 months and the coincidence is just uncanny!

i have since taken an MRI which was totally negative. i will take an EEG later this week, as a precaution.

and i have flushed my lipitor down the toilet. i will look for a more healthy alternative.
gadinsky

Postby Cindy54NC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:56 pm

I had two episodes while on Lipitor for less than 8 months.

The first was just kinda like a lost night. The second one took place in work. I had been to a meeting, participated, and volunteered to follow up on something. I "woke up" sitting at my desk, having lost a couple of hours. I found out about the volunteer f/u when my boss came looking for it!!!!

I also had a terrible time with memory the whole time I was on Lipitor. I've never had the greatest memory, but I was seriously concerned that I was developing Alheimers!

Before you go back to your doc, arm yourself with info about statins. Also check out some of the info on the whole cholesterol myth! Anthony Colpo's The Omnivore, Joseph Mercola, Weston A Price, Uffe Ravnskov are all great places to start.

Cindy
Cindy54NC

amnesia

Postby michael eckersley » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:52 pm

I have just come out of hospital having lost my memory and acting unrationally.
After a cat scan which was fine,They thought I had a stroke and did colloted artury and echo tests, those were fine then they did a mri and eeg which were also fine.
I have an appointment with my doctor again tomorrow and will discuss spacedoc with him and see if he will look at it.
michael eckersley

Postby Cindy54NC » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:44 pm

good luck Michael! Let us know how things go!

Cindy
Cindy54NC

Postby michael eckersley » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:12 pm

Yes it was pretty scary, My daughter in the Uk found the spacedoc pages and called my son, describing the symptoms and all he could do was say yes yes yes.
I have been on 40mg of Lipitor for 2 1/2 years and have not to my knowledge had any symptoms before, but like the articals say aches and pains that i just put down to age, I am 67 also senior moments.
I have no memory from about 10am to 2am when I was in a hospital ER.
It is pretty scary because I left the office in my car and fortunately went to my massage therapist instead of a blood test appointment in the same area. He called the office and had stopped me driving again, my son collected me and took me straight to the hospital.
michael eckersley

TGA

Postby GeoM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:39 pm

I've taken Lipitor for about 5 years. Started at 40mg, then 20, then 10. In April I had a textbook case of TGA. I remember showering for work and being home when the EMT's, deputy and boss from work showed up at my house 5 hours later. Apparently I drove to work, worked about three hours and drove home after saying I'd drive myself to the hospital. I exhibited the classic behaviors of TGA. After 3 days in the hospital with CAT scan, MRI, echocardiogram of heart and neck artery, consultations with neurologists etc, the general response was, "We don't know. Everything looks fine. Thanks for the interesting case." Wish I'd investigated sooner rather than later the potential side effects.
GeoM

Postby Glenn Ringer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:50 pm

I have had 4 known episodes of TGA scarey, not so much for me as for my family since I knew nothing of what happened. My first eposide was on JUly 5,2007 after being on Lipitor for 12 plus years, not exactlly sure when I first began taking it. I have had reaccuring episodes approximately 3 weeks apart, the last one being Sept 5,2007. The one that has really changed my lifestyle was No.3 when I mowed at our church, got gas in the tractor( which meant crossing 4 lanes of traffic) , talking to a fellow mower, putting the tractor away, getting in my car and driving to the house I had moved from 7 years earlier, parking the car and going in as if I was home. Luckely the lady who lives there realized I was harmless and definatly confused. She contacted my former neighbor who took me to her house for coffee and contacted my family. By the time they arrived I was normal again and wondering why I was there and where my car was. Of course I ended up in emergency after the first episode and after some testing I was sent home being told it was TGA and not likey to happen again. Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have had 1 episode since then and my wife took me straight to the Dr. so they could see how this transpires. Needless to say his interest really peaked since I think I am his first case of TGA ever. Each of my episodes lasted about 45 minutes and as I said they have been about 3 weeks apart. It has been 2 weeks now so only time will tell what will happen.
Glenn Ringer

TGA

Postby eml256 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:59 am

Glenn, did you discontinue the statin? and did your physician agree that the episode of TGA was an adverse effect of the statin?
eml256

Postby Glenn Ringer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:22 am

Yes I did stop using statins per my Dr. instructions. He thinks there is a possible link to TGA but since I am his first case of course he isnt sure but he is very interested and open to any possibility.
Glenn Ringer

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)